NE summer 2014 sweatfest workshop thread

audiodon

Addicted Member
It's that time again.
Here are the workshop guidelines. I've shortened them, believe it or not.

It's time to put a wet thumb up in the air and hope it doesn't burn off while trying to figure out what workshops we should run at the Sweatfest.

Workshops typically run 30-45 minutes or are ad-hoc as interest dictates (in the case of tube-testing workshops n'stuff).
Typically, they'd run at 2:00 and if there's a second one, that'd be at 3:00.

Vinyl Workshop Series:
There's been a lot of interest in turntable stuff and here's a summary of the vinyl workshop series:

Now that Stephanie Gaynor and Tom_in_RI have run a record grading workshop, the vinyl renaissance (or is it reconnaissance) continues.
In the spirit of presenting and nurturing a series of vinyl workshops, here's a proposition for three vinyl workshops:
1. Turntable setup: Fall Frankenfest: Done! Thanks John.
2. Turntable types: Winter Freezefest: Done! Thanks Adam.
3. Digitizing vinyl rips, cleaning up clicks and pops, file rendering for digital playback:
Summer Sweatfest: Bostown has volunteered for #3. Others?
Note: Bostown has a beautiful new baby girl. His life now includes having two kids under age 3 in the house, so he's forgiven in advance if he'd like to delay or skip the vinyl cleanup workshop.

Workshops require three things:
1. Enough people have to be interested in a workshop to request and then attend it.
2. Someone has to agree to deliver the workshop.
3. Space has to be made available and planning needs to be completed.

These are not onerous professional workshops. They're fun informal clinics on subjects of audio interest by and for enthusiasts.

If you have a suggestion for a workshop, please post it in this thread.
If you have knowledge and are willing to perform a workshop, please post it in this thread and I will contact you to coordinate time and location and drum up interest.
If you have knowledge but are not experienced in delivering a workshop or are curious about how this works and would like assistance with planning and executing, please let me know.

This post is a wish list of all suggested workshops from past fests that haven't been run.
These are for future reference:

1. Headphone Rig Showcase
2. DAC shootout - done in a half-handed way.
3. Nelson Pass gear listening.

Any workshops that don't happen but have more than one inquiry and I've remembered it will also be listed here.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Workshops require three things:
1. Enough people have to be interested in a workshop to request and then attend it.
2. Someone has to agree to deliver the workshop.
3. Space has to be made available and planning needs to be completed.

These are not onerous professional workshops.
They're fun informal clinics on subjects of audio interest by and for enthusiasts.

If you have a suggestion for a workshop, please post it in this thread.
If you have knowledge and are willing to perform a workshop, please post it in this thread and I will contact you to coordinate time and location and drum up interest.

Let the fun begin.

Last edited:
First workshop suggestion.
I'll be bringing the ratrig Fisher X-101-C recently updated by AK'er dcgillespie, a turntable, a universal player, a cable to play music from a portable player or phone, and my pair of JR149 speakers with a sub. I'd like to snag an isolated quiet area such as the pink room upstairs or the lobby upstairs or over in Frank's office area.
Does anyone have any suggestion for the best sounding area that's not so out of the way that nobody can find it?

This 7591 based Fisher integrated amp puts out a measured 34.5 watts per channel.
If you would like to find out if your speakers are tube friendly, this is your chance to bring your speakers and try them on tubes.

Retroman98 already wants to try his Fisher panels. Anyone else?
I suspect that anything but true power hogs should be fine.

If anyone wants to do the vinyl to digital ripping workshop, I'd be happy to bring along a MacBook Pro with Vinyl Studio ripping/correcting software. I don't have a good A-to-D converter so if someone can bring a high quality ADC, that would be helpful. I'll bring mine anyway just in case. I'm not planning on bringing a turntable but we can use one that's there.

If anyone wants to do the vinyl to digital ripping workshop, I'd be happy to bring along a MacBook Pro with Vinyl Studio ripping/correcting software. I don't have a good A-to-D converter so if someone can bring a high quality ADC, that would be helpful. I'll bring mine anyway just in case. I'm not planning on bringing a turntable but we can use one that's there.

Is this happening? I'd be interested in attending this one....

First workshop suggestion.
I'll be bringing the ratrig Fisher X-101-C recently updated by AK'er dcgillespie, a turntable, a universal player, a cable to play music from a portable player or phone, and my pair of JR149 speakers with a sub. I'd like to snag an isolated quiet area such as the pink room upstairs or the lobby upstairs or over in Frank's office area.
Does anyone have any suggestion for the best sounding area that's not so out of the way that nobody can find it?

This 7591 based Fisher integrated amp puts out a measured 34.5 watts per channel.
If you would like to find out if your speakers are tube friendly, this is your chance to bring your speakers and try them on tubes.

Retroman98 already wants to try his Fisher panels. Anyone else?
I suspect that anything but true power hogs should be fine.

Hi Don,

I'll also bring my X-101-C. If you want you could do a side-by-side comparison.

Cheers.

Workshops always seem to come together at the last minute.

The lobby will have the flip chart citing locations and times.

1. I'll have the dcgillespie X-101-C set up upstairs in a near-field listening setup.
You're welcome to bring your speakers to try with a tube amp for a good solid tested 34.5 watt output, or bring your amp or your pre and we can disconnect the amp or pre and you can try your amp with a tube pre or try your pre with a tube amp.
2. Chinacave will have some stuff set up for listening in the pink room on the second floor. This will include some Marantz preamps he's been putting some work into.
3. ??????

There won't be a vinyl ripping workshop this time LexDM3 is strapped for time.
So, it's just going to be the upstairs listening workshops 1 and 2.
Bring that evaluation piece you want to listen to - vinyl, digital disc, or on your phone.

Back
Top Bottom