The use of "B" speaker outputs. Why do you do it?

Why do you use B speaker outputs

• Total voters

jeffn

Mid-Fi Crisis
Many amps have outputs for 2 pair of speakers....... Do you use them and why?

Or why use B-outputs when you have an excuse for another complete amp?

Hi Steve... I'm Mike, welcome to stack group... :eek:
Now... where are the donut's and coffee :confused:

I use "B" to run two pairs in the same room but at different times -- I switch and swap speakers to match whatever I'm listening to at a given time. Also, I don't want to strain my amps/receivers by running two sets simultaneously, And, if I ran two pairs of speakers I'd probably lose my hearing altogether. :nono:

Also, I have progressive eyeglass lenses so I don't have to wear thick glasses. And I'm not wearing any pants! :naughty:

soundweasel said:
I use "B" to run two pairs in the same room but at different times -- I switch and swap speakers to match whatever I'm listening to at a given time. Also, I don't want to strain my amps/receivers by running two sets simultaneously, And, if I ran two pairs of speakers I'd probably lose my hearing altogether. :nono:

Also, I have progressive eyeglass lenses so I don't have to wear thick glasses. And I'm not wearing any pants! :naughty:

What he said. Too damn chilly here to run around nekkid, tho'.

I primarily use A channel and use both A and B when I want to spice up the sound a bit, or when I listen at a semi loud level. Somtimes I use it like some may use a reverb unit, as a change of pace or novelty

Played two pair, all different combos, for a coupla decades, at least.
lately I've been running a 100w marantz which requires A or B, not
A and B, and it's been fun listening to the relative strengths and weaknesses
of one pair of speakers.

Can't find a check box for "None of the above". I only ever used the "B" terminals to experiment with a Dynaco-style derived third rear channel (connecting a third speaker's cable to both B-channel "+" terminals).
Tom

OvenMaster said:
Can't find a check box for "None of the above". I only ever used the "B" terminals to experiment with a Dynaco-style derived third rear channel (connecting a third speaker's cable to both B-channel "+" terminals).
Tom

I must know more......Do elaborate!:scratch2:

Very simple.

*Take a single speaker, and put a cable on its terminals. Place this speaker behind your main listening chair. It's best to have one that matches your other main speakers so they'll all sound the same.

*Take that cable, and put one end on the Left B-channel's "+" terminal, and the other on the Right B-channel's "+" terminal. Leave the "-" terminals empty.

(This will not work on an amplifier that has A+B connections in series. To test, have only one pair of speakers set up on your amp, on the "A" terminals. If you can still hear sound from your main speakers when you put the speaker selector switch on "A+B", then this will work for you.)

*Turn the amp down to 0, put the amp in Mono, turn on the "B" terminals, and power up the amp.

*Now to adjust for proper balance. Turn on your FM tuner to a mono signal. Turn up your amp's volume to a fairly low level. Adjust your Balance control so that you get minimum output from that one speaker.

*Switch your tuner to Stereo. What you're now hearing is the electrical difference between the Left and Right channels. Most often, you'll hear echoes, ambient sound, backing vocals, other instruments. This will work with all input sources: CD, LP, tape, FM...

*Put on a CD or LP, and switch your amp to "A+B". The rear channel on "B" will give you a derived "surround" or third channel. Some people use an L-pad to adjust the volume for more realistic ambience.

Tom :D

Um, uh, one of the "A" terminals is not functioning properly on my KA-9100, therefore I use the "B" terminals to run one set of speakers.

Man, I hate the way these pants stick in my crack!

I wish I had speaker switches. I'd use them to listen to different speakers in the same room. To switch between horns and cones.

I know. I can buy speaker selector boxes but the ones I want (Bryston) are too damn pricey.

Back
Top Bottom