QLS-1 power demands

Laughter

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
For those of you in the know.... Just how power hungry are the QLS-1 speakers? I have come across a pair, but I'm not sure I can drive them.

I have a couple of options available. My Onkyo TX-SR806 (130 W @ 8 ohms to 300 W @ 3 ohm) will allow me to bi-amp.

I could throw my NEC M-50 mono blocks (100 W @ 4 ohm, dynamic power 240 W @ 2 ohms) into the mix to spread the load.

Feel free to tell me I won't be able to drive these. This opportunity just came up and the price is good (but not if I have to spend big bucks on new amps).

Thanks,
john

Having just had my own opportunity to score some 8k's, and also being worried about having enough power to drive them properly, my advice to you would be to get the speakers now and worry about how you're going to feed them later. I'd be willing to bet that you don't have a chance to pick-up a pair of QLS-1's on a regular basis, especially at a price that you consider decent!

If nothing else you could probably turn them for a profit at some point down the line. If I were you I'd grab 'em while the grabbin's good!

you will be fine with the monoblocks....

congrats...they are one of the ultimate Infinity's...make sure one thing, they are a mirror pair and not the same... I've seen a set for sale that were the same speaker...no good...

My amp history with my QLS-1's....

- Hafler 500 (modded and restored)....meh

- Soundcraftsmen MA5002 (modded and restored)....totally competent with the big Infinities and very nice sonics, especially considering the price of admission

- Emotiva XPA-2....the Q1's put it into protect mode several times. Next.

- Adcom GFA 5500....nice, but not as nice as the Soundcraftsmen

- Aragon 8008....the Q1's have turned into something even more extraordinary than they already were....WOW!

- Threshold s/300 (recapped and modded)....as if it could get better than the Aragon. And with 100 less watts, at that. If one is this good, two must be even better.

- Biamped Threshold s/300's (both units recapped and modded)....surely I'd have to spend ridiculous money to do better than this. Surely!

So, get the Q1's and start planning on better upstream electronics because those speakers will reward you handsomely as you make improvements there. And make sure the room is good for them...needs to be at least around 16x20 and acoustically treated because the dome mids have a very wide dispersion pattern so they'll surely generate strong early reflections from the side walls.

I figured a Mac MC2200, rated at 200 watts (but tested to 265 watts) would do the trick but these speakers need an amp that can really show them who's boss. The cabinet is nearly seven cubic feet, too big for the Watkins woofers according to Bill Watkins himself.

So I found a second 2200 and strapped them into 400 watt mono blocks. Now they sound better, not just louder but more controlled.

So yeah, them need big power! Just get them and upgrade your amp(s) when you find it necessary.

Don't know what the going rate is on a replacement midrange is on those, or how easy a good one is to find. A lot of times, it is not bad fixing a broken tinsel wire, looking at the overall condition of the pair, the asking price of 750 looks decent to me. A 7 hour one way trip for me to go get them. Way too far for something I don't need. If it was half that distance, I'd be calling him now and driving after work today if I got a good impression of the seller over the phone. Don't waste your time getting them, or at least looking at them in person with cash in pocket.

I think the most inexpensive way would be to pick up a used pro audio amp like a Mackie M800 or something of the like. High powered pro audio amps are readily available on Craigslist for super cheap, and they'll give you an opportunity to hear how these speakers sound with a lot of juice going to them.

I push mine with a recapped 700B and it works for me. Probably could do better but that's what I have for now.

Uggh. I just missed a hafler five hundred locally that might have done the trick. If I wasn't unexpectedly job hunting these would be here right now.

Back
Top Bottom