Yamaha Receiver Phono Stage Opinions?

bonaccmj

Hi all, I have a Yamaha R-S300 receiver, about a year old, and so far I love it. However, I am just curious how you think this receiver's (or ones similar to it) phono stage stacks up to other ones you've heard. Personally, I prefer listening to vinyl and I can't fault the phono stage in my R-S300 but I have almost no frame of reference, as I have never really had the opportunity to listen to other phono preamps. If someone with an R-S300 or a similar amp or receiver (R-S500, R-S700, A-S301, A-S501, etc.) would be able to chime in to let me know how the built-in phono stage compares with other examples you've heard, better or worse, I would be mighty grateful! :music:

Thanks All :)

Last edited:
Personally I think the Yamaha phono stage is as good as or better than most
My frame of reference is various receivers including Pioneer Kenwood and Marantz and I currently use a Cr 820 but I am turntable-less right now but I once had a B&O table playing through it using large advents and it was stunning

Hmm, thanks for your reply, Jpowell1. I tend to agree, the Yamaha does sound awesome (though again I have virtually no comparison). I guess I was curious because I am wondering if an upgrade to a stand-alone phono preamp would be worth it. I'm very happy with it as it is now, but how would I know if I'm missing out?

I think it's a pretty solid phono stage. No real A-B tests, but I've listened to my friend's RS500, and I have a Yammy AS2000 and a vintage Pioneer to compare to.

I don't think you will find anyone in the Yamaha community that has anything but love for the Yammy phono stage. That being said I can't remember ever coming across any negative comments when non Yamaha folk are asked about it and what they think of it when they hear it.

So in conclusion, the Galactic consensus is:

Yup, "Good Stuff".:thmbsp:

:D

I don't think you will find anyone in the Yamaha community that has anything but love for the Yammy phono stage. That being said I can't remember ever coming across any negative comments when non Yamaha folk are asked about it and what they think of it when they hear it.

So in conclusion, the Galactic consensus is:

Yup, "Good Stuff".:thmbsp:

:D

Well, You can add me to the list. I loves me some Yamaha Phono Pre. Can't stand the rest of the receiver, but man, that pre is pure fun.

Back
Top Bottom