The Schiit stack. Tomorrow's legend or forgotten pile of Schiit?

barfod

I can't resist playing with their name. I can't help but wonder if my pieces of Schiit will become legends in time.

On a more serious note, I just ordered a Schiit stack which consists of a Schiit DAC and a Schiit headphone amp. For $198 plus $12.24 shipping I will be receiving a Schiit Modi DAC and their Schiit Magni headphone amp. This is made in USA equipment! This is a test to see just what difference a dedicated DAC can make to my different stereo setups. Based upon reviews I have been reading, the Schiit stack appears to be a really well thought out modular approach to relatively inexpensive digital solution providing good value and build quality. If I like results their entry level DAC, perhaps I'll consider taking one of their slightly more expensive Schiits (ie. Bitfrost).

As I am new to the concept of a DAC in my stereo, and have no examples available as to what I can expect, I am relying on a general consensus of reviewers to guide me. Made in USA is certainly an inducement as well.

I have been pleased so far with the results of my man cave stereo, as I have been buying non-working old equipment and attempting to restore it to working condition and melding it with stuff I had lying around. The only new purchase I have made so far has been a pair of Monitor Audio Bronze BX2 speakers, and I have been through several Yamaha receivers and integrated amps to drive them, settling in on a Yamaha A-550 integrated amp that had some bad caps, dirty switches and a few burned out lights. I really like the sound so far but still... I want more!

I am using a 10-ish year old LG DVD player to play Cd's which has been... adequate. Not great, not terrible, but good enough to get by with until now. My plan is to hook up the SPDIF of the LG and bypass the DVD player's audio, sending it instead through the Schiit Modi DAC and into the Yamaha A-550. I will also be sending mp3's and m4a's that are stored on my NAS through my Macbook Pro's mini-TOSLINK, as well as wirelessly via AirPlay to an AirPort Express' mini-TOSLINK, then via AirPlay to an Apple TV's mini-TOSLINK. Then my kids will get to use the Schiit stack with their computers, to see what they think, as they vitually live in headphones.

I'll report back my results if anyone is interested in what this long winded newbie has to say about his foray into DAC-centric audio.

Very cool. I look forward to reading your thoughts on the process, and progress.

For what it's worth, I like Schiit as a company a lot.

I have the Schiit Modi-Magni combo also. Works very well with my Vintage AKG 240's.
Both units are on 24/7. No problems from them.

I own a Bifrost with the Uber Analog upgrade and it is quite an impressive DAC. I really like the fact that their DAC's are upgradeable and that they are committed to continually supporting their products (customers). :thmbsp:

Sounds as if you and I are following a similar path.

I've had a Modi for about 5 months that I use to play FLACS and MP3s from a PC, into a Marantz 2230 and a Kenwood KA-3500. Homebrew interconnects. Speakers are cheap (but damn good) Pioneer BS41's.

The Modi sounds great in my cobbled-together, small room system, but it's the only DAC I've ever owned. You sure can't beat the price, the construction is solid (I couldn't resist opening it up), and made-in-the-USA, while not a must, was a plus in my buying decision.

I have a pair of Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SE monitors on the way, and can't wait to hear how they improve the system, if at all. I'm starting to believe that speakers and recording quality are the biggest factors in overall system sound.

I've wanted a piece os Schiit for a while now...Think I'm gonna spring for the uber upgraded Bifrost soon.

My Schiit bifrost uber is really a nice piece of gear; Donald Fagen's Sunken Condos killed it when I last played (been busy being ill, so no chance to listen lately :()

Don't think you will be disappointed... :thmbsp:

This Schiit is a very good deal for the price. I bought a Bifrost when they first came out, upgraded to uber and Gen 2 USB later. I recently sold the Bifrost but it'll take spending multiples of it's price to do much better, and you can easily spend around $1k for a DAC that is it's equal or not even as good.

