What do you want to see from McIntosh?

A Dynamic room equalizer and high bit file reader

My local Mc dealer called to offer his used MEN220. I didn't want it after thinking about it. The MEN220 calibrates, sets the optimum curve and then pretty much takes a back seat to any future performance. My C48 can remember the last volume setting and the last choice of Equalizer 'On' or was it 'Off', but the C48 cannot tweak the equalizer frequencies across the choices of source. That is, I might want my vinyl playback on 'flat', my tuner with the bass and midrange turned up and the CD player to have zero gain on bass.

I've been very happy with my basic all-Mc stack and added:
Grace Digital Tuner / networked radio
Teac CD-P650
2x TASCAM DA-3000 mostly recording 192kHz / 24 bit or 48kHz / 16 PCM files.

The Grace tuner can stream from a network storage anything I record with the DA-3000, excluding DSD audio. Although I have to use a networked computer to transfer the file with Flash Card or SD card media to the storage.

So, my wish for McIntosh for a media >>>Audio File player, NOT AV<<< would have the capabilities of my four add-on components. I have 2 TASCAM DA-3000 just so I can make my own DSD files (it's a one bit, 2.8MHz digital file). Playback for DSD has to come from the TASCAM unfortunately, and McIntosh doesn't have the coaxial digital connection in the back. I may investigate what balanced leads could do for me --> both the Mc C48 and the DA-3000 have balanced connections. I just never saw the point in paying the price for balanced leads for a home installation.

I would argue that AV is a moving target and constantly converging into an appliance. Audiophile will still be a distinct hobby. Mc needs a modern multi-format audio player.

My local Mc dealer called to offer his used MEN220. I didn't want it after thinking about it. The MEN220 calibrates, sets the optimum curve and then pretty much takes a back seat to any future performance. My C48 can remember the last volume setting and the last choice of Equalizer 'On' or was it 'Off', but the C48 cannot tweak the equalizer frequencies across the choices of source. That is, I might want my vinyl playback on 'flat', my tuner with the bass and midrange turned up and the CD player to have zero gain on bass.

I've been very happy with my basic all-Mc stack and added:
Grace Digital Tuner / networked radio
Teac CD-P650
2x TASCAM DA-3000 mostly recording 192kHz / 24 bit or 48kHz / 16 PCM files.

The Grace tuner can stream from a network storage anything I record with the DA-3000, excluding DSD audio. Although I have to use a networked computer to transfer the file with Flash Card or SD card media to the storage.

So, my wish for McIntosh for a media >>>Audio File player, NOT AV<<< would have the capabilities of my four add-on components. I have 2 TASCAM DA-3000 just so I can make my own DSD files (it's a one bit, 2.8MHz digital file). Playback for DSD has to come from the TASCAM unfortunately, and McIntosh doesn't have the coaxial digital connection in the back. I may investigate what balanced leads could do for me --> both the Mc C48 and the DA-3000 have balanced connections. I just never saw the point in paying the price for balanced leads for a home installation.

I would argue that AV is a moving target and constantly converging into an appliance. Audiophile will still be a distinct hobby. Mc needs a modern multi-format audio player.

Hi- that's quite a set-up with two Tascam Units. This is for Vinyl, right? Did you know they have the Burr Brown, Texas Instruments, PCM1795 digital to analog converter (DAC) that is found in the McIntosh C50/2500? There are different analog stages, but the C50/2500/Tascam DA-3000 have much of the same audible benefits. The TI 4202 analog to digital converter (ADC) is also first rate. Playback should be great no matter what you do.

Buy the MEN220. I utilize the active crossover, Digital Signal Processor (DSP) Room Correction and Equalizer (EQ). I want to get a Windows PC in order to use the voicing tool and make my own custom EQ curves. Post a new or pile on a old thread about the MEN220. There will be a great response. The MEN220 is a recommended component.

What I interpret from your multitudinous thoughts, McIntosh should produce a product that records. That's a hard thing to find these days, but in the interest of making your own archival recordings there is a market.

Last edited:
I thought I had all bases covered with C48

@o0OBillO0o
It was a fortuitous discovery that I could beam audio over the internet to wherever I be and bluetooth to my hearing aids much like wireless headphones. I wanted a clean signal so that purpose engendered first one DA-3000, then I wanted DSD and that brought in DA-3000 No. 2.

The Mc hi-fi stack I've got is remarkably the cleanest signal ever I have played with. Vinyl is the best of dynamic emphasis of any given single tone. I have since learned vinyl can have variation with sometimes the 180-gram vinyl re-issue being a lessor sound. So, in my estimation I've got a tool to 'photoshop' vinyl and have my own radio station.

Now, if I could optimize DSD files at the NAS to give the best framerate to the smartphone or other bluetooth receiver... THAT would make me giggle and put a smile to myself.

AV is obsolete. McIntosh cannot make value in HT. That's personal opinion but I think visual entertainment won't be the form factor we know it today.

HDMI switcher that extracts 6 channel analog and can be controlled by input selection voltages.

@o0OBillO0o
It was a fortuitous discovery that I could beam audio over the internet to wherever I be and bluetooth to my hearing aids much like wireless headphones. I wanted a clean signal so that purpose engendered first one DA-3000, then I wanted DSD and that brought in DA-3000 No. 2.

The Mc hi-fi stack I've got is remarkably the cleanest signal ever I have played with. Vinyl is the best of dynamic emphasis of any given single tone. I have since learned vinyl can have variation with sometimes the 180-gram vinyl re-issue being a lessor sound. So, in my estimation I've got a tool to 'photoshop' vinyl and have my own radio station.

