Kappa 8 and AA-1800

Just over two weeks in and the smile still hasn't left my face every time I fire these things up. I've been particularly enthralled with all-things Mickey Hart over this last week, and until these 8k's I've never heard Psychopomp (from Däfos) without a lot of distortion. Hurray for sonic accuracy!

You're right that I would have drooled all over these things back in the late 80's had I even known they existed. I was too busy spending my time and money on other pursuits, though I do remember the fantastic NHT subwoofer I picked-up to use with my Realistic receiver...that thing kicked pretty hard (or so it seemed at the time) and I wish I hadn't parted ways with it.

I'm pretty sure that I've been bitten by the Infinity bug. I'm already thinking about what might be next...both speaker- and amp-wise...and am keeping my eyes open for the opportunity to piece together a new system for the living room.

I love the Infinity sound and I love your choice of music! Tried blasting Lark's Tongues yet? That's one of my "test discs" because of all the detail and dynamics.

Yes, indeed, Larks' Tongues was one of the first things I played after I got these things hooked-up. A stellar album, to be sure, and I was in no way disappointed. The revealing nature of these speakers has made my seemingly stale library vibrant again, and I've discovered that a few of my old tried n' true favorites really aren't as well-engineered as I had always considered them to be...which, oddly enough, makes me happy. I'm just lucky to be able to discern the difference.

Within the next month or two I'm planning on moving this system out to the living room, from my office where it is now, which I am fully anticipating will have a significant impact on dynamics. I've also started the hunt for a set of monoblocks to push the lower end, as these 8k's seem to have no limits with regard to how much juice you feed 'em, and although my 1800 is definitely capable of the demands I'm putting upon it, you can never really have too much on tap...should be interesting!

This week's particular favorites - Mark Knopfler, David Gilmour, Steeleye Span and Genesis' early stuff (especially Selling England and Foxtrot) - sweet, sweet aural bliss!

Back
Top Bottom