Knight cabs; 15" goodmans triaxials; did i do OK?

Wow... Early ones... Yes, you did VERY-good... Nice grab for sure.

Do yourself a favor and hang onto them. The old Goodmans full-rangers were the pinnacle of vintage FR design, and those cabs are probably perfect for them... Talk about deep... Plenty of displacement, so I bet those sound sweet with a good tube amp. Think British "breath of life" sound... Might be a great match for an old H/K, Fisher, Leak, Quad, etc.

One more thing..... Lucky sominabeech.

Last edited:
Are they triaxels or 3 ways?
I just scored a set of triaxiom 100c's for 72 bucks, I'm happy, they sound great, bet yours will too.

just one 15" triaxial driver in the cabinet. i actually just picked these up and have them running in the garage to loosen up the drivers. sound pretty good:yes:

here are the pictures from the ad

Attachments

• $_12 (1).JPG
    $_12 (1).JPG
    36.4 KB · Views: 106
  • $_57 (2).jpg
    $_57 (2).jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 110
  • $_57 (1).jpg
    $_57 (1).jpg
    152 KB · Views: 84
Good for you, bad for the seller that he didn't put "Goodmans" anywhere in the listing. Those would have gone for a good bit more if he had, I am sure.

Ran them for about 9 hours today. Seems like the drivers are waking up a bit. One produces a bit more volume than the other. Will give them another day to wake up and then pop the backs and check all the wiring, etc. I think there are no capacitors in the crossover -- need to confirm that.

When I picked them up the gal said her father built the speakers. I'm guessing the cabinets were a kit.

Some scuffs on the wood and stains on one of the grills (faint plant ring on the top so you can guess what happened). Shouldn't be too hard to clean them up.

Really only one place in the house where they would fit so they will have to unseat my bozak b501s to stay. Wonder how the goodmans would do on open baffles?

Check out threads for Goodmans Triaxioms; those old crossovers are problematic as the components dry up and fail.

Probably explains the volume differences.

Update them w/ the right parts and you will have some very nice sounding speakers

There may be other threads on Goodmans that cover how to work on the crossovers; I only know I have seem the issue addressed w/ regards to the Triaxioms

guess i'll find out. i assume the cap(s) are paper in oil so will need to figure out the value(s) and source new ones (probably on the bay).

the picture in that thread makes that crossover look very simple: one cap and one inductor.

i played them all day today and the speaker that had had a lower volume seems to be waking up a bit. will still need to get into the crossover.

down the road i could see tri-amping them. i already have a 3-way crossover and enough amps...

here is a pic from my garage. sounding better and better. will take the backs off tomorrow and look at those crossovers.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 60
well, the plot thickens. opened them up and the drivers are not matched. there is a goodmans 15" triaxial. the other cab has a 15" knight KN 810 A, which may be a jensen. some relevant threads:

http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/t.mpl?f=vintage&m=23302
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=24692

here are pics; 1st the seller's pics and then mine (starting at pic 12) from the garage:

http://albums.phanfare.com/isolated/OnvQD4b3/1/6696670

that explains why the 2 speakers didn't have the same volume level. though after running them for 3 1/2 days the difference pretty much disappeared.

clearly the seller only opened one of the cabs. nice suburban couple so i don't assume deceit. can't complain as, at the price i paid, i can sell the drivers and come out ahead.

next i'll open up the goodmans crossover. the KN 810 only has a potentiometer so the crossover (if any) may be inside.

would love a definitive ID on the KN 810 A and any advice re how well matched these 2 drivers are.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Knight-Spea...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

seller claims they work and sound great. will go pick them up this coming week (maybe wednesday). read a lot of good reviews of goodmans full-rangers, so will get to hear them 1st hand.

well, the plot thickens. opened them up and the drivers are not matched. there is a goodmans 15" triaxial. the other cab has a 15" knight KN 810 A, which may be a jensen. some relevant threads:

clearly the seller only opened one of the cabs. nice suburban couple so i don't assume deceit. can't complain as, at the price i paid, i can sell the drivers and come out ahead.

You are more generous than I would be; the seller has ~ 300 feedbacks, has been selling on eBay for almost 10 years, & has listed & sold audio gear on eBay before, so I would think they opened both cabinets.

Could be they opened both, photographed only the more desirable drivers and deliberately did not describe them as Goodmans to avoid a charge of a misleading ad, which I think it was.

From the auction itself:
"If your bidding you know what a find and what you may have if you win"
This seems odd language to me to put in such a listing: What you may have?

Sort of a generic disclaimer in my opinion...

If this was the seller's first/only listing or audio related listing I'd be more inclined to give the benefit of the doubt.

Having said that, I think they may still be worth at least what you paid for them; those Goodmans go for good money to overseas buyers... I would expect that single driver would sell for more than you paid ...

Yeah, that is my theory. Didn't advertise as goodmans or matched drivers. Price was fair. The other triax is a Jensen.

Back
Top Bottom