Hubert NC console with QUAD (UK) electronics!

KiM3Ce

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
http://www.estatesales.net/estate-sales/NC/Hubert/28539/736050

Those Quad units are probably tube and mono. I never saw that brand of turntable before but it looks serious! Also some RTR tapes pictured. Are they using this with those Bose speakers?

More pictures at the bottom! Looks like the turntable is made by Sugden. Looks like an Ampex tape deck, QUAD mono tube amps in the back! Holy cathodes Batman!

I'd love to get the University of Chicago pennant with the football player. UC shut down their football program in 1939.

Sale has started. Good luck!

Attachments

• quad1.jpg
    quad1.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 83
  • contt2.jpg
    contt2.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 66
  • quads.jpg
    quads.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 72
  • console.jpg
    console.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 75
  • console2.jpg
    console2.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
That console is sporting a pair of Quad QC-2s. They were mono tube preamps from about '62-65... the fact that they are paired, and the tuner appears to be a stereo piece, would imply the system has a pair of tube amps hidden away inside as well. If it has a pair of Quad IIs sitting in there, it's quite a system!

Chunking Arcade is in Hong Kong; if the console was made there, that would explain the British gear. Hubert is adjacent to the Camp Lejune Marine base so there may be a connection. Cool!

There are, indeed a pair of Quad IIs in the bottom - there's some pics of them at the very end, along with what I'd bet are some NOS British tubes.

There's also another piece of furniture in the exact same style that might be worth looking at, in case there's something inside it too.

I wonder what they want for it all?

Yeah, I didn't scroll all the way down the first time, there are a pair of Quad IIs in there!! "The Radio People" also built cabinets for (mostly) Wharfedale components... makes me wonder if a pair of the "end tables" that might be in there somewhare are actually a pair of W-70s with matching cabinets.

If I were closer, I'd LOVE to check that sale out!!

It's possible they don't know what it is and maybe there is a chance for a scroe.

Considering that they lead with pictures of it and dedicated over a dozen pictures to it, my guess is that they know it's good.

"Fantastic and very rare console stereo with amps, tubes, etc."

But $2K-$3K good, I don't know.

Last edited:
"The Radio People" also built cabinets for (mostly) Wharfedale components... makes me wonder if a pair of the "end tables" that might be in there somewhare are actually a pair of W-70s with matching cabinets.

If I were closer, I'd LOVE to check that sale out!!

That's exactly what I was thinking! :yes:

I actually got as far as looking it up on Google maps, but it's 1600 miles from me. :no:

Well this was still up on my computer when I got back to work today... so I'm posting some more pics for prosperity :)

There's a matching "end table" -- maybe a Radio People constructed W-70.

Sure would like to know what they were asking and got for this thing

Attachments

• 1 (3).jpg
    1 (3).jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 31
  • 1 (5).jpg
    1 (5).jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 29
  • 1 (15).jpg
    1 (15).jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 33
  • 1 (2).jpg
    1 (2).jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 25
The tuner is fm mono and the other would be either the am-sw or am. My first thought was ex-military and would have been a high ranking officer. As the cabinet is from Radio People, I would also suspect sitting around are a pair of the Radio People constructed W70s.

That was one serious unit back then that set the buyer back serious coin and for a QUAD lover it is the mother load as the mono preamps and tuners are so rare.

Back
Top Bottom