I love the company and their design principles. Haven't ordered anything yet. My work system still consists of a $50 "DAC Destroyer" DAC (or, alternatively, a fiio e7) which can bounce into an unrestored Yamaha CR-240 at my right elbow. Cans are Sennheiser HD419s. I also have a Cambridge Audio DVD55 patched to the Yamaha when I need a dedicated CD player. Frankly, all of this just sounds so good (listening to Miles Davis: The Columbia Years at the moment) that I just keep waiting...But the look and size of the baby schiits are so appealing, and they would look so good with the Seagate hard drive that holds all of my music. Ah, shoot...never enough money or time.

Got a shock when I emailed the local Schiit distributor - by local, I mean Singapore. I know dealers have to shoulder a lot of costs when they import gear, but I'm far better off using a freight forwarder in the US, ordering via Schiit's website and having it delivered to Thailand. Even with the import duty and freight costs I believe I'll save a couple of hundred USD on the Gungnir.

I received my Schitt box today, as well as a box from Monoprice with my assorted audio cables. So far, I have listened to most of seven CD's through the OptiModi: Radiohead- In Rainbows, Donald Fagen- Nightfly, Boston- Boston, Hiromi- Another Mind, Fleetwood Mac- Rumours, Pink Floyd- Dark Side of the Moon, and Mannheim Steamroller- Fresh Aire V.
I am using an LG DN798 DVD player to play CD's. Yes, I realize it's not the ideal CD player, but it's what I've got. I have a Yamaha A-550 integrated amp hooked to a pair of Monitor Audio Bronze BX2 speakers. I have the DVD player's analog RCA output connected to Tape 2, and the S/PDIF-->OptiModi-->Tape 1, so that I could make switched A-->B comparisons between the two inputs.

First impressions:
The first thing I noticed when switching from the analog signal to DAC signal was that the OptiModi DAC was slightly quieter. I think the best way to describe is like the music took a step backwards behind the speaker, almost as if the speakers where less involved with producing the sound. I don't know if that makes sense, but that was the first impression I got. The sound was less canned. Less in your face. I can hear the tracks separate a touch into individual instruments, while the analog portion sounds more like the music is stuffed into a coffee can then pumped out of the front of the speakers. The DAC felt less forced. Easier somehow. The difference is not huge but it is there. I hear more difference during acoustic passages with piano and acoustic guitar. I hear a difference in quieter passages like 'Dark Side of the Moon- Breathe' and less less difference during power rock like 'Boston- Rock-N-Roll Band.' But one very real improvement I noticed was that the buzziness and distortion of 'In Rainbows- 15 Step' intro was somehow less grating and more; dare I say, pleasant sounding. Like the difference in sound between a Honda Civic with a coffee can muffler, versus a Mustang GT. One noise is more pleasant than the other.
I will of course continue to run CD after CD through the OptiModi and let you know if anything changes. I will also be connecting the OptiModi to an AirPort Express that I AirPlay from my MacBook Pro, as well as connecting to the MacBook Pro itself. Then there is the Apple TV, and the matter of my kids computers...
For now, lets just say, all differences are subtle, but they are there. Not huge, but so far, so good.

Best laugh I've had all week- never gets old. I think it may become collectible in the future, just because of the name.

In all seriousness, most of it is cheap, overpriced, surface mounted schiit in a cute little box, but I applaud anything made in the USA and anyone who makes it. Pity it is so expensive for us to buy in Australia as I wouldn't mind Santa bringing me a sack of Schiit for Christmas.
I also note the Magni PCB that says fully discrete and there's an opamp on the PCB! In the event the opamp is the DC servo, it's still NOT fully discrete!

I also note the Magni PCB that says fully discrete and there's an opamp on the PCB! In the event the opamp is the DC servo, it's still NOT fully discrete!

Where is the op-amp? I would like to understand the Magni circuit design better, please help restorer-john.

Attachments

• magni_05(1).jpg
    magni_05(1).jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom