Tekton Owners Thread

You mentioned you would like to have a pair of Enzos. No mater how you slice it, that is a sweet looking speaker. I can only imagine what the soundstage would sound like.

I just noticed the Enzos weigh 52lbs. If you are fortunate to own a pair, I hope you have a good strong back 'cause you will definitely need it.

52lbs is nothing. I used to own and move all over on my own a pair of Cerwin-Vega CLS215's which were 106lbs each and the pair I replaced with my Lores were Klipsch La Scala's which I also moved all around on my own and they weigh 125lbs each. The light weight of the Lores and such are welcome. It would actually be nice if they were heavier though so they would be more weighted down to the ground for stability.

Just saw that new model as well. Curious as it is the same price as the Lore.:scratch2: Seems like there's a lot of over lap on the models. Makes it hard to decide which one to get...suppose one just has to try them all:D

It looks like it just uses a different woofer and possibly the same tweeter that is in the Enzo and Pendragon it looks like.

The problem with the Pendragon would be deciding between the original and the newer Seas version. I haven't read any reviews of the Seas model but I have a soft spot for Seas drivers. It would be a tough decision.

cubdog

The Seas model is smaller and more refined. It will have a more hi-fi sound and be a little less "live" sounding than the regular version. You'll probably get a little more detail out of the Seas version but less Dynamic impact, I assume. I'm sure you can't go wrong either way.

My friend seems to think the larger driver used in the Zu will get him closer to the effortlessness and scale he's heard coming from my Altec 19's than the driver in the Tekton. I can't say as I've only heard Zu once very briefly and never heard Tektons. Anybody want to comment on this?

Eric Alexander (Owner of Tekton) and the owner of Zu are actually good friends. They are also in the same state, Utah. The Tekton Lore and Zu Omen are almost the same speaker. They use the same bass driver but the Zu version is slightly modified including the addition of a phase plug, and they both use different tweeters. From what I've seen online, most people tend to favor the front firing ports of the Tekton to the downfiring ports of the Zu which can make them a little trickier to place, as the Tekton is a very easy speaker to place and can even sound great backed against the wall. Not to mention the Zu's cost more as well.

Last edited:
52lbs is nothing. I used to own and move all over on my own a pair of Cerwin-Vega CLS215's which were 106lbs each and the pair I replaced with my Lores were Klipsch La Scala's which I also moved all around on my own and they weigh 125lbs each. The light weight of the Lores and such are welcome. It would actually be nice if they were heavier though so they would be more weighted down to the ground for stability.

I thought the same thing. My Klipsch CF3s are right around 100 lbs as were my Cornwalls and RF7IIs. I gotta quit buying Klipsch and I'm pretty sure I have.

cubdog

I have a pair of Lores, I love them. They are by far the best sounding (to me) pair of speakers I have owned. They are everything I was looking for when I purchased them. I was looking for something comparable to my Klipsch La Scala's with Bob Crites tweeters and Sonicaps. I wanted something with a big, live, dynamic sound but with better bass extension and a more modern design and the Lores fit the bill. While not quite as dynamic or as efficient as the La Scala's they best them in every other way. I power mine with a 3 watt 6B4G based DIY SET tube amp and they make beautiful music together. "Musical" is the best word I can use to describe them.. they are a speaker that just allow you to hear the music and they do every genre well. They are also the first pair of speakers I bought new (not counting cheapo Pioneer speakers) since around 1998 or so when I bought a pair of PSB Stratus Mini i's brand new.

If I decide to change speakers again, it will be for the Enzo, Pendragon, or perhaps the new Lore Reference model. Either way, Tekton has a big fan right here.

WP_20140701_19_43_23_Pro.jpg
I am trying to sell my La Scalas. You make it sound like the Lores would be a great replacement. One reason I'm looking to change is I find the LS a little harsh in the upper mids/lower highs. Of course, this is mostly down to the recording but I would like a speaker that's a little more forgiving.

