Sansui AU-D9 restoration

Kale

I've been away for a long time with restorations on Sansuies, So here it is one what is still in progress ...
Sansui Aplifier AU-D9. Sorry what I dont have a picture on which you will see how it was looking when I got it, but I have lot of other interesting picture what I took during my restoration job on that nice amplifier.

But right at the beginning this thing was suspicious to me:

pict2180a_zpshaak6rpu.jpg

This yellow wire was in the air (not connected)!! And uninsulated too!!!
In that moment I knew it will be one interesting restoration….
That yellow wire is one “sensor” for protection circuit, so maybe this amplifier was in protection mode all time, and previous technician fixed this with disconnection of this wire!

Another interesting thing what I have noticed is this:

PICT2198_zps97chqbjt.jpg

PICT2200_zpssp2r4ipp.jpg

I really dont know why previous technician replaced those two 2sa992 small signal transistors in Diamond-Differential circuit with totally inadequate those TO220 transistors. Because of that you cannot adjust DC Offset to close to zero voltage. I replaced all transistors in complete Diamond-Differential circuit with matched 2SA992 2SC1845 transistors. You see that previous technician changed all carbon film resistors in that circuit with metal film resistors…. it is good but if you asking me, unnecessary.

Plus, the same technician damaged printed circuits during dismounting those transistors…

PICT2181_zpshkarrt5d.jpg

This amplifier has cooling of power stage by heat pipe system. Many peoples don’t like that way of cooling, but it is very effective and it has much less weight as normal aluminum heat sink cooling system. But because peoples like to see a massive aluminum heat sink in theirs amplifiers, and because heavy weight amplifier is more audiophile than less weight amplifier, Sansui quit in later amplifiers with that way of cooling and they came back to aluminum heat sink…

PICT2192_zpsrhgbd0wk.jpg

I removed entire old thermal grease and putted a new, washed all parts of that cooling system…

PICT2193_zpsfkzmkdz5.jpg

PICT2194_zpsq7rbaqzj.jpg

... but, please look those holes:

PICT2195_zpsf5dslcbd.jpg

Those holes was for fixing parts of that heat radiator, I dodnt know why Sansui didnt fixed them… so I did that job on this way:

PICT2196_zpsw3chg6ln.jpg

PICT2197_zpstfydf0ur.jpg

On the next picture you can see how it look like connection pin of one capacitor what was on driver board...

PICT2203_zpssvlfg6sr.jpg

PICT2203a_zpspb0dqh6u.jpg

And here it is amplifier without Driver board

PICT2205_zpsnqo1cxwp.jpg

PICT2204_zpste2tmpmj.jpg

Hi Kale, Good to see you posting again with more epic tales from your Sansui restorations.

You are a great inspiration to many here, not the least = Me ! ;)

Hi John, thank you!
In the past I didnt have so much time to do restorations, but now I am retired, so I hope that it will be more Sansui restorations threads in future :D.

Welcome back

We hope, too! :thmbsp:

The pictures are really nicely taken, showing details, excellent light!

Subscribed! :lurk:

The next step was Phono / Power Supply Board... after I disassembled the board, I noticed that the space below board was not so clean…

PICT2221_zpsari726hh.jpg

PICT2222_zpsobndezer.jpg

The next thing what I have noticed is that on some parts of this board generated so much heat, look

PICT2224_zpspzof7u61.jpg

That is not some shadow!

And on the next picture you can se two the same capacitors what I have removed, first was close to heat element, and the second was not...

pict2235_zpsrxk7rnmk.jpg

That is known Sansui glue what is completely darkened because of high temperatures.

PICT2237_zpshtqnf9nv.jpg

Because of all I decided here to use Nichicon KA series of audio capacitors which are 105 degrees C

PICT2236_zpsfn4sucbp.jpg

We hope, too! :thmbsp:

The pictures are really nicely taken, showing details, excellent light!

Subscribed! :lurk:

Thank you... Can you believe that these pictures were taken by camera which is old perhaps over 10 years and which is only 3.2 Mpix camera.

Ok,let's continue…
Here I made one upgrade :)
This is a situation what I found

PICT2238_zpskzn1pneo.jpg

That hole was for another screw which fixing aluminum heat sink to the board.

PICT2239_zpshyjofydx.jpg

I was wondering how Sansui forgot to put that screw, but when I did, it was clear to me why Sansui didn’t put that screw at that place… it is so close to the printed circuits!

And solution for that is:

PICT2240_zpszuawbewt.jpg

Simple and efficient!

This is aluminum heat sink about what I was talking in previous post...

PICT2244_zpsywl2dtsp.jpg

But I must say that I was very surprised how badly was thermal grease between that transistor and heat-sink! That was not grease any more, that was some kind of dried mixture which I could not remove, not even by thinner!

And I did a big job to instal those two 1000uF Snap-In capacitors instead old normal radial capacitors...

PICT2242_zpsagnzyujk.jpg

I had to made a new contact points on circuit board for that capacitor because it had bigger raster than old ones... capacitor symbol show how it is connected now, and circles how it was before...

PICT2299_zpsu1yrwldg.jpg

... and what has changed just at that part of Phono Board...

PICT2245_zpsprkrvb7b.jpg

And another board is ready for installing....

PICT2246_zpsj4uqdlhb.jpg

PICT2247_zpsmfnlptk3.jpg

On that picture how it was looking after I removed complete old rosin

PICT2248_zpsy7s4oljz.jpg

and how it is looking now

PICT2250_zps866h1iwk.jpg

PICT2251_zpsxa781rqt.jpg

And now we are moving to the back of amplifier…

pict2252_zpsdyj5xa7w.jpg

And here I had one very specific problem...
When I desoldered all pins of that selector from board,

PICT2254_zps2lobhtis.jpg

some of them was bent (that was done in the factory to fix selector to the board before soldering complete board)… and when I tried to straighten it, it was broken! So only what I had to do is to fix it on that way:

PICT2255_zpsxdquwhnh.jpg

PICT2256_zps8i0vzryq.jpg

Continue ... classics ... cleaning

... how it was....

PICT2258_zpswu4rcq5j.jpg

... how it is now ....

PICT2259_zpsrwkdjy9v.jpg

PICT2260_zpsunldzpqq.jpg

... another selector...

PICT2262_zpsvjygtd1y.jpg

... cleaned ...

PICT2263_zpswi1jl0h1.jpg

Here I would like to stop, just to show you one detail...

Look at the contacts of that selector:

PICT2264_zps9dcin20n.jpg

as you probably see, there are two types of contacts, two are longer (type "a") and one is shorter (type "b")

PICT2264a_zpstcqlctrp.jpg

First contact type "a"
When it is moving from position to position, at one moment that contact connect common contact with two slave contacts.

PICT2265a_zps4at1dvoe.jpg

and now contact type "b"
when it is moving from position to position, Common contact never make contact to the two slave contacts in the same time!

PICT2265b_zpstyrlm1iz.jpg

Why I am telling this? Because you should always be focused on the task, and you should pay attention to every detail during the restoration job...

This is aluminum heat sink about what I was talking in previous post...

PICT2244_zpsywl2dtsp.jpg

But I must say that I was very surprised how badly was thermal grease between that transistor and heat-sink! That was not grease any more, that was some kind of dried mixture which I could not remove, not even by thinner!

I had a similar situation while refurbishing an amp a year ago: the transistor was just bolted to a heat sink with no thermal grease! Note the transistor's rough surface...
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showpost.php?p=7527432&postcount=27

Those RCA connectors was not looking so nice, so I decided to polish them

PICT2266_zpsygl1xcfe.jpg

and now they looking very nice....

PICT2267_zpspxpvgxmf.jpg

...replaced all capacitors at Protection Board...

PICT2271_zpsx6g0joyb.jpg

... some solder points on that board was not so good....

PICT2270_zpsyzvs5hvf.jpg

And now… we are moving to the front side of amplifier…

PICT2273_zpsw815ebuk.jpg

PICT2274_zpsuniylaab.jpg

... speakers selector ...

PICT2276_zpskfd3parg.jpg

PICT2277_zps1qtfkx5s.jpg

... and wait... I must show you something here!

PICT2278_zpsymxexa2g.jpg

That what you see on that picture above and below is PHONES socket, but do you see something strange???

PICT2279_zps0dcpzm5g.jpg

You dont!?!? OK... do you see now? :)

PICT2280_zpsbehsb1wa.jpg

Hahahaha :) please look what I have found in that PHONES socket :)

PICT2281_zps3ph8yd2q.jpg

... and those parts are clean now and ready to instal...

PICT2283_zpsloiop2vb.jpg

On the Tone Control board I replaced old capacitors by ELNA Cerafine capacitors

PICT2292_zpsyg0ucynd.jpg

But I was very surprised when I saw disassembled switch for tone control and contacts inside of that switch

PICT2284_zpsxcfatkhh.jpg

They were in very god condition, without oxidation!

PICT2286_zpspjdt18am.jpg

OK, when I already disassembled them, I did one simple cleaning job...

But board where those switches was placed, was not so clean....

PICT2285_zpsa1ma7xov.jpg

... Blue Alps volume pot....

PICT2287_zpsjrojvqfg.jpg

PICT2288_zpsgsbxbels.jpg

... and cleaned...

PICT2290_zpsukmx8o19.jpg

... ready to instal ...

PICT2291_zpskbahpy2c.jpg

Back
Top Bottom