Yamaha CX-1000 CD input intermittant

bigbobster

I recently acquired a CX-1000 and a MX-630 and after a week of listening I like them a lot. It's a significant upgrade.

However, the CD input on the CX-1k is flaky. It works for a while but then drops a channel or is very distorted. Plugging and unplugging the source usually fixes it for a while. I have moved over to the tuner input, which is fine, but would like to fix the CD input.

I'm thinking there is a cold solder joint somewhere near the input jack. Before I attempt surgery on unfamiliar territory I thought the massed experience on the AK board may offer some guidance.

Any one out there work on these things?

Thanks, Bob

I recently acquired a CX-1000 and a MX-630 and after a week of listening I like them a lot. It's a significant upgrade.

However, the CD input on the CX-1k is flaky. It works for a while but then drops a channel or is very distorted. Plugging and unplugging the source usually fixes it for a while. I have moved over to the tuner input, which is fine, but would like to fix the CD input.

I'm thinking there is a cold solder joint somewhere near the input jack. Before I attempt surgery on unfamiliar territory I thought the massed experience on the AK board may offer some guidance.

Any one out there work on these things?

Thanks, Bob

I'm thinking there is a cold solder joint somewhere near the input jack
That or ..yamaha used some cheesy jacks that have folded over metal to metal contacts for the grounding tabs that loosen up with repeated insertion and removal of the RCA plugs. Reflow the solder connections for the CD input jacks.If that don't cure it, then its the metal contacts.

Last edited:
Seems to be a common problem. Solder cracks between sockets and PCB. It is very easy to fix with solder reflow, but requires major disassembly effort to pull out PCB. You may try to add liquid flux around contacts of problematic socket and then use really hot soldering iron to heat up socket pins. It may solve the problem (at least for some time) without pulling the whole thing apart.

I agree with Avionic and for p1. I have a CX-1000U that had flaky output connections. I finally had enough and opened it up. Good grief you do have to take a lot out to get to the rca connections. Took my time and hit all rcas and buttoned it back up. No problems since. I'm no pro and I don't really care to discuss how long it took me. It was worth every minute though. I love this unit.
Good luck in getting it fixed.

Kim

Back
Top Bottom