Why is it so hard to sell better gear for a fair price in BT?

Blue Shadow

Waiting for Vintage Gear from this century
Is it that folks must have a score to buy gear?

Is it that the thought of spending a few hundred or more for a very nice TT, one that is worth the money, something folks don't want to do?

Is it that these higher valued (but not expensive or high end) pieces are not worth the money even though they get these kinds of prices elsewhere?

Is it that once bought, one shows up on CL for 25% of the price paid?

I'm just curious why some of the better gear just sits there. Maybe all those that want better gear have gotten that gear and don't need what is offered. Maybe it is the desire to make sure anything that is added to a system or collection is bought at a price that will yield a profit when sold.

I just don't understand why some very fine gear just sits there. There are enough eyes on BT to be able to move these items.

Do those that desire this better gear think it is overpriced and if so based on what price comparisons? Is it that the CL steal is really the correct price for gear when the bay sells the same unit for considerably more?

Looking for all kinds of opinions on this one.

Let's be nice now as this could generate some comments.

Last edited:
Don't really know, as things I think are desirable seem to last about 15 minutes max here. I also think eBay isn't a reliable indicator for items unless several have sold recently. Sales may not ultimately complete for all sorts of reasons. Those higher prices often require the seller to jump through hoops and take a lot more risk to get access to that larger market.

I bought my KA-8300 from a member here. I'm pretty sure I could have found a better "deal" somewhere else. These factors influenced my decision. #1, sellers feedback rating. I researched the seller, found out he was well received, and knows Kenwood equipment. #2, again, based on feedback, the seller knows how to pack gear for cross county shipping. #3, communication between us was stellar. I needed a more wpc integrated amp, the one he had was spoken for, but had my current amp and we pm'ed back and forth for about a month before I actually purchased it. I feel the amp was well worth the few extra dollars. The seller pm'ed me a few months after I had it to make sure I didn't have any issues with it, and do I still like it, and I do!

Last edited:
The problem I have is no one wants to pay the shipping cost for heavier items. I no longer try to sell items over 40# at all, because it just never pans out. So the shipping means the BT market gets even smaller. I tried selling a set of Pinnacle speakers, and right off two interested parties. The price was more than fair; the shipping killed both deals. I have sold some things and based the price on what the specs say for weight plus 6-7# for packaging....then.....after I pack it my way, the weight blooms up another 5-6# and I eat the difference. Can't win :)

I also listed them in the AK open marketplace, and no calls. Once again, I imagine the shipping just scares many people off

So, it's off to CL, and I deal locally.

Even if the price is fair, if there is no buyer there is no sale.
For a low price, you'll easily find a buyer even if they don't really want the gear.
If the price is fair, only the ones that really want it will buy. Ant that is often not a big crowd.

"Better gear" is basically more expensive gear, right? A lot of that stuff is $500-5000+, and a lot of the BT folks don't have that kind of spending money. The folks with deep pockets often prefer to buy new. There's still plenty of market for higher end stuff, but that often means going on eBay or Audiogon to find the right buyer.

With that said, I have seen plenty of expensive stuff sell on BT, sometimes very quickly. However, I think the BT sweet spot is about $500 and under.

I call it flipper syndrome how much can I make on this, not everyone but lately on some items I was selling it was very obvious
Also I only see the same 20 or so people on line looking at any one time

It is all about the score on most threads here and probably reflects what you see in BT. Unless it is an unique item or something highly desired, you will probably be out of luck in BT. Small market.

The few things I've sold on BT, I've tried to price significantly lower than the auction site. I'm not a flipper, as much as I'm just having fun trying new things.

I'd like to think that regardless of price, we give preference to our fellow members... Even if that means each transaction isn't a scroe.

I fell there are many reasons why better gear but not TOTL gear sits for a while in BT.

1. Most of us all'ready have nice gear by the time we become a subscriber so it needs to be something we really want.

2. A certain percentage are cheapskates and wont purchase unless it is under priced :D

3. The cost of shipping better items at least from where I live (Alaska) is an issue some people will refuse to buy no matter how cheap because of the cost of shipping, they feel they are getting ripped off.

These are only a few reasons that better mid line gear sits there are many more, I don't think that the limited audience thing plays much of a part in it simply because if one looks at the open to all AK market place versus BT BT sells a much higher percentage of gear to far less people :yes:

Timing is everything some items I have had for sale for months or even years does not sell then a subscriber buys an item and needs a part for it or buys an amp and now wants the matching pre or tuner etc then voila it sells.

REGARDS SNOW

Supply and demand indeed, oh, and we are all a bunch of cheap asses here. :yes: Just kidding; I speak only for myself. :D

From the other side as a buyer on BT when I was still a subscriber. Purchased my Traveler on BT. The seller was not having any luck selling it for a couple months. The Traveler package was about 35 pounds and bulky. Eventually the seller paid for 2nd day shipping for me to help make the deal. I did not want it in the hands of the shippers for any longer, for a 1500 mile trip. Time=Opportunity for bad things to happen. Shipping was nearly $100 IIRC. IMO and the vast majority here, high shipping prices are the curse of Bartertown when selling nice equipment.

I often have difficulty moving higher end gear anywhere else either. I have had the least luck on CL.

I often have difficulty moving higher end gear anywhere else either. I have had the least luck on CL.

This. I've had higