Yamaha M-4...whoddathunk it?

mgbendel

I have had and still have some expensive power amps. When I saw an M-4 in a local shop, asking a pittance for it, I had to take it home. Now, 100wpc is pretty light for what these NS-1000s crave. Yet, DANG does it sound great! I feel like the percussion really comes out at you and it images well. It is well controlled and tight, but a bit light in the bass.

For you Yamaha experts and fans, are there other Yamaha amps that are this detailed in the higher octaves, but a bit more generous in the lower register? I read that the later, higher end Yamahas have pure class A up to X watts, are there any to circle and others to avoid? How about Yamaha pre-amps, which are a good mate to vinyl and the NS-1ks?

I would like to build a system around Hamamatsu gear. Can you blame me?

M-4 typically will do 150+ WPC @ 1khz before clipping..Yamaha M-2 is rated at 250 WPC
Yamaha pre-amps, which are a good mate to vinyl and the NS-1ks?

I really like the C-4 for vinyl.

Don't waste your money on vintage Yamaha gear (feeble effort to keep prices down). A healthy M-4 performs quite respectably. Two M-4s bridged can supply some serious power. Truly a sleeper amp.

I've said this before all over this place, many times.
IMHO, The M-4 may be just about the 'best bang for buck' amp in all of vintage audio. Sure you may find something better, but you're gonna have to spend, a whole lot more, for perhaps a smidge more performance. You can find at least one, if not two M-4s everyday of the week, for under $200.

And for that $200, you'd be hard pressed to find a better sounding amp, better built amp, that will push out 150+ wpc. I bought my first M-4 about 2 years ago, after reading all the threads here praising it. It was my first Yamaha amp after using a C-6 and T-1, with a bunch of other non-Yamaha amps.
I found the C-6 and the T-1 meh. So I came to the M-4 without too many expectations. But the combo of the M-4/C-4 really is a match made in heaven.
I agree with Avionic. Go grab yourself a C-4 ASAP, and be prepared to be impressed.

:quietly steps off soapbox:

Last edited:
Those speakers have high sensitivity, so the power of your amp becomes irrelevant. You won't be able to force those speakers to consume anything close to 100 watts.

I've said this before all over this place, many times.
IMHO, The M-4 may be just about the 'best bang for buck' amp in all of vintage audio. Sure you may find something better, but you're gonna have to spend, a whole lot more, for perhaps a smidge more performance. You can find at least one, if not two M-4s everyday of the week, for under $200.

And for that $200, you'd be hard pressed to find a better sounding amp, better built amp, that will push out 150+ wpc. I bought my first M-4 about 2 years ago, after reading all the threads here praising it. It was my first Yamaha amp after using a C-6 and T-1, with a bunch of other non-Yamaha amps.
I found the C-6 and the T-1 meh. So I came to the M-4 without too many expectations. But the combo of the M-4/C-4 really is a match made in heaven.
I agree with Avionic. Go grab yourself a C-4 ASAP, and be prepared to be impressed.

:quietly steps off soapbox:

Back when I was stationed in Germany 1980-82. That was my first system.. NS-1000's/M-4/C-6/T-1/P-750/with a Shure V15,Type IV cart. and a NAK 480. I still have each piece and each piece still works quiet well.Replaced some parts here and there.. To keep it all tip-top.:thmbsp:

Last edited:
Those speakers have high sensitivity, so the power of your amp becomes irrelevant. You won't be able to force those speakers to consume anything close to 100 watts.

NS-1000's/M's are 90db efficient... 15 watt is to frick'n loud for this old fart.

15 watts is a bit much for me as well. There is something very special about the m4 with the ns1k sound. I will start looking for the c4 then. Is it just me or do they look pretty together?

Not just you.
Even my g/f who knows nothing about, and cares nothing about anything audio related, commented. How, "the back lit buttons, like in an airplane cockpit ', look so cool"!

Your in there man!! :banana:You gots the cool buttons..:thmbsp:...LOL

Back
Top Bottom