Radial Metal Film Resistors...Do they exist?

Mchaz

Outputs roasting on an...
I need to replace R552, a 15Ω metal film resistor with radial leads, in a Yamaha C-2a. Here's a picture to help clear things up:

attachment.php

The sucker tests around 100-300Ω for a split second and then goes open. :scratch2:

The leads are about 1/4" apart. I am not sure of the wattage rating on it, but I have an 1/8th watt in its place right now that is warming up a bit. I would like to use a 1/4 watt axial, but I would have to do some funky lead bending, as most have bodies that are about 1/4" long.

Does anyone make resistors like this anymore? What is a good brand/series to replace them with? I plan on ordering several other values to replace any questionable looking ones along the way. If Digi-Key stocks them, even better!

Thanks in advance, all!

Attachments

• Resistor.jpg
    Resistor.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 130
Ahh yes, ye 'ole vertical trick. I don't know why that didn't come to mind. It's a pipe dream wanting to find radials, eh?

but I would have to do some funky lead bending
Bend one lead over and stand it upright.Real tough..might need a special tool!
LOL..

Ahh yes, ye 'ole vertical trick. I don't know why that didn't come to mind. It's a pipe dream wanting to find radials, eh?

You could probably find them in manufacturing quantitys thin,metal film.Most of which have switched over to SMD .
Service manual calls for metal film RE35---1/4 watt
http://www.susumu-usa.com/history.html
1978 1978 RE35 (1/4W) Rectangular Type Metal Thin Film Resistor ? PLATE-OHM
RE55 (1/2W) Rectangular Type Metal Thin Film Resistor - PLATE-OHM

Last edited:
That's not a 330pf capacitor? Sure looks like one to me.:confused:

i thought it looked like a cap. too
bit like this one ..
Nope. They are thin film metal resistors that look like film caps.

RE35 --- RE35 (1/4W) Rectangular Type Metal Thin Film Resistor
Yamaha uses loads of these type resistors.

Similar one in a C-4 control amplifier.110Ω

Attachments

• DSC03787.JPG
    DSC03787.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Either Mchaz has pulled the wrong part or someone has replaced the resistor with a cap.:scratch2:
There are some 330Ω RE35's in the C-2a like R562.Most of these type resistors I've seen usually have the omega sign printed on them come to think of it. I don't recall seeing any tolerance codes on resistors.

Last edited:
Either Mchaz has pulled the wrong part or someone has replaced the resistor with a cap.:scratch2:
There are some 330Ω RE35's in the C-2a like R562.Most of these type resistors I've seen usually have the omega sign printed on them come to think of it. I don't recall seeing any tolerance codes on resistors.

The resistor I posted a picture of is in fact a 330Ω resistor pulled from the spot for R552! Once it was mentioned that 331 is printed on the side I tested it with my meter in the 2k range. Sure enough, it measured 330Ω, and I just didn't have meter in a high enough range before (thinking it was a 15Ω).

So, it looks like someone put a 330Ω in place of a 15Ω. :scratch2: I double checked the schematic and the equivalent resistor (R551) in the other channel. They all confirm it should be a 15Ω. Add to that, it has been singing with a 15Ω in place for R552 where it was putting out 35v on TP1 before. Now it seems that I should check all of the resistors that should be 330Ω to make sure one wasn't swapped with a 15Ω. :no:

Avionic, thanks for that link confirming that RE35's are 1/4 watt. I googled RE35 before, and couldn't come up with any info.

Twere me, if I couldn't get direct confirmation from somebody who has an identical unit AND has verified the value in their rig ... I'd seriously consider replacing it with the same value part you pulled out of the chassis. Schematics have been known to be wrong. Factor in how long and how well it worked with the old part ...

Sometimes manufacturers make changes during production. Might even be a bulletin out there somewhere regarding the change.

The resistor I posted a picture of is in fact a 330Ω resistor pulled from the spot for R552! Once it was mentioned that 331 is printed on the side I tested it with my meter in the 2k range. Sure enough, it measured 330Ω, and I just didn't have meter in a high enough range before (thinking it was a 15Ω).

So, it looks like someone put a 330Ω in place of a 15Ω. :scratch2: I double checked the schematic and the equivalent resistor (R551) in the other channel. They all confirm it should be a 15Ω. Add to that, it has been singing with a 15Ω in place for R552 where it was putting out 35v on TP1 before. Now it seems that I should check all of the resistors that should be 330Ω to make sure one wasn't swapped with a 15Ω. :no:

Avionic, thanks for that link confirming that RE35's are 1/4 watt. I googled RE35 before, and couldn't come up with any info.

:scratch2: Now the question..Do you have a misplaced 15Ω somewhere in there?

what is wrote on r551 ? just out of interest ..

150, which makes perfect sense.

150 = 15Ω
331 = 330Ω

Avionic said:
Now the question..Do you have a misplaced 15Ω somewhere in there?

Indeed, the question of the day that is sure to waste plenty of time in the quest for an answer. :lmao:

Last edited:
i am surprised it lasted as long as it did .. maybe its a case of they made things better in the old days .
good luck with your search for the 15 ohm resistor .. at least its wrote on them rather than having to look at coloured bands .
by the way i found precision resistors available in a very similar package earlier .

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom