No phono/turntable sound without graphic equalizer

sansuimadrid

i have been helping my girlfriend set up a turntable with her old Kenwood midi system (A-56 amp, tuner, cd, and graphic equalizer GE-560). There is no sound from the phono channel when the graphic equalizer is disconnected, not ideal since the graphic is complicated for her and seems to be compressing all over the spectrum and making everything sound less dynamic and reverberant.
The sound of the system using cds is really not too bad when the graphic is disconnected, but I could not get the turntable to through the amp without the graphic being hooked up.
The separate elements, if indeed they are really separate, are connected together at the back by voltage cables as well as the usual rca plugs, i.e. each unit is not plugged in to the wall separately. I have tried with the graphic voltage disconnected from the amp. Wondered whether the phono pre-amp might be built into the graphic itself? I would really appreciate enlightenment on what is probably a simple problem, but I suppose the basic question is :
can the elements of this midi-system be broken up and used as hi-fi separates in the traditional way?
And if there's a manual out there for the GE-560 this might be very helpful.

Back
Top Bottom