What does a full Rega system sound like?

Guest101

I've been contemplating a full Rega system for a 10'x13' room. I live in a hi-fi shop deprived area, so what do they sound like?

This is all I'm considering:

RP3 w/ Elys2 turntable
Brio-r amp
Apollo-r cd
RS1 speakers

Hook it up with Rega or Chord Company cables and it should sound great.

I had an all Rega setup at one time...

Can you please describe what the sound is like? It obviously didn't satisfy because you moved on.

It sounded good. I'm not going to carry on about it. None of those pieces are made anymore but it was quite satisfying at the time. This hobby is a journey for me (I always enjoy the journey as much if not more than the destination) and so I am always moving on and will be until I settle on what I want to retire with.

Without knowing your goals are I would just be taking one stab after another at describing what elements you want more information about.

Do you have some specific questions?

I've been contemplating a full Rega system for a 10'x13' room. I live in a hi-fi shop deprived area, so what do they sound like?

RP3 w/ Elys2 turntable
Brio-r amp
Apollo-r cd
RS1 speakers

He said he was unable to audition any audio components.

He said he was unable to audition any audio components.

Actually he didn't say that at all, as you pointed out.

Many folks audition by buying with liberal return policies. Not my favorite way to do it but I have a couple of times.

Again, if the OP has specific questions perhaps we can address those.

I've heard Rega speakers powered by a Rega amp. Typical British sound. Relaxed, relatively big, smooth and 'musical'. Probably not too refined or detailed, yet not brute or grained either.

RP3 w/ Elys2 turntable
Brio-r amp
Apollo-r cd
RS1 speakers

The biggest advantage to going with a complete system is that you know what Rega as a company is after. A complete Rega system is what Rega believes is the best sound that you can attain (or at least attain at the price). I highly recommend that people start if they can with complete systems as a foundation. Mix and match systems can work but when you start with them you're not necessarily sure on what the sound of each component is actually doing.

I heard Roksan for many years and found them unremarkable UNTIL I heard a complete Roksan system and went "oh - so that's what they're after" and it was completely different/better than previous systems I had heard and "judged" them in. So it wasn't the amp that made the system bright - maybe it was the speakers after all kind of thing.

While we can all tell you what things we'd upgrade like the cartridge if you look at the Rega as a way to start a hi-fi journey and not a "this is my last stereo" kind of system then Rega's set-up is very good.

If it's a system you want to be your last system and you want to stay on low budget my suggestion might be to go with a speaker better/more bass response.

They key though is that you hear the Rega system first. There are more an more companies offering complete systems like the aforementioned Roksan and you may like the latter more.

RP3 w/ Elys2 turntable
Brio-r amp
Apollo-r cd
RS1 speakers

This may sound like a dumb question, but if you haven't heard Rega, what is the attraction???

I've never heard their gear, I believe the company has been successful over time.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the best amp companies frequently don't make the best speakers, and in the old days the best turntable companies were pretty much exclusively tt manufacturers, Dual and Thorens come to mind. I think Rega is one of the manufacturers that did a good job of timing the market on the resurrection of vinyl.

Just a thought, used gear that is cared for and carefully purchased can always be sold close to what you paid for it if it doesn't meet your expectations or your requirements change.

You may be able to acquire some excellent used speakers locally, then hit the resale market for the highly desirable rega integrated amps, I have purchased used turntables successfully but picked them up in person..

I guess that what I am trying to say is that I don't think anyone can tell you what something sounds like, especially a full system.

As a personal preference, I own separate DACs and Receivers with integrated DACs. Moving parts are the first thing to fail, so I buy a Sony DVD player with a digital interface for $35 and connect via coax to the DAC or DAC input on the receiver. Does Rega have an amp with an integral DAC, it can be an advantage for SN.

On the Sony DVD payer, the RCA analog outputs surprise me with how good the music sounds. I have to remind myself that they manufactured the finest FM tuner ever made for $90 full list. It may have something to do with the million unit production quantities they like to achieve.

Off the stereo topic, are you a tomato base or vinegar base person?? I'm tomato...

Update

I promised myself I would go to bed, but decided to read the manual for the brio, I couldn't find the SN or THD specs, I may have missed something.

I can't say anything bad about Riga, but for a lot less money you can buy world class proven used gear sight unseen and have a high probability of loving it. Perhaps used venerable Rega models??

This may sound like a dumb question, but if you haven't heard Rega, what is the attraction???

I am interested in the same thing the OP is and have been watching the thread. I know the question wasn't directed toward me, but it could have been.

I am also unfamiliar with Rega, with the exception of my old Brio 2000, which was a really fine integrated.

I am interested in an all Rega system as well because they seem to be hitting the mark with all of the $1000-$3000 components as far as reviews go. The praise is very high for so many different pieces. Sometimes with the caveat that "system matching" is important. If system synergy is crucial, it wouldn't be crazy to believe that a system of individually praised pieces all from the same company should probably sound good together.

When Rega builds a really great phono stage, do they use a Rega table for testing? Maybe not... I have no idea. When they craft their speakers, which have their own sonic signature, do they dial them in with a Brio? Maybe not. Logically it seems that you wouldn't build a bright-on-bright or warm-on-warm system if you blindly chose from one company.

Art, you probably have some comments on how well the components blended together. Did they seem meant to be together? Also, what made you go down the path of all Rega at that point in your journey?

