KENWOOD KR-1000 Galaxy Commander Review

turbomustang

KENWOOD KR-1000 Galaxy Commander

After owning several of the Galaxy Commander Receivers,
I have decided it may be the most underestimated Receiver.
Is it in the same build quality as the Pioneer SX-1250 = No
But it has gobs of power and a clear sound that rivals many of the other totl Receivers.

I had decided to buy another one and looked for several months on eBay and found 1 and the owner had it for over $795 so that was not going to happen.

Lately they have come out of the woodwork and they are selling for a $100 to $200
So I picked one up again .I am amazed at just how good it is when you consider the price ,

Also the unusual styling takes some getting used to.

But here are the pluses

Plenty of power it says in the brochure 120wpc and in the owner’s manual it claims 150 X 150 with a dynamic power capability of 460watts.
I have had it above 200watts two channels driven and never did it faultier.
Although the wife screamed at me to turn it down.

There are a bunch of functions that this receiver has such as
Clock
Timer
Sleep mode
Etc

And on top of the other timer functions it will remember up to 4 separate settings including pretty much anything this receiver is capable of be it sounds settings recorder settings.
And this can be all for one person that listens to different music with different settings or for individual users.
The built in EQ is nice and works well
The ability to run three sets of speakers at once or separately.
This thing will do many things that were not common for 1982 although the price when new was between $900 and $1000, not cheap in 1982 or 2009.

The negatives
The aforementioned styling (which I have learned to like)
The lack of a pre-out power in option (not needed but would be nice)

In my opinion if you can find one get it,
it is a very interesting piece of gear.
Also if you are like me and cash is a concern then I think bang for the buck may be the ultimate thing this Receiver provides.

Here are some pics but not of mine his camera skills due it more justice than mine

DSC09730.jpg

DSC09755.jpg

KenwoodKR10000-1.jpg

DSC09754.jpg

DSC09766.jpg

DSC09762.jpg

oh and the tuner is very good if that matters to others as much as it does to me.
it has 6 presets which is not many but in 82 must have been cutting edge

I have all the other monsters of Kenwood - but this one I never got. Would be nice to compare it against Sansui 9000Z and SX3700.

Nice pics:beerchug:

I love Kenwoods but the styling of that model turns me off. I've never liked the over-labeled designs of the 1980s, no matter who made it. I will say that it's less painful to look at than some of the Pioneers of the same vintage, the looks of which has always made me wonder what were they thinking. They just scream "Cheap!"

I love Kenwoods but the styling of that model turns me off. I've never liked the over-labeled designs of the 1980s, no matter who made it. I will say that it's less painful to look at than some of the Pioneers of the same vintage, the looks of which has always made me wonder what were they thinking. They just scream "Cheap!"

I actually until very recently was more into pioneer gear and now for some reason I am into Kenwood a lot.
in no way would this model compete with my KR-11000GX in the design department but in sound quality and functionality this is a very good unit that will shake the walls to pieces and sells for the price of a decent Boombox.
that is why I think it deserves a second look after all the sound of the unit is 80 percent of what I look for .
and you would be surprised how interested the non audio nuts that have seen mine and then when I turn it half way up and they have to exit the room due to the shear volume it creates .it is actually very impressive although not conventional looking .

I now use mine in my bedroom as a huge clock radio and when I want to listen to music off by myself.

but I would put this up against any sub $200 receiver out there .so right now they are a bargain and I might just be lucky but the ones I have purchased have all functioned perfectly .

I could definately learn to live with one should I come across one.Unusual yes but that kind of makes it interesting.Just curious on how much it weighs?

Update: I bought one in black. Supposedly the only thing wrong with it is the volume adjustment, the volume is stuck at a set level. Time to become a Deoxit guru!

I have an 11000G and at first thought the timer was annoying but now I listen to FM when going to sleep and it keeps the thing from running all night for no reason, saves power...I really think it makes sense now.

Have seen a few of these through the years all have been beat and not in the best of shape. If I even find one in good condition bet it comes home with me.

Very nice! I'd luv to own one..and with a little luck,perhaps one day will.. Never realized they carried such a high MRRP until very recently.

If any poster/lurker out there has a good working KR-1000/KR-1000B they want to sell, I'm all ears.

EDIT: Another member said that it seemed like I was aiming this post at a specific AK-er or something to that effect.

It isn't, just to any KR-1000 owner who might come through here. I know you people are out there!

Last edited:
Whew! Not exactly understated.

I counted approximately 80 buttons/knobs. Just an estimate as I only made one pass and could be off a little. It has a lot whatever the actual number may be...

Lights is a whole 'nother story. I kind of like having lots of little lights of various colors. And I like the way the lights look on this one although it is much different than other receivers.

KENWOOD KR-1000 Galaxy Commander

After owning several of the Galaxy Commander Receivers,
I have decided it may be the most underestimated Receiver.
Is it in the same build quality as the Pioneer SX-1250 = No
But it has gobs of power and a clear sound that rivals many of the other totl Receivers.

I had decided to buy another one and looked for several months on eBay and found 1 and the owner had it for over $795 so that was not going to happen.

Lately they have come out of the woodwork and they are selling for a $100 to $200
So I picked one up again .I am amazed at just how good it is when you consider the price ,

Also the unusual styling takes some getting used to.

But here are the pluses

Plenty of power it says in the brochure 120wpc and in the owner’s manual it claims 150 X 150 with a dynamic power capability of 460watts.
I have had it above 200watts two channels driven and never did it faultier.
Although the wife screamed at me to turn it down.

There are a bunch of functions that this receiver has such as
Clock
Timer
Sleep mode
Etc

And on top of the other timer functions it will remember up to 4 separate settings including pretty much anything this receiver is capable of be it sounds settings recorder settings.
And this can be all for one person that listens to different music with different settings or for individual users.
The built in EQ is nice and works well
The ability to run three sets of speakers at once or separately.
This thing will do many things that were not common for 1982 although the price when new was between $900 and $1000, not cheap in 1982 or 2009.

The negatives
The aforementioned styling (which I have learned to like)
The lack of a pre-out power in option (not needed but would be nice)

In my opinion if you can find one get it,
it is a very interesting piece of gear.
Also if you are like me and cash is a concern then I think bang for the buck may be the ultimate thing this Receiver provides.

Here are some pics but not of mine his camera skills due it more justice than mine

DSC09730.jpg

DSC09755.jpg

KenwoodKR10000-1.jpg

DSC09754.jpg

DSC09766.jpg

DSC09762.jpg
kr-1000bi.gif

JUST GOT ONE OFF E-BATTERED,3 UPS HUB POUNDING STOPS, THEN HERE, HOPEFULLY LIGHTS STILL WORK.

Attachments

• KENWOOD KR-1000 Galaxy Commander eBay got----------.jpg
    KENWOOD KR-1000 Galaxy Commander eBay got----------.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 85
Back
Top Bottom