I am trying to sell my La Scalas. You make it sound like the Lores would be a great replacement. One reason I'm looking to change is I find the LS a little harsh in the upper mids/lower highs. Of course, this is mostly down to the recording but I would like a speaker that's a little more forgiving.

The Lores are a great choice. They don't have quite the attack or "kick to the chest" of the La Scala's but they are closer than any other conventional speakers I have heard, especially at this price. The only speaker I've personally heard so far that I would replace the Lores with are the Focal Electra 1028Be which are like $9000 a pair I believe. The Lores are very easy to listen to. I run them on a 3 watt SET amp but I've also tried them with a 25 watt NAD receiver and they sound great and are not fatiguing. I'm hoping to build a 50 watt solid state amp soon, and possibly try a 300 watt Emotiva amp one of these days. I may also try my TPA3116 chip amp with them to see how that sounds. Have you recapped your La Scala's? I redid my crossovers with the Sonicap upgrades that Bob Crites sells, also had the Crites tweeters.. they were pretty smooth and I could listen to them all day. I didn't have my SET finished before I sold them, so I was running them with a Yamaha M-40 for awhile and then the TPA3116 chip amp for a bit before I sold them.

I thought the same thing. My Klipsch CF3s are right around 100 lbs as were my Cornwalls and RF7IIs. I gotta quit buying Klipsch and I'm pretty sure I have.

cubdog

It was definitely a nice change bringing the Lores into the house and setting them up. They are still fairly big at 39x12x13 but the lighter weight certainly helps. Moving the 125lb La Scala's by myself was not a whole lot of fun.

I put in Bob's A/4500 xovers and CT125 tweeters. It is always possible the problem is my ears!
The Lores are a great choice. They don't have quite the attack or "kick to the chest" of the La Scala's but they are closer than any other conventional speakers I have heard, especially at this price. The only speaker I've personally heard so far that I would replace the Lores with are the Focal Electra 1028Be which are like $9000 a pair I believe. The Lores are very easy to listen to. I run them on a 3 watt SET amp but I've also tried them with a 25 watt NAD receiver and they sound great and are not fatiguing. I'm hoping to build a 50 watt solid state amp soon, and possibly try a 300 watt Emotiva amp one of these days. I may also try my TPA3116 chip amp with them to see how that sounds. Have you recapped your La Scala's? I redid my crossovers with the Sonicap upgrades that Bob Crites sells, also had the Crites tweeters.. they were pretty smooth and I could listen to them all day. I didn't have my SET finished before I sold them, so I was running them with a Yamaha M-40 for awhile and then the TPA3116 chip amp for a bit before I sold them.

The problem with the Pendragon would be deciding between the original and the newer Seas version. I haven't read any reviews of the Seas model but I have a soft spot for Seas drivers. It would be a tough decision.

cubdog

Call them, Eric will make recommendations. When I called I was looking at the Lore, OrielTen, and M Lore. I told him about my goals, room, listening preferences, speakers I'd owned that I liked and didn't like, etc and he advised me to get the M-Lores.

Call them, Eric will make recommendations. When I called I was looking at the Lore, OrielTen, and M Lore. I told him about my goals, room, listening preferences, speakers I'd owned that I liked and didn't like, etc and he advised me to get the M-Lores.

I contacted Eric one before prior to considering Pendragons. He was very helpful as you know he always is.

cubdog

My buddy has the Pendragons, i've got to spend some time listening to them.
To put it simply- It's the best speaker i've ever heard.
Best i can describe them, the sound is: clean, pure, big & honest. Those speakers are the truth and I get lost in the sound.
I've heard really nice(expensive) speakers in some cherry listening rooms. Then i heard those $2500 pendragons and they sounded as good as any of them, and in some cases better. It just made me laugh that they could compete with 6 digit speakers.
Some of those speakers did some things better, but none did everything as well as the pendragon. It just does everything well, rather than one or 2 things really well.