Now, if I could optimize DSD files at the NAS to give the best framerate to the smartphone or other bluetooth receiver... THAT would make me giggle and put a smile to myself.

AV is obsolete. McIntosh cannot make value in HT. That's personal opinion but I think visual entertainment won't be the form factor we know it today.

I think a multichannel pre-amp with digital and analog inputs would be of value.

1) Active speakers !!!
Full McIntosh competence in speakers, amps and ELECTRONICS in One Product!

2) an extension box for the D150
AD Converter (MC, MM, line input) with digital din PASSTHROUGH to can still connect the new CD player.

3) McIntosh "MB150" Media Bridge with Digital Din out and Din passthrough
To connect to D150

Thanks

Last edited:
There used to be a thread about what products people wanted to see McIntosh produce in the future. Much of what was mentioned in the old thread has come to fruition so I thought we could start fresh and let Ron know what we would like to see in 2005 and beyond.

I'll start.

(1) Introduce a 5 channel amp with balanced inputs as a match for the C45. There are 6 and 7 channel amps designed for home theater and without balanced inputs but nothing specifically designed for multi-channel audio sources in mind. The C45 was designed this way and deserves a proper companion.

(2) Introduce a 50 watt tube amp similar in size and design to the MC752 and MC754 ss amps. Connections on the back please! As much as I would like to get an MC275 I just cannot get past the design. I don't like having cables all over the place. I'm curious as to why McIntosh tube amps were designed this way.

(3) Redesign the C2200 tube preamp with the digital source selector, fiber optics, etc and make it so the tubes are visible.

(4) Update the MA2275 integrated tube amp with the ability to use the TM1 tuner module. Imagine a McIntosh inegrated tube amp that can be upgraded to a McIntosh tube receiver. It also brings a 2-channel receiver back into the lineup so we kill two birds with one stone here.

(5) Update the MVP861 so it competes with the competition. Yes, it just came out but it is seriously lacking. It needs HDMI with HD upconversion and better video DACs to compete with Onkyo and Denon. Aesthetics aside they are crushing McIntosh at 1/3rd the price.

(6) Publish a History of McIntosh book. Come on, someone's got to produce one, even if it is an expensive limited edition or something.

So what do you want to see from McIntosh?
McIntosh receiver with HT included.

A nice streamer only unit to match my MDA200 dac. Not a bluetooth, the one they already make can't compete with cheaper units.

Let me think. A much improved MT-10. A program equalizer. Be nice if it were parametric. Three way and two way Stereo crossovers. Most wanted is a 4K DVD CD player. IF I were dreaming a MK II version of the XR 290 with all American drivers and crossovers. I detest the sound of the screechy XRT 1.0K the XRT1.1k, The XRT 2,0 K and The XRT 2.1K . Rogers speakers were never like that. I guess they voicing the speakers for guys who can't hear above 8 Khz any more.

Less digital user interface and screens - more classic knobs and switches on the front control panel.

Of course I want them to keep being the best at support for their older gear since that is all I can afford. :rflmao:

Less digital user interface and screens - more classic knobs and switches on the front control panel.

Of course I want them to keep being the best at support for their older gear since that is all I can afford. :rflmao:
And your wish would just reinforce that by driving up the cost of the new items. But I do agree with you about the user interface. It can be confusing and pretty tedious to some.

A new tuner preamp and / or a step up receiver, like a MAC8950

And while I’m at it, a smaller lower power amp with traditional styling including knobs instead of buttons, heat sinks, autoformers etc

Any of these and I’d be tempted to upgrade my vintage system to new. As it sits the product line just doesn’t have what I would most like.

And while I’m at it, a smaller lower power amp with traditional styling including knobs instead of buttons, heat sinks, autoformers etc
Are you saying that you'd rather have knobs than buttons, heat sinks and autoformers? :idea: Not sure that would be a good trade off.

Knobs, autoformers and heat sinks please.

The MC152 is close. It has a more compact form factor but push buttons rather than knobs. And although it has autoformers (and presumably heat sinks), they are hidden under a plain flat lid.

Just wish they’d dress it up in more traditional McIntosh livery is all.

Lets see I had my two 7200 from around 1990 to 2008 with out any problems. I Had my 206 from 2008 till 2021. THe 207 came along 2008 or 9.. The second 207 I got in early 2022 after being out production, but it was still new. THen came the two MC 830's for the STereo speakers Last year. In all those years and all those models I had to have a meter replaced under warranty and had to clean all the volume controls on the preowned 206. I traded it in on the the second 207 and I got more money than I paid for it originally. HT amps usually don't hold their price that well, but the 206 did. All the amps mentioned don't have autoformers. MY HT speakers really need higher damping factor that the Autoformer's just dont provide. THE CROWN DC-300A (2) amps I had from 75 to 1990 had to be sent to Crown for total rebuilds twice. THe CHurch owned the company at the time. All I had to pay was freight to Crown. Never had issues with the D150 A's. So Having Mcintosh direct couple amps with Power Guard I have one had failure in 68 years of total owner ship. I know my two 275's , two 240's. and two MC 60's not did hold up that well over 29 accumilated years. THe 240's had twice the issues the 275's did. The MC 60's only needed tubes from time to time. I tried 2100's with the low distortion up date, but the bass was just to sloppy. So thats when I switched to Crown. When I heard the 7200 for the first time, it was time for the Crowns to go and they did. I didn't get significant money for them with their repair history.Scan.jpg

Back
Top Bottom