Just bought a KR4070 any opinions

70s Kenwood receivers sound excellent. They have really nice sounding tuners. To me, low powered Kenwoods always sound very sweet and musical. They sound very close to tube gear in my opinion and sound stellar with horn-driven speakers.

The Kenwoods of this series are notorious for having a power switch that slowly destroys itself; the switch isn't actually capable of switching the power that it draws at turn-on. It arcs and damages the contacts. If you've got basic soldering skills and a little extra wire, you can easily make a the switch control a relay that will switch the unit on and off and prevent destruction of the no-longer-available on-off switch.

Other than that, though, a KR-4070 is what got me into vintage audio. Great sounding units with surprisingly good tuners.

I just bought a Kenwood KR-4070 Stereo Receiver off of ebay & it has had all the controls cleaned for smooth quiet operation fully tested working properly!! What do you think Stevopedia?

I fixed up a KR-6030 and ran it for a while until I sold it to a good friend who had been coveting it for a while. :)

I loved it. At 80W/Channel it had more than enough power for me in most situations and as mentioned by many, the Kenwood tuners are great!

The pecking order of receivers for those years was the almighty KR-9600 ---> KR-8010 ---> KR-6030 ---> KR-5030 ---> KR-4070 -> 3090 -> 2090.

But ditto as above regarding the Power/speaker selector switch. Mine needed a rebuild/cleaning, and even still at some point it's going to have to be replaced with a relay.

There is something I still don't quite understand is the Kenwood KR-4070 TOTL or near TOTL? I only want to know where The KR-4070 & KR-5030 rank in that lineup of Stereo Receivers.

The pecking order of receivers for those years was the almighty KR-9600 ---> KR-8010 ---> KR-6030 ---> KR-5030 ---> KR-4070 -> 3090 -> 2090 -> KS-400R

He just posted the order of the receivers from TOTL to BOTL!

Being that the KR-9600 is TOTL and the KS-400R is BOTL or bottom of the line.

The KR-4070 is MOTL or Middle of the line. The KR-4070 is a good receiver.

Last edited:
I believe it was right around $300.

It's a nice receiver, but definitely middle of the pack and no monster.

It will do a fine job though for a lot of folks. We used one for a picnic last summer and it drove my Dynaco A25s quite nicely.

Enjoy!!

I just bought KR 5030 yesterday for $35,and I have it hooked up to a pair of pioneer CS 99AA speakers,rated at 100 watts max,and I can't turn the volume up past the 9 o'clock position,without blasting it.These receivers have some serious juice.

It sounds perfect but one ? Is there suppose to be indecator lights for Phono,Aux,Tape nothing is lighting up in those modes

The Kenwoods of this series are notorious for having a power switch that slowly destroys itself; the switch isn't actually capable of switching the power that it draws at turn-on. It arcs and damages the contacts. If you've got basic soldering skills and a little extra wire, you can easily make a the switch control a relay that will switch the unit on and off and prevent destruction of the no-longer-available on-off switch.

Other than that, though, a KR-4070 is what got me into vintage audio. Great sounding units with surprisingly good tuners.

Resurrecting the thread...
Found this: http://www.number63.ca/kenwood/kenwood.htm
Looks like a pretty simple fix.

Back
Top Bottom