Philosophical Question: What is Modern Day Hi-fi

Thanks, I bought them secondhand just because I liked the look from the ad photos - love the little legs they have. Turns out they also sound great. Way better than the 12" drivers in the manufacturer spec'd cabs.

I'm told they're made to Shindo specs designed for Altec 604-8Gs. They are meant to have no damping pads inside. No bracing. Bottom-ported.

Thanks, I bought them secondhand just because I liked the look from the ad photos - love the little legs they have. Turns out they also sound great. Way better than the 12" drivers in the manufacturer spec'd cabs.

I'm told they're made to Shindo specs designed for Altec 604-8Gs. They are meant to have no damping pads inside. No bracing. Bottom-ported.

Retro, funny how things come back to the Bell spin offs, Altec having the most mystique.

Les Paul used the Altec 820s as his monitors, and Sound City used VOTTs when all of those great LPs were recorded there, then there are the JBL, another Bell spin off, 4435s, look like dual 15s and a tweeter with exponential horn. The 820s win on sex appeal, but the 4435s have a very straight forward cabinet, I have to learn more about them. Both sell for about $10K in good condition, making new ones for $2K sounds more appealing.

For a smaller room, the 4435 cabinets may work better......also look like you can adjust the crossover on the front panel....

Beyma tweeters are reported to be smooth, no personal experience. This model has the retro look, as to the engineering for flat response and crossover, IDK at this time. Attenuate the tweeter to match the woofers and find the sweet spot for a flat response? Something new to learn.

http://www.beyma.com/products/compressiontweeters/1TWCP258

becp25_main.jpg

Back
Top Bottom