Odyssey Audio Cyclops Integrated

Urizen

Lunatic Member
Build quality? Check.
American made? Check.
Price under a grand? Barely.
Good reviews? So far.

I like the looks of this new amp. Has anyone here heard one?

http://www.odysseyaudio.com/products-cyclops.html

attachment.php

Attachments

• odyssy.JPG
    odyssy.JPG
    188.5 KB · Views: 244
Urizen

I have owned one of Klaus' amps since 1999. My fourth, the Kismet, should be here shortly. Great sound and build quality plus a vice like grip on the bottom end. All the amps are based on their Symphonic Line brethren, whose products Klaus has distributed in the Americas' for over 20 years. I just talked to him a couple of weeks ago. A real audio guy. No hype just great sound.

I always thought the single input limiting. you could buy an Odyssey Khartago amp, the same amp in the Cyclops, add your own passive pre with more inputs for nearly the same price, if you wanted more inputs.

I always thought the single input limiting. you could buy an Odyssey Khartago amp, the same amp in the Cyclops, add your own passive pre with more inputs for nearly the same price, if you wanted more inputs.

True enough. The Khartago is cheaper by $100.

True enough. The Khartago is cheaper by $100.

No knob...just gain!:D

Interesting products. You can add power supply oomph by upgrading to larger capacitors.

I find the more I use digital, the fewer inputs I need. Pretty much all sources are running through my DAC now.

I have not heard this one, but my old Stratos Plus still kicks ass. Not as refined as my Counterpoint NPS 400, but totally understandable since one is Hybrid and was more than 4x the price. (which is not always the case but here it is)

I can't comment on this particular amp, but I've had a Stratos Plus for about a year now and have been very satisfied. 20 year warranty is a plus.

edit:
just reading a review, and there's apparently no headphone jack. Don't know if this is a big deal, but might be something to be considered.

Last edited:
I don't know whether it was an engineering decision or a marketing one to limit the number of inputs to one, but it seems really, really dumb to me. Nothing against Odyssey, would love to hear one, but why, oh why??

I don't know whether it was an engineering decision or a marketing one to limit the number of inputs to one, but it seems really, really dumb to me. Nothing against Odyssey, would love to hear one, but why, oh why??

I have to agree with Mike T., my system has only needed one input for the last couple of years. I run my laptop to my DAC to my integrated and that's all I've ever needed. What's the harm in that, one who know's they only require one input would not be dissuaded to make this purchase.
I intently await initial break in impressions :thmbsp:

Over the past 5 years or so I have read more positive opinions about Odyssey amps than most any other brand regardless of price. Their owners seem to love them and you sure don't see that many on the used market. If I'm in the SS market again I'll be looking at Odyssey and maybe something by Mr. Pass. I don't think my list will get much longer than that.

cubdog

cubdog

A good thing about Odyssey, other than the amps sound and 20 year warranty, is that you can pick up the phone and call and Klaus almost always answers the phone himself. He is really a night owl in terms of production so need to call him late afternoon to around midnight. I have talked to him off and on by phone for at least 15 years. Each amp is hand built to order. He has no stock on hand and never has for over a decade.

Over the past 5 years or so I have read more positive opinions about Odyssey amps than most any other brand regardless of price. Their owners seem to love them and you sure don't see that many on the used market. If I'm in the SS market again I'll be looking at Odyssey and maybe something by Mr. Pass. I don't think my list will get much longer than that.

cubdog

I agree 100%. If i were to consider SS those two would be the only two on my list.

I don't think I've knowingly heard that one but I will say that I have heard Odyssey stuff a bunch of times and have never not been impressed. If I were in the market for speakers the Lorelei would still be on my short list and I first heard them about 10 years ago.

Back
Top Bottom