Why do people feel the need to be giant d***s!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ealyb11

When dealing with people online through Craigslist or EBay or what have you, why do people feel the need to be incredibly rude for no reason? If someone asks to meet them, or to lower the price or whatever it may be, a simple no will suffice. There's no reason to use foul language and be obscene. No wonder some stuff sits for sale for months.

Rant over.

-Ben

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While I have received parts ordered on ebay, that where not as described, the sellers have always been open to reasoning.
I have also tried ordering items that never showed up, always got a full refund no prob.
I have only dealt with British, German, Chinese (Hong Kong) and Korean sellers though.

Must be an American thing. I've had several encounters with Craigslist sellers that where just completely rude.

Maybe, I have noticed that ebay has a very bad reputation in the Americas, the German ebay is excellent though, I never had a problem there, none what so ever.

I know exactly what you mean. I was having a pleasant conversation over text with a guy about some ADS 910's he had on craigslist. As soon as I asked if he was firm at his price (which was quite high) he immediately switched to all caps, used a good deal of colorful language, and accused me of being some very nasty things.

Now I know for a fact this guy bought them from an earlier ad for a tiny fraction of the price and turned right around to flip them. As you said, a simple yes or no would have been sufficient.

Jesus if you're gonna go through all that why not just not respond if you're so offended by a potential buyer.

I'm afraid greed gets the best of many folks.

At least 95% of my Craigslist transactions go wonderfully, the other 5% are generally weirdo's.... although none have been particularly rude.

Because it's Craig's List. Same reason monkeys in a zoo throw poop at people passing by.

Obviously, I despise Craig's List. Try U.S. AudioMart. It's free too. Audiogon has much lower fees than fleecebay.

Then there's this guy from Ebay: (Sorry it's long, but it is entertaining)

* I was buying a random turntable platter to build my RCM at the time. It closed for $.99 + $10 shipping (fixed price)

Dear austintnacious,

Hello,
In your listing, the shipping price is $10. On my invoice, the shipping price is $14.50.

Can you please fix the invoice for the correct shipping price? Thanks, Jason

Dear hi*ball,

You know the padded envelope I'm shipping this to you in costs almost $2 at Staples. eBay charges $0.50 to list the item and then takes 9% commission on both the final sale price AND the shipping price. Then Paypal takes a couple of percent plus a transaction fee. Let's just round that to $4.00 for easy sums.
BEFORE shipping costs I'm already into it for $4 to sell you something for $0.99.

Now, I could send it with a USPS medium flat rate box which would cost $11.35. Guess what, that brings my total costs to $15.35! The invoice I sent you was, what, $15.49!? With this scenario I make $0.14 from this deal.
Let's say I decide to try to make closer to the $0.99 cents you bid on the item.

I estimate shipping weight to be 3 lbs, USPS tells me that that will cost me almost $9 to ship to you via parcel post.
Now I'm ONLY down $13! Wow, I might make $2.49 from this deal after all... if I screw you out of a whopping $1.50

But wait again! All the calculations above don't include the cost of the turntable I am parting out, the effort to dis-assemble it, photograph the parts and list them and then when the item sells to package it & drive to the post office to ship it. Let's not even get into how much the Feds want to take at the end of the year.

Why don't I just throw a crisp new $50 into the package for you also. Maybe you can send me your laundry, I could have it done for you and turned around in about a week. Or hey, are you a registered charity... Maybe I could just sign everything I have over to you. Wait, all I have is debt, no surprises there doing deals like this.

Just let me know if there's anything else you need that I can pay for!

No good deed goes un-punished, eh!? There is no-one else IN THE WORLD as far as I can tell selling another Hitachi platter. You need or want one!

I am making one available to you for $0.99 + shipping and the deal is still going to COST ME MONEY even after I up the shipping cost by $4.50 and you're still not happy?

Seriously? – austintnacious

Dear austintnacious,

Seriously? I mean, SERIOUSLY?

If you want more than a dollar, start your auction for 10 bucks.

I'm not paying for additional shipping when the auction says "$10 shipping"
- hi*ball

Dear hi*ball,

Shall we just cancel the deal then?
- austintnacious

Dear austintnacious,

No, I want the item, for the price it closed for, plus the listed shipping.

- hi*ball

Dear hi*ball,

Want doesn't get bro! Especially when you're being unreasonable about it. I explained in detail how much it would cost me to send it to you and you obviously still think you're entitled to get something from me for even better than free, it costs me money to give you something.

I'm a reasonable person and I'd be happy to finish the deal, I even would have worked with you a bit but since you've been such a hard case there is no way on this planet in this life that you'll be getting the item for any less than the amount in the invoice I sent you. If you want the platter, pay the invoice. Otherwise we open a case and the deal gets cancelled, I get a ding on my seller account you don't get the part you need/want because you don't like the FACT that it'll cost $4.50 more than you thought.

Go buy the part somewhere else.

I'm not making $4.50 more in the deal, I apologize if my shipping estimate was wrong but it was wrong. Your invoice total is now $15.49.

Have a nice day!

- austintnacious

Dear austintnacious,

Ebay will be in contact with you. "Have a nice day"
- hi*ball

Certain activities seem to be able to bring out odd behavior in people that are otherwise mostly well behaved. I do not claim to understand this. Look at my list and see if you agree with me:

--golf (throwing clubs, wrapping club around tree trunk)
--peer-to-peer response postings to internet articles (instant anger)
--driving automobiles (would never use that finger otherwise)
--smoking (toss butt without thinking but would never litter otherwise)
--bicycling (wouldn't think of running a stop sign in the car...)

5% are weirdos... like the equivalent of those weirdos you see in walmart or have their car packed with loads of junk that you can see it in the windows.

I am not perfect, and if I am in the middle of 16 different things I may leave a reply that comes off a bit more curt than I intended, but I have had the run-around from some people that I am glad I just did not end up dealing with!

Must be an American thing. I've had several encounters with Craigslist sellers that where just completely rude.

No, its only some CL users that treat Cl like a peddlers market and offer super lowball prices or insult you if you deviate from their get rich quick schemes ...

You weasel
:banana:

Just kidding, but I've seen some Cl folks that were pretty reasonable and mannered ...

Certain activities seem to be able to bring out odd behavior in people that are otherwise mostly well behaved. I do not claim to understand this. Look at my list and see if you agree with me:

--golf (throwing clubs, wrapping club around tree trunk)
--peer-to-peer response postings to internet articles (instant anger)
--driving automobiles (would never use that finger otherwise)
--smoking (toss butt without thinking but would never litter otherwise)
--bicycling (wouldn't think of running a stop sign in the car...)

Stupidity and inconsiderateness (is that even a word?) tends to make me a bit angry, I encounter this most often online and on the roads.

bicycling on the other hand I find relieves stress. :music:

5% are weirdos... like the equivalent of those weirdos you see in walmart or have their car packed with loads of junk that you can see it in the windows.

I am not perfect, and if I am in the middle of 16 different things I may leave a reply that comes off a bit more curt than I intended, but I have had the run-around from some people that I am glad I just did not end up dealing with![/

^This x10000.

It works both ways.......I hate it when people are rude enough to send a message and tell me that I will never get what I am asking for the item and low ball me and offer less than % 50 of my asking price. I have actually gone as far as to send those types the completed auction listing to prove to them that I know my business and market.

Surprisingly (or not), I have not had any issues with CL. I have only sold through CL, never purchased.

eBay, on the other hand, is a completely different story. Huge issues both buying and selling. Scammed within an inch of my wallet on buying. Selling was such a nightmare it was even worse than buying.... and that's hard to believe. I won't get into details but suffice it to say that when I sold something, no matter what, no matter how low priced, no matter how detailed the pictures or information or bold statements describing the condition, the seller almost always wanted 50 percent to 100 percent refunded (and keep the merchandise) after delivery or else he was going to open a case and leave me negative feedback. That happened so often it was almost a Boiler Plate. It was almost comical.

I have had CL'ers try and talk me down on price, but when I was politely firm, they purchased and were happy.

I guess you have to be on your toes with either, but in my case, CL has been much better than eBay. I know YMMV.

I've had very good experiences buying gear through craigslist. However, I'll never sell anything through craigslist ever again.

It works both ways.......I hate it when people are rude enough to send a message and tell me that I will never get what I am asking for the item and low ball me and offer less than % 50 of my asking price. I have actually gone as far as to send those types the completed auction listing to prove to them that I know my business and market.

While I would never go as far to tell someone they would never get what they're asking or really lowball them, I have had friendly arguments about the value of items a few times.

Some people take Ebay prices as gospel, however many of them are inflated and would never ever be achieved locally to me. I've had sellers contact me months later after their items sat for months without another offer and accept mine that was originally "much too low" in comparison with completed ebay auctions

I was scammed pretty badly on ebay about a year ago. I sold a Musical Fidelity DAC to some guy. He claimed it didn't work and I hadn't typed in "no returns" or anything to protect myself in the listing. I ended up refunding his money plus shipping.

I know the DAC was working two days prior to shipping it. I'm fairly certain such a device wasn't damaged in shipping as I packaged it very well and there were no moving parts. Everything was soldered snugly to the PCB. The only thing I can think is he must have owned the same model DAC and it went south on him and he swapped the PCB board with my working DAC. Unfortunately, I have no way to verify this as I had never opened the DAC up to write down any serial numbers or place any markings inside the unit.

I lost just under $300 on that transaction. :tears:

People can be big schmucks. Live and learn.

Then there's this guy from Ebay: (Sorry it's long, but it is entertaining)

* I was buying a random turntable platter to build my RCM at the time. It closed for $.99 + $10 shipping (fixed price)

Dear austintnacious,

Hello,

...etc....

I'm not clear - in this tale, which one of you is the d***?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom