Line Magnetic Audio CD 515

Sorry Art I stand corrected - the 502CA and 515 are not quite the same after all. They both use the same overall DAC design and the same ESS 9016 chip.

I forgot that the DAC has the SS operation (I forgot because I always leave it in tube mode and I told the dealer they should make a tube only version and cut the price) but I guess people like the option.

Does the 515 only have the two tubes?

My DAC has three "a 6Z4 handles tube rectification before the signal sees twin 12AU7/ECC82 bottles." (The 6Z4 can be changed to a 6x4 but needs a small switch flipped to do that or so the dealer tells me).

Sorry Art I stand corrected - the 502CA and 515 are not quite the same after all. They both use the same overall DAC design and the same ESS 9016 chip.

I forgot that the DAC has the SS operation (I forgot because I always leave it in tube mode and I told the dealer they should make a tube only version and cut the price) but I guess people like the option.

Does the 515 only have the two tubes?

My DAC has three "a 6Z4 handles tube rectification before the signal sees twin 12AU7/ECC82 bottles." (The 6Z4 can be changed to a 6x4 but needs a small switch flipped to do that or so the dealer tells me).

Yes the 515 has the 2 tubes.

Not sure why anyone would would want the SS version. The sound of this deck is exceptional!

I agree Art. I think the idea of the SS mode is to give you an option - kinda similar to the Fast/Slo mode in the 215 and maybe in some systems the SS mode might work for people better. Eastern Electric sold a tube/ss dac years ago and apparently people liked the SS mode better.

While this is slightly off you 515 topic the 502CA had a bigger review recently from Positive Feedback (I have not even started mine yet) but he does say what I felt the first week of owing it "From here on out I kept the Line Magnetic in tube mode. I don't know why anyone would prefer solid state mode, but that's just me." http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue74/line_magnetic.htm
(Well that's just me too).

I am quite pleased by all three of LM's digital products - all of them have offered big value for the dollar. I would love to see them come out with a turntable. The pictures of the turntable they used at a show kinda makes me salivate. It looks like an EMT 927 but if LM has the rights they might be able to make em a lot cheaper. I'd be so in on them. I wonder how much the EMT 927 goes for?

20120108_012727.jpg

I'm waiting for Art to have some time with this player and then I'm curious about how it is. Initial impressions are one thing . . . moving it to a different system or living with it a while can produce a different impression or at least drive home what about the unit is unique to it as opposed to how the unit leverages the system.

All that said, I think I've discovered a local Line Magnetic dealer.

Really just begun to hear what the player is capable of over the last couple of days. This baby takes a long time to run in. Right now I am running through one CD after another and hearing them like the first time. I will have more impressions further in to it.

Wow, just saw this thread. Congratulations on the ever improving, evolving system! Looks great and surely sounds it too.

Good for me that I don't live near Eugene to be tempted. All that tempting Devore, Leben etc...and of course the CD 515.

I acquired a couple extra tubes for the LM cd-215, for spares, but I am sure to never open it up. NOS Mullard Cv4003 tube, and an unused gold Lion Tube. Good?

I would love to hear the 515 but that would be years away. Better sound yes, but I don't need a separate DAC in a cdp. My Audiolab 8200CDQ has a DAC which I have never used. Not a useful feature for me.

My latest arangement:
My room: Sonneteer Orton integrated amp, Heed phono stage and headphone amp. LM CD-215, Rega R3 TT, Roksan Caspian Tuner, Tascam cdr, Spendor A6 speakers.

Living, Kitchen, dining= HT, TV, Marantz PM8004 integrated amp, Audiolab 8200CDQ, Oppo 980H DVD, Rotel 990bx tuner, Castle 5 way speakers, Severn/Richmond, + REL T-5 subwoofer

Hers: Onix OA21s integrated amp, Onix BWD-1 Tuner, Roksan Caspian tuner, Rega Apollo cdp, Rogers LS3/5a monitors, Quad Lite speakers, Quad 11L center, HSU subwoofer, Yamaha Blueray dvd.

Bedroom: Rega Mira-3 integrated amp, Rega Apollo cdp, Kenwood KT5020 tuner, Little Dot III headphone amp, Quad 11L Classic speakers, NHT subwoofer.

Shop: HK 6950R integrated amp, Denon TU 800 tuner, Onkyo 7030 cdp Dynaco A-25 speakers

Nice setups, for sure.

That's it Art.
Don't give into the temptation to report findings too soon.
It takes time for quality to assert itself, and it also takes time for your perspective on that quality to take hold.

So Art,
How do you like this player now?
What are your impressions now that some time has passed?

I am hoping to get to a couple hundred hrs on the machine before I give any more significant impressions. The sound of the 515 has evolved over time. It's amazing just how much you can rock out to Shostakovich string quartets!!!

I noticed your signature no longer has the LM listed. Does this mean that you've sold it and/or moved on?

The 515 was the best sounding CD player I've had in my system. Unfortunately mine had shipping damage and there aren't anymore here at present. I decided I didn't want to wait until an unspecified time for another one. Honestly I wished I had not traded in the 215. It was a perfect match for my system and it is no longer listed on their website.

That said it's time to move on and I have ordered a Marantz SA8005 which I pick up this week. I have good number of SACD's and so we'll see.

Aww man that's really unfortunate about your 515. Best of luck with the Marantz and glad to hear you're onward and upward.

Back
Top Bottom