Value of Sansui b-2102 amplifier...

Mystery

constantly upgrading...
Not mos version.
Is $250 good deal?
Can't find any info in the auction site.
thanks

So its the big fella with the bar-graph power meters ?

I would have it in a heartbeat - but it depends on what condition it is in?

I have the C2101 preamp in my office setup now, sounds good and the 02 series is supposed to a step up from this. Might be a good thing.

Generally the BA and CA series are the ones to own. If it has a plastic front panel, walk away.

Thanks for comments.

Yes, it's the one with bar meters but there were two different versions.
One was MOS that weighs 80 lbs and another was 40 lbs version.
The one I'm looking at is 40 lbs one.
It's covered with layers of dust but otherwise looks okay.
Not sure yet if I want to bite. :scratch2:

Plastic panel?
Hmmm... it's like this one

sansui_b_2102.jpg

Last edited:
Are you at that garage sale in Arvada that's listed on CL?

If its working perfectly that seems reasonable, haven't had any experience with it but figure its only $1.25 a watt. It's a rarer amp from Sansui's final days though so parts and info will be hard to find if there are ever issues I'm sure.

I must admit I am not familiar with this particular model. I repaired a B-3000 (not to be confused with the BA-3000) which had a plastic front panel and was very poorly made inside. In general, with Sansui, if it has a metal front panel, it's good. Most of the ones where they cut back on the quality have plastic front panels, with the exception of the "R" series receivers, which had metal front panels but the bottom panel was pegboard! There is always an exterior clue as to the interior quality.

That amp is easily worth $250 if it's working. Only problem is the attenuators can be a bit troublesome. I just had my 2102 recapped and the bias reset to spec. I also had the attenuators worked so they're either off or on at 100%. If it makes you feel any better I paid $400 for mine and another $250 having it tuned up. Worth every dime.

Attachments

• sansui3.jpg
    sansui3.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 41
That amp is easily worth $250 if it's working. Only problem is the attenuators can be a bit troublesome.

Okay, thanks. Still undecided but it helps. :)

I must admit I am not familiar with this particular model. I repaired a B-3000 (not to be confused with the BA-3000) which had a plastic front panel and was very poorly made inside. In general, with Sansui, if it has a metal front panel, it's good. Most of the ones where they cut back on the quality have plastic front panels, with the exception of the "R" series receivers, which had metal front panels but the bottom panel was pegboard! There is always an exterior clue as to the interior quality.

It looks pretty solid and weighs around 40 lbs.
Has 4 big capacitors and a toroidal transformer.

That is a BEAST. BUY IT! Seriously!

It's a 200+ watt per ch version of the amp topology that is in the AU-D11ii.

Will ALWAYS sell for more than you paid. But I'll bet a buck you won't ever sell it.

That's the last of the GOOD Sansui power amps that were sold in any quantity.

edit: more pron pics...

editedit: I know you are a hard sell, so I'll continue to prod and push you. Let's put it this way, I'd take that B-2102 over a Yamamahaha M50, M70, or M4 anyday. The matching preamp is not the prettiest but is a GREAT performer. If you get both, you are done.

Attachments

• DSC01777.jpg
    DSC01777.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 41
  • DSC01778.jpg
    DSC01778.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 29
  • DSC01786.jpg
    DSC01786.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
That is a BEAST. BUY IT! Seriously!

It's a 200+ watt per ch version of the amp topology that is in the AU-D11ii.

Will ALWAYS sell for more than you paid. But I'll bet a buck you won't ever sell it.

That's the last of the GOOD Sansui power amps that were sold in any quantity.

edit: more pron pics...

editedit: I know you are a hard sell, so I'll continue to prod and push you. Let's put it this way, I'd take that B-2102 over a Yamamahaha M50, M70, or M4 anyday. The matching preamp is not the prettiest but is a GREAT performer. If you get both, you are done.

Haha... I'm not hard to sell, I'm hard to buy. :banana:
Thanks for comment.
I'm hesitating because both the volume/attenuator knobs are missing and I don't think they can be found anywhere.
I'll still go and test it though.
Will update...

replacement knobs will not be hard to find. Not matching ones, but similar. They are a common size.

I went and checked it out.
Seller said sometimes it turns off by itself and doesn't come back on for a while. :mad:
So passed on it even after the price was dropped to $150.
I am bad at fixing amps.
Hopefully, another in better condition is waiting for me somewhere. :thmbsp:

I know this is an old thread, however I have this amp and matching pre. Stellar build quality inside and truly 200 watts of old school power. The palstic facade, in this case, has nothing to due with the build on the inside....in fact the plastic facade is well made, does not feel cheap and low quality FWIW.

I would not hesitate to buy at OP's price point, I have the original bill of sale showing the amp, pre, tuner, EQ and CD player coming in at $4900 back in the day! Its a monster amp and after three years of daily use has not needed anything.

The pre has connects for 2 TT with settings for MM and MC. Excellent phono stage and the parametric EQ works well if you are so inclined to play with the sound. I originally got the setup with Sansui SE99 EQ and tuner, sold the tuner and EQ for FAR MORE than what I bought the whole system for.

With the amp and pre, I have a hard time believing I would ever sell this set ever, I would have to spend a TONNE of cash to get back to this quality of gear.

The plastic face on the amp can be removed easily and there are two small trim pots for dimming the VU bar graph lamps. A little too bright in stock form. IMHO.

Cheers All

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom