time to upgrade my system please help

Morey

Hi,
I have put together and entry level system, and have been enjoying it for a while now and feel it might be time to step it up and upgrade.

My system consists of:
Thiel cs 1.5 speakers
rega brio-r integrated amp
pro ject debut III Turntable

I use my system for playing records almost exclusively

What component should I switch out/upgrade first?

I have been looking into Mcintosh c28 preamps as an option to switch my integrated with, had a chance to listen to a system with that c28 preamp and it sounded great , warm and very detailed, and it seems to be quite affordable

Any way any advice or tips on what my next move should be regarding new equipment that is relatively affordable ($600-$1300 price range) would be appreciated

thanks
Morey

Other than, 'better' how specifically do you want to change your sound?

If you aren't wanting to change your speakers, I'd probably plan on getting either a power amp now and plan on a preamp as my next purchase or possibly vice versa if you get a scorching deal on a pre. I know pres make a difference, esp the phono section, but I tend to favor more robust power amps.

I'd personally get a laptop and a Schiit Modi hooked in there, but that's me.

I think you have a very well-balanced system. If you aren't keen on digital and you don't have a huge room that is swallowing the Thiels, I think I'd work on replacing the integrated.

What cartridge do you have? How many hours on the stylus?

I would look at cartridge options too. That's a pretty robust "entry" level system as it is.

Cartridge/needle and then look for a good used separate phono stage - Simaudio moon or the like.

I wouldn't be in a rush to swap out your integrated just yet. In my experience the biggest difference is achieved by starting at the ends and working toward the middle.

One end is the source and the other the reproduction so the cart on one end and speakers on the other.

I will likely draw dissent but my experience holds true for me. Ymmv of course.

If it were me, before I started replacing equipment I would make sure my TT was tweeked and dialed in as best as it could be with my existing cartridge, then maybe try a different cartridge for a while, THEN look into different equipment.

But that's just me. :music:

If it were me, before I started replacing equipment I would make sure my TT was tweeked and dialed in as best as it could be with my existing cartridge, then maybe try a different cartridge for a while, THEN look into different equipment.

Yeah I basically agree. Lots of cool TT tweaks to be had for not much money. Herbie's mat, power supply, platter etc. those debut tables are very customizable iirc.

Thank scratz2,
What I am looking for as far as different or "better" sound is: I find my system to be all and all great sounding but it seems to lack the liveliness I have heard in vintage gear, the feeling that one or more of the instruments or players are in the room with you and the separation of those instruments in your ears, the extra gain and warmth that really commands the room.. etc etc.

I will def look into a new power and pre situation, like I said before, I am drawn to the mcintosh c-28 for some reason(seem to be going for 600 on ebay) and would love to find a great power to drive them

Agree with this. Next step record cleaning machine. Also examine the stylus under a microscope for wear.

Another question mentioned above- what specifics do you wish to change? Dynamics, limited bass, limited ultimate loudness?

An easier to drive speaker would compliment your Brio-R.

Conversely, a higher power amp would suit the Thiels. They like a bit of power.

A cartridge upgrade might be second.

Your system is very well balanced. Nice job:thmbsp:

Oh and the room is about 10.5 f wide and about 30 f wide, its an old rail road apt, ceilings aint to high either, the speakers and the listening couch/"area" or on the 10.5 side opposite each other, probably about 7 feet from speaker to ear.

What TT upgrades should I seek out I am seeing allot of people are in favor of switching out the whole platter and putting in this project acryl it mat ?http://www.project-audio.com/main.php?prod=acrylit&cat=accessories&lang=en
vs just changing the mat from the felt to another material. which one would be the best?

I definitely like the Idea of finding ways to improve the sound with some minor upgrades to the TT, rather the spending allot of money right away on new speakers or amps.. but its hard to know which way to go.. which stylus to get etc..
also is getting a phono stage recommended even if the amp has a supposedly good one built in (sorry if this question is dumb..)

anyway thanks for all you help I will go read up and research some more.. any more tips or advice will be highly appreciated

davidb1 - I suppose I am looking for a warmer sound with more gain or character, in allot of older gear systems i have been really able to imagine the player or the instruments separated in the room, I feel my system sounds good but it doesn't achieve those "live" qualities,

I have been using the stylus and turntable for a bit over a year, hard to say how many hours listened maybe one - two daily hours in average. however there are days with much much more... but really hard to say.. how often should a stylus be changed?

More expert help probably available on the table/cartridge tweaks over in the turntable forum.
As mentioned above, the Thiels do like power.
Also as mentioned, really a fairly well balanced system.
Try experimenting with toe in and toe out as well.
Many threads here on the Brio-R and probably the Thiels as well. Use the Google search feature.:yes:

The angle of the speakers facing you. Thiels have a reputation of being slightly "hot" on the extreme high end. That being said, I have an old Absolute Sound laying around that has an extremely positive review. May/June 1998. Check your local library, the downtown Atlanta library has all the issues since publication. Reviewed by Tamara Baker, she said they are all but flat to 45hz., and noted they are very clean sounding, not adding any bass that isn't on the recording. Perhaps a sealed box construction type sub could be in your future and would add some of the warmth you are seeking. Go slow, experiment with speaker placement, and read up on your table/cartridge combo. Mechanical transducers such as cartridges and speakers and stylus types/wear are more likely to produce greater audible changes in a system's overall sound than changing amps/speaker wire/interconnects IMHO.

Consider this:
http://www.needledoctor.com/Ortofon-20-Stylus?sc=2&category=63

Stylus upgrade will make a big difference. Do some searches for om5 stylus upgrade on AK and Google.

Also consider a shure or grado cart. They have a warmer "house sound" that you might find pleasing. Ortofon tend to have some fizz and sparkle to them as they lean to brightness. Many people love their sound so it's entirely personal. It really depends in what kind of music you enjoy too, and of course how your system is set up.

Somebody had commented on the thiels struggling with highs (I'm unfamiliar with them) so a move to a warmer cart might help with balance and realism.

Down the rabbit hole you go. Good luck down there.

You have a nice system as is. Why not be patient, hard I know, and save some more money. In the meantime listen to as much gear as you can and set some future goals. With your current budget most moves will be lateral aside from some TT tweaks.

cubdog

Back
Top Bottom