Last edited:

I've never heard their gear, I believe the company has been successful over time.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the best amp companies frequently don't make the best speakers, and in the old days the best turntable companies were pretty much exclusively tt manufacturers, Dual and Thorens come to mind. I think Rega is one of the manufacturers that did a good job of timing the market on the resurrection of vinyl.

Just a thought, used gear that is cared for and carefully purchased can always be sold close to what you paid for it if it doesn't meet your expectations or your requirements change.

You may be able to acquire some excellent used speakers locally, then hit the resale market for the highly desirable rega integrated amps, I have purchased used turntables successfully but picked them up in person..

I guess that what I am trying to say is that I don't think anyone can tell you what something sounds like, especially a full system.

As a personal preference, I own separate DACs and Receivers with integrated DACs. Moving parts are the first thing to fail, so I buy a Sony DVD player with a digital interface for $35 and connect via coax to the DAC or DAC input on the receiver. Does Rega have an amp with an integral DAC, it can be an advantage for SN.

On the Sony DVD payer, the RCA analog outputs surprise me with how good the music sounds. I have to remind myself that they manufactured the finest FM tuner ever made for $90 full list. It may have something to do with the million unit production quantities they like to achieve.

Off the stereo topic, are you a tomato base or vinegar base person?? I'm tomato...

Update

I promised myself I would go to bed, but decided to read the manual for the brio, I couldn't find the SN or THD specs, I may have missed something.

I can't say anything bad about Riga, but for a lot less money you can buy world class proven used gear sight unseen and have a high probability of loving it. Perhaps used venerable Rega models??

You have never heard anything by Rega and here you are spouting more bullshit.

"What does a full Rega system sound like?"

Above is the title of this thread. Some of us know because we have owned one or more of what the OP is asking about and are trying to narrow the question down. Your Rega expertise starts where?

I am interested in the same thing the OP is and have been watching the thread. I know the question wasn't directed toward me, but it could have been.

I am also unfamiliar with Rega, with the exception of my old Brio 2000, which was a really fine integrated.

I am interested in an all Rega system as well because they seem to be hitting the mark with all of the $1000-$3000 components as far as reviews go. The praise is very high for so many different pieces. Sometimes with the caveat that "system matching" is important.

If system synergy is crucial, it wouldn't be crazy to believe that a system of individually praised pieces all from the same company should probably sound good together.

When Rega builds a really great phono stage, do they use a Rega table for testing? Maybe not... I have no idea.

When they craft their speakers, which have their own sonic signature, do they dial them in with a Brio? Maybe not.

You have very good questions. Paul Darwin of Rega Participates at Pink Fish Media and is a great representative of the company. You can ask these questions on the open forum or PM him at PFM and get many of the answers you need. Don't forget to first go to your local Rega dealer.

Logically it seems that you wouldn't build a bright-on-bright or warm-on-warm system if you blindly chose from one company.

I guess this is really the point I was trying to make. So with that logic, why not choose to build a system from one of the only companies that seems to be hitting the mark with speakers, turntables, integrated amps, phono stages, DACs, CD players, and so on... At least in the price class that I am interested in.

Damn, anyone want to buy my system? I think I'm going to go all Rega. Haha.

I can safely say that Rega impressed me (and several of my friends) thoroughly with the Brio. It just smacked around so many of my high end vintage pieces.

I've heard NAD and Creek gear as well that achieved the same, but only amps. Rega seems to be the only jack AND master of all trades. Based on reviews, anyway.

Art, you probably have some comments on how well the components blended together. Did they seem meant to be together? Also, what made you go down the path of all Rega at that point in your journey?

Very much so. I have owned one all Rega setup and another that was all Rega but the speakers. It's amazing what synergy can mean in this hobby. For my first Rega system I traded in my Prima Luna Prologue 2 amp, ProAc Studio 110 speakers, YBA CD player and Pro-Ject Xpression turntable for a Rega Mira 3, Apollo and R5 speakers and P3. Although the HiFi acrobatics weren't as impressive with my new system the pleasure I got, especially relative to consistency (always enjoying my music) was superior. At it's best the former system was better but for everyday use with all music sources the latter won the day and and a place in my home.

Although the HiFi acrobatics weren't as impressive with my new system the pleasure I got, especially relative to consistency (always enjoying my music) was superior. At it's best the former system was better but for everyday use with all music sources the latter won the day and and a place in my home.

Well said.

I have traded acrobatic systems for musically consistent systems and back again several times over the years.

My favorites have always been the musical, but man, the acrobats are fun when you hear it on other people's systems. Grass is always greener, I guess.

I can safely say that Rega impressed me (and several of my friends) thoroughly with the Brio. It just smacked around so many of my high end vintage pieces.

I type this sitting here listening to my Brio-R feeding Kef LS50's (On Skylan stands), connected with Chord cables (purchased from Art K.). Even just being fed wirelessly from Beats Music on my iPhone to my Airport Express directly into the Brio-R with no DAC it 100% re-affirms that vintage is pretty dead to me.

The new stuff coming out is just incredible for the money.

Not counting my TT's (which will be modern in the near future) of my two main systems my oldest piece is my Juicy Music Blueberry Extreme Preamp from about 2004 — and that piece is just special.

I have no doubt that an all Rega system would sound great, but personally I think there are some other modern speakers out there I would consider over Rega's. My Brio-R into Tekton Lore's was pretty damn great.

- Woody

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom