Finally joined the Marantz Club w/2235B!!

Lo-Fidelity

I am pumped! Bought a grimy dust covered 2235B from an estate sale today for $50. Took a chance on it as none of the lights were working and only the right speaker was hooked up, but the tuner did work and the right speaker had sound. Hooked it up tonight and much to my surprise it worked and sounded great! Now all I need to do is give it a good cleaning and replace the lights. Glad to be a member of the Marantz Club. Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Rick

Congratulations upon finding such a rare, good bargain. I got my Marantz 2235B off of Ebay and so had to pay a lot more for it than you did. I loved it more after replacing lights with LEDs, deoxed it and fully recapped it. The 2235B is a very good example of a classic Marantz.

Bunty,
What color LEDs did you go with? Did you replace all the lights or only the tuner dial? I find it odd that all the input selector lights work, but none of the dial or meter lights work. LED seems like the way to go, but is there an argument for incandescent?
Rick

I like the Blue. You will want to change your velous paper. It goes behind the blue dial that is held on with 2 sided tape. Be very careful in removing the dial, and Please, Please use a cloth over the socket so you don't leave scratches on the faceplate. The idea is to leave no sign that you worked on it. Use padding on your bench if your rolling it around,

It is odd that all the selector lights do not work. without looking at a schematic, i would say to see if there is a common ground or power feed to them all.

Last edited:
I have a friend who seems to specialize in high power Pioneer, but periodically ends up with a few pieces of Marantz. After two week of looking at a Marantz 2226b and a Marantz 1090 I bought both, had to give up Yamaha C 110 II A/T which through a pair of Dahlquists was sweet soul music. Made a good choice, when I picked up the Marantz I also scored a pair of HPM 40's. What a ear shattering difference. The bad, the second day the 1090 gave up the ghost, hoping it's just a pre-amp. You got a great price, work it and enjoy

Bunty,
What color LEDs did you go with? Did you replace all the lights or only the tuner dial? I find it odd that all the input selector lights work, but none of the dial or meter lights work. LED seems like the way to go, but is there an argument for incandescent?
Rick

I used warm white LEDs for the dial and meters. I didn't try to go in and replace the velous paper. I felt there was too much risk for causing damage. Besides, without new velous paper, the LEDs look noticeably brighter than the incandescents. I tend to believe using blue LEDs would look too blue.

I used warm white LEDs for the dial and meters. I didn't try to go in and replace the velous paper. I felt there was too much risk for causing damage. Besides, without new velous paper, the LEDs look noticeably brighter than the incandescents. I tend to believe using blue LEDs would look too blue.

Same for me and prefer not straying to far away from the already great look.

Congrats on getting a sweet little Marantz. (In my book there is no "little" anything about bringing anything vintage Marantz into the fold!)
Your Marantz does represent the sound extremely nicely and that is after tons of comparing. The closest I own is a 2238b but have heard most at this point. Nice nice stuff that's sound is special no matter what they are getting compared to. (A safe extremely rich take that belies how many watts they actually do max out at.....35 watts is a lot when you have quality and efficient speaks.)

Thanks for all the thoughts on lighting. At this point I'll probably go with the warm white LEDs and leave the velum in place just to keep it simple. Any recommendations on LED sources?

I really lucked into this unit. The estate sale was focused on nautical items including over 100 small cannons, and I was the only one there specifically for the Marantz. Since none of the lights worked, I think they priced it just to get it out of the way and I was glad to help out. Listened to it for several hours last night and tonight, and I just love the sound. Can't wait to get the lights working. Ever since I was in high school I thought the Marantz units were the best looking receivers.

Rick

Both receivers have new velum paper.
The 2010 has the correct incandescent bulbs.
The 2230 Has ben relamped with warm white LED’s
These photos clearly show the difference between LED’ & the stock bulbs .

Personally the 2230 looks way too cobalt blue & over bright to my eye.
I prefer the vintage look of the incandescent bulbs in the 2010 especially when the lights are low or off.
YMMV
PQ

Last edited:
PQ,

Great photos. The incandescent is the look that I lusted after as a teenager. No brainer unless there are some LEDs that can match the warmth and coloration of the incandescent.

Thanks,
Rick

Last edited:
My recently purchased 2252b was rebulbed with incandescent bulbs. LEDs look good but can be too bright taking away from the stock vintage look.

My recently purchased 2252b was rebulbed with incandescent bulbs. LEDs look good but can be too bright taking away from the stock vintage look.
Vintage incandescent looks too dim to me, especially in a bright room, plus LEDs give off much less heat.

Any recommendations for incandescent lamps sources? Found a one source, AMK Products, which has all the lamps for about $20, but would like to do business based on AK recommendations.

Congrats on the great find! Yeah, stick with the incandescents for the correct look.

Dgwojo is AK member. http://www.dgwojo.com/index.php?p=1_2_Products

IMG_20141109_083928.jpg

maybe contact someone in the adds at the bottom of the page. Tom (Catrafter) may have some. Thanks for keeping it in the family and helping our sponsors.

Chicks,
Thanks for the lead on lights. Did your receiver come with the wooden cabinet or is it custom built? I would love to build something like that if plans were available.
Rick

Case is an original, bought from AK member BigVoyevoda. Well worth buying, really completes the look.

Back
Top Bottom