When i upgrade, there's no question- I'm getting Tektons. Done deal.
Killer price, Sound amazing, Great sensitivity, great customer service, and you can order them with upgraded components & any veneer/finish you want. Why wouldn't i get Tektons! It's hard not to get behind a company/man selling awesome products at workingman prices.
The only question is whether or not to get m-lores, or lores, upgraded or not. Didn't know about the new reference model... might be an option too.

Every other component i'm upgrading later this year is still up in the air and hard to decide on, but the Tektons are locked in.

Last edited:
I wonder when some of the big magazines/websites are going to review some tektons.
I've sent emails to TAS & stereophile asking/suggesting Tekton reviews. No response... :scratch2:

My buddy has the Pendragons, i've got to spend some time listening to them.
To put it simply- It's the best speaker i've ever heard.
Best i can describe them, the sound is: clean, pure, big & honest. Those speakers are the truth and I get lost in the sound.
I've heard really nice(expensive) speakers in some cherry listening rooms. Then i heard those $2500 pendragons and they sounded as good as any of them, and in some cases better. It just made me laugh that they could compete with 6 digit speakers.
Some of those speakers did some things better, but none did everything as well as the pendragon. It just does everything well, rather than one or 2 things really well.

When i upgrade, there's no question- I'm getting Tektons. Done deal.
Killer price, Sound amazing, Great sensitivity, great customer service, and you can order them with upgraded components & any veneer/finish you want. Why wouldn't i get Tektons! It's hard not to get behind a company/man selling awesome products at workingman prices.
The only question is whether or not to get m-lores, or lores, upgraded or not. Didn't know about the new reference model... might be an option too.

Every other component i'm upgrading later this year is still up in the air and hard to decide on, but the Tektons are locked in.

The Tektons have peaked my interest but i have never heard them. You use the word "big" in what sense are you using the word, full, loud or?I`m trying to get an idea as to how these speakers sound. While the reviews on the web site are overall positive some of them are conflicting with one review suggesting that the Lore-S might be better than the pendragons. Is this why your considering the M-Lores or Lores?

Sorry for all of the questions. Even though they offer a 30 day trial it`s still a hassle and there is a 15% restocking fee.

I wonder when some of the big magazines/websites are going to review some tektons.
I've sent emails to TAS & stereophile asking/suggesting Tekton reviews. No response... :scratch2:

I think that one of the review criteria for Stereophile is that the product be available from multiple dealers which would disqualify the Tektons. :scratch2:

The black bookshelf speaker is a Tekton. First full range single driver speaker I ever heard and it opened up a whole new world.

HPIM3958.jpg

The Tektons have peaked my interest but i have never heard them. You use the word "big" in what sense are you using the word, full, loud or?I`m trying to get an idea as to how these speakers sound. While the reviews on the web site are overall positive some of them are conflicting with one review suggesting that the Lore-S might be better than the pendragons. Is this why your considering the M-Lores or Lores?

Sorry for all of the questions. Even though they offer a 30 day trial it`s still a hassle and there is a 15% restocking fee.

Hey RH, sprry it took so long to respond.
By big, i mean it's a big speaker that throws out a big sound that completely fills the room, Instruments seem to be coming from the room not the speaker, vs a speaker that throws sound at you and never lets you forget where its coming from.
The speakers really disapear behind the music, or as many reviewers put it- 'the speaker gets out of the way'.

The only reason im considering the smaller versions is that i have a smaller listening space. If i had a bigger room, i'd definently get the Pendragons. His listening space is almost twice my size and twice as high(he has vaulted ceilings).

My friend who owns them is a sound engineer and had originally budgeted $15k-20k on speakers before buying these. If he wouldn't had 100% loved them, he wouldn't have hesitated to send them back.

Pendragons. :scratch2: I'm oh so tempted by them. They are really the only speaker in a cabinet that still intrigues me.

cubdog

Back
Top Bottom