Kenwood Owners Show Us Your Kenwoods!

More 'wood!!

*KD-2070 ~ straight drive:

attachment.php

KD-5070 ~ automatic:

attachment.php

Both turntables have been set up with Audio Technica headshells and cartridges. :)

:beerchug:

* Purchased new in 1978

Attachments

• IMG_7816.jpg
    IMG_7816.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 330
  • IMG_7676.jpg
    IMG_7676.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 330
Last edited:
Kenwood KA-4002a + KT-2001a

Just got those ones to replace my Pioneer SA-606 + TX-606 set. A little less power, but still more than enough for my small apartment.
I fell in love with the design the first moment I saw them so it was only a matter of time before I would buy them. :cool:

DSC00109.jpg

Last edited:
I figured it was about time I acquired a real hi-end pair of speakers,so what better choice than these lovely condition,fully working Kenwood LS-1800's that had a huge MRRP of $2,160.00 back in 1981!
They're so heavy (all metal fronts) that it takes 2 people just to lift one!
I can only imagine their SQ when hooked up to something like my 700M/700C combo,or L-08M/L-08C combo with the L-07D DD as the source.
Their build quality is simply amazing. Luckily,I purchased 'em of a mate today (same as the amazing NEC CD-903) for the bargain price of £450.00 including delivery.
The missus went crazy when she saw 'em though :thumbsdn:... but it was well worth the hassle :D

019_zpszt8odptg.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
018_zpssdj5l8cn.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
015_zps6rm4dpad.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
Wow, D! Kinda surprised to read you have a better half. With all those stacks of gear you've got there, I'd have figured you for a bachelor for sure! My wife ain't quite the sympathetic type to my hobby either. Go figure.

Congrats on your speakers. :thmbsp:

Cheers! I just can't get over the sheer weight of these LS-1800's... talk about back breakin'!
I'm gonna have to buy some nice lookin' speaker grill cloth,as the cloth on the grills at the moment doesn't look too nice.
Also,a pic of the optional,special Kenwood Sigma Drive connections.

019_zpszt8odptg.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
002_zpsvjtf3v3k.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

KH-51 Headphones

attachment.php

I got the brochure from a guy online who made me laugh.

He texts me to thank me for the purchase and says, "I like the gorgeous model on the brochure, but she's probably a grandma by now."

And I text him back, "Hey! Grandma's need lovin' too!!"

Here's the grandma I'm lovin'

attachment.php

'Nuff said.

Attachments

• kh-51.jpg
    kh-51.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 266
  • grandma.jpg
    grandma.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 266
Freshly restored Kenwood KR-7030

Boy do I like this one! I did the cosmetics and super-tech Bob Popham of Audionics/Fosgate/Harman fame serviced it. The fairly rare walnut end panels were refinished with real Indian bug secretions (shellac) and bee's wax. I don't know why, but this thing is making grin from ear to ear. Bob claims his power switch fix will last 50 years or so.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 20150222_061129[1].jpg
    20150222_061129[1].jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 256
  • 20150222_060105[1].jpg
    20150222_060105[1].jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 258
Boy do I like this one! I did the cosmetics and super-tech Bob Popham of Audionics/Fosgate/Harman fame serviced it. The fairly rare walnut end panels were refinished with real Indian bug secretions (shellac) and bee's wax. I don't know why, but this thing is making grin from ear to ear. Bob claims his power switch fix will last 50 years or so.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Sweet. :thmbsp:

It's official, these Kenwoods from this era are my new favorite receiver. They are so "down to business" and understated (and underpriced!) Now it's on the the 9600!

Last edited:
No doubt about it,Trio/Kenwood made the very best gear out of all the major Japanese companies in my opinion...sadly it all kind of ended by 1983.

No doubt about it,Trio/Kenwood made the very best gear out of all the major Japanese companies in my opinion...sadly it all kind of ended by 1983.

Daunia it is more complicated than to make those kind of statements. They all made some impeccable components and they all made some stinkers. The formation of Accuphase came about because one of the three founders of Trio(three) fell out with the other two over the fact that he wanted to make no compromise components and the others wouldn't go along with that.

If there was one Japanese major that never compromised(ie had a budget line of components on the market) it was Accuphase.

Look at where all of the other Japanese majors are now. They are either defunct, scrabbling to resurrect their brand's former glory, divesting themselves of the former brand name in order to have any credibility as serious hi-fi manufacturers or just totally abandoned the hi-fi market all together). Teac went Esoteric. Pioneer went TAD. Luxman almost disappeared before making another push. Yamaha has belatedly attempted to reclaim their brand. Sony dribbled out Espirit gear for decades but really was more interested in mid-fi to pay the bills. Denon had their ultimate line but paid the bills with mid-fi offerings.

Accuphase is the only one that never released mini systems and televisions and portable listening devices with a cursory nod to the High End as an exercise in maintaining reputation in their Home Market. For decades the best Japanese gear was really an attempt to be seen by the elite customers in Japan as serious. The West was merely the beneficiary of that attempt if it was offered internationally. The Gaijin are not held in the highest esteem by the Divine Race. They are tolerated and utilised where necessary. That's why there is a mountain of top end Japanese gear that is seen as 'invisibilia' in the West or outside of Japan. We were never meant to be offered it.

Daunia it is more complicated than to make those kind of statements. They all made some impeccable components and they all made some stinkers. The formation of Accuphase came about because one of the three founders of Trio(three) fell out with the other two over the fact that he wanted to make no compromise components and the others wouldn't go along with that.

If there was one Japanese major that never compromised(ie had a budget line of components on the market) it was Accuphase.

Look at where all of the other Japanese majors are now. They are either defunct, scrabbling to resurrect their brand's former glory, divesting themselves of the former brand name in order to have any credibility as serious hi-fi manufacturers or just totally abandoned the hi-fi market all together). Teac went Esoteric. Pioneer went TAD. Luxman almost disappeared before making another push. Yamaha has belatedly attempted to reclaim their brand. Sony dribbled out Espirit gear for decades but really was more interested in mid-fi to pay the bills. Denon had their ultimate line but paid the bills with mid-fi offerings.

Accuphase is the only one that never released mini systems and televisions and portable listening devices with a cursory nod to the High End as an exercise in maintaining reputation in their Home Market. For decades the best Japanese gear was really an attempt to be seen by the elite customers in Japan as serious. The West was merely the beneficiary of that attempt if it was offered internationally. The Gaijin are not held in the highest esteem by the Divine Race. They are tolerated and utilised where necessary. That's why there is a mountain of top end Japanese gear that is seen as 'invisibilia' in the West or outside of Japan. We were never meant to be offered it.

Cheers for the reply. I know all about the history of Accuphase and Kenwood.
When I stated major Japanese companies... I had in-mind/should of perhaps stated major "mainstream" Japanese companies,like Sansui,Pioneer (not their hi-end TAD division),Sony,Yamaha,and Denon etc.
Accuphase,I've always considered hi-end and very rare... certainly not a major mainstream player. In-fact,I've never come across any S/H Accuphase gear for sale on my personal travels. Even on Ebay it's very rare.

But I still stand by my original statement,that Trio/Kenwood manufactured the overall best quality mainstream gear for the money,wherever it be tuners (L-02T),DD TT's (L-07D),various pre-amp/power-amp combos,mono blocks,or even speakers.
Cassette decks and RTR's were the exception!

My new and first Kenwood. Ka-6000. Very solid build but phono section has issues. Waiting for new caps and transistors for preamp. I really like how board is modular and pops right out.:thmbsp:

Attachments

• 20150211_211531.jpg
    20150211_211531.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 68
  • 20150215_154913.jpg
    20150215_154913.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 62
My first Kenwood, a KR-5010. Purchased for $25.00, but had some problems. I had my local stereo genius go over it, and he put it back in shape for an additional $75.00. Sounds fantastic, and with 47 WPC, has plenty of power. I set it up in my living room system, with my Rotel RP 3000 turntable and a pair of mid 80s 3 way Pioneers.

Attachments

• IMG_0590.jpg
    IMG_0590.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 82
My kenwoos brothers

Kr-7050, Kr-6050

Attachments

• 20150227_214008.jpg
    20150227_214008.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 82
  • 20150227_213953.jpg
    20150227_213953.jpg