What amp drives your Infinities?

My Infinity RS 2.5's are biamped, with Kenwood L-07M monoblocks on the high pass, and an Altec 9440A on the low pass, utilizing a Bryston 10b active crossover unit. Bliss.

I drive my Kappa 9's with a pair of DBX BX3 amps. The amp that drives the woofers never even gets more than warm at very loud levels and the fan doesn't even come on. No problem with 2 ohm or lower loads. I use a DBX CX3 pre which has 2 sets of outputs. I recently hooked up my Carver M1.5t on the upper end and switched to one of my Kenwood basic C-2 pre's that I recapped. Both set ups sound different but both are fantastic.

I have a pair of Qa cabs with drivers from a RS5b, driven with a Crown XLS-1500 Drivecore. Headroom? Buckets of it. Polydome K mids & EMIT tweeters will reveal a sub par amp. The Crown XLS-1500 Drivecore can easily hang with the big boys :music:

Just picked up an Iverson Eagle 7-A for my Kappa 8's. I'll post a few pics when it's up and running.

Is that the dual mono version? About 130 pounds or so? Better not need parts or it'll make infinity parts look cheap, in comparison.

You are correct, I've already talked to the SO about sending it in for the overhaul. But so far this one seems to have lived a pretty charmed life and was recently checked. If I didn't know better you'd think it was brand new.

It works perfectly best we can tell and really charms the Kappa 8's.

picked up a Kenwood KM206 for $40 at flea mkt , running Qb's on it through NAD7140 for pre , sounds real nice

OK, now it's(all diffferent pairs)

Crescendo 3009 being powered by Carver PM 1.5 with a Bryston Pre
Rennasaince 90 "
Crescendo 3007 being powered by Carver M 1.5t
Crescendo 3009 being powered by Lepai LP7498e
Infintesimal IV "
Crescendo 3007 "
Qa "

as soon as I get some time, I'm gonna experiment with bi-amping my Ren 90s with the pair of PM 350s that are since my move sitting idle.

The little lepai chip amp (~100wpc) really drives the infinity (at least the easier models) to astonishing clarity and volume with little effort.

Cherry Ultra Class D

I'm using a Cherry Ultra class D digital amplifier on my RS 2.5s and I'm loving it. It has way more than enough power to drive these speakers and it has to be the best sounding amp I've ever owned. This new generation of class D amps are (in my opinion) the best thing that's happened to audio reproduction in a long time.

One amp manufacturer, Jeff Rowland, is changing his amplifier lineup to all class D amps except for one or two models. If you get a chance to hear one of the new class D models that have just come out, then give them a listen. Let your ears tell you what sounds good. I'm selling all my collection of amps to pay for the Cherry Ultra. None of the others come close and I 'was' happy with them all.

Larry D.

K9'S-Yam MX-1000 on the bottom and a Yam M2 on top...had an Emo XPA-2 and it would go into protect every time...bummer too, I liked that amp. Also ran a Onkyo M-504 on top and it sounded great too. Been thinkin about Adcoms lately...just don't think they would sound better than these Yamys!

A Terry fresh MC2200 barely pushes a recapped pair of QLS1 speakers. "Scotty, I need more power!"
I've added a second MC2200 and strapped them both into mono for 400 watts. Now there's MUCH more control of those Watkin's woofers, no more flopping around in that seven cubic foot cabinet! It seems like there's more stereo separation too.

Carver Pro Anyone?

I picked up a pm1.5 recently. I like it on the tops of my Gammas. Anyone got good/bad experience to share?
I like the unlimited headroom. Jury still out on sound quality, but that amp does something magical with the L-EMIMS. SLAM!
Dave

Last edited:
arnie's amps?

:ntwrthy:
seller in colorado implies these could be. been seeing these beasts treading water on ebay for quite a few weeks. from the description:

"One pair of Audio Research Ref 600 Amplifiers. These beautiful and classic amplifiers are being offered for sale on behalf of one of the great audio engineers in the world. He has designed and built some of the most highly regarded loudspeakers on the planet (Infinity IRS, Genesis I, II, III, IV etc). There is no doubt that he has an ear for quality. It’s this highly evolved ear that led the previous owner to select these fine amplifiers to be used in the most important stage of his speaker designs. They were used only in the final voicing stage of some of the larger, power-hungry prototypes. If you’re lucky enough to own one of these fine speakers and have been seeking the ultimate amplifier pairing, look no further."

pieces of history...

Attachments

• audio-research-amp-24.jpg
    audio-research-amp-24.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 82
  • audio-research-amp.jpg
    audio-research-amp.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 75
Wow...those are some impressive amplifiers, to be sure. 2200 watt draw maximum, 170 pounds each - now that's what I call "heavy-duty" - can only imagine how delicious they sound when they're all warmed-up and softly glowin'. There's another pair of them for sale in Germany for ~$22k USD (OBO). Must be nice when money is of no concern.

Note to self: buy lottery tickets

40 6550's ouch. They would be like having a coal stove in your lr. Could not afford the tubes, air conditioning, amp or the electricity. Fun to dream though...

Back
Top Bottom