Goodwill/SA/Thrift Store Discussions & Finds

Actually, I was thinking that you might have rented a truck for the occasion...

I figured they were at least "really good" speakers, and potentially "great," because I had seen people talking about Time Windows on AK. However, these were TW3, and I couldn't find much on a Google search, so I didn't know if they were coveted. Plus, I don't have a big enough room (well, I do have a big enough room but my wife ain't letting me put something that size in there), don't have a strong enough amp, and don't want to deal with Craig's List people, so unfortunately I really didn't have any reason NOT to walk away.

Would that RCA tube console have been worth anything? I did some google searching on it and it sounded pretty run of the mill, so I don't feel too bad about missing it. I could have bought it for $40 last week.

Mirage 1090i speakers

The Mirage 1090i Bipolar ( Quick, get the meds) speakers I picked up Thursday. They put out more bass that I would have thought.

Attachments

• DSCN0541.jpg
    DSCN0541.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 56
  • DSCN0542.jpg
    DSCN0542.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 72
Stopped and got a dozen doughnuts on the way to the recycle place this morning. The owner was busy with a customer when I arrived. Set the doughnuts on the counter, and headed back to the receiving area. And there it was, a Dynaco ST-150 with the manual sitting on top of it. Didn't waste any time grabbing it and taking it up front. Waited for the owner to finish his sale. He comes over, looks at the amp, and says "the usual?", I say sure and hand him a twenty as he walks away to make change. I stopped him half way, and handed him another twenty. He looked surprised, so I told him it was a good amp, and that it was clean.
Man, this thing looks like it's never been used. The serial number on the manual matches the unit's...................good times! :)

Attachments

• dyna ST150.jpg
    dyna ST150.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 196
  • dyna nudie.jpg
    dyna nudie.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 190
  • dyna back.jpg
    dyna back.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 182
Stopped and got a dozen doughnuts on the way to the recycle place this morning. The owner was busy with a customer when I arrived. Set the doughnuts on the counter, and headed back to the receiving area. And there it was, a Dynaco ST-150 with the manual sitting on top of it. Didn't waste any time grabbing it and taking it up front. Waited for the owner to finish his sale. He comes over, looks at the amp, and says "the usual?", I say sure and hand him a twenty as he walks away to make change. I stopped him half way, and handed him another twenty. He looked surprised, so I told him it was a good amp, and that it was clean.
Man, this thing looks like it's never been used. The serial number on the manual matches the unit's...................good times! :)

Nice! :thmbsp:

I picked up a Magnavox CDB465 for $14 at a local thrift store. The sled action was so smooth, and the faceplate is nice, I really didn't need it but everyone keeps on harping about the td1451? dac chip, and it looked pretty clean that I had to buy it. Will check it out later tonite!

The prequel to this is just recently I lost a NEC cd500? What happened is the drawer stuck closed again, after multiple times cleaning and looking for the glitch, and lo and behold suddenly the drawer was unattached lying on the floor. Of course the dam. thing had to get in the last word and cut my thumb. Then it fell far enough to make sure multiple pieces made noise inside, then I stumbled and stepped on it... Next day I picked up a NEC cd510 WITH the remote, action smooth as glass.....for $8! So the garage CD player has been replaced.

abf5d8fbf6bfbc10eee9bc085633b845.jpg

Anybody knows or recognize about this speaker woofer?
I am at local GW store now and find that 4 of this r for $ 30.00.

Yesterday, I got Pioneer Compact Disc player PD-103 XR. It was pink-pricetags-half-off day. I walked out of the store paying $5.40, including tax. It cleaned up well, seems to work perfectly, except for a little crackle in the headphone volume control. Plays mfrd and computer-made CDs equally well. Mainly I wanted it for a backup CD player, and a unit for helping test receivers, etc. It is more than equal to that task.

Karma move! Yours is the earlier version with the PC36 (I think) main board and a power supply board with molex connectors for switching to low impedance loads or high impedance bridged mode for extra power. There are some decent easy mods to eliminate those extra connectors and increase the power, see Audio Amateur Magazine.

Would suggest a full recap though.

At gw today got a dual 1225 with pickering cart and needle and cover. Plugged in and seems to be working. $19. I have 3 other duals a 1219 found/saved at dump, a 1225 and a 1229 at estate sales. None of those 3 fully work so im hoping this is the one. Seems hard to find a fully working dual.

The older Duals are dumb turntables, where just about everything is mechanical; this means lots of little moving parts. Unfortunately, the lube hardens over the years, jamming up the works. Fortunately, it's all open and exposed for a lube job to bring all of the working functions back to life.

The older Duals are dumb turntables, where just about everything is mechanical; this means lots of little moving parts. Unfortunately, the lube hardens over the years, jamming up the works. Fortunately, it's all open and exposed for a lube job to bring all of the working functions back to life.

Whats the best way to go about lubing them up fresh. What kinda lube are we talking about and i imagine you have to clean out the old stuff first?

Back
Top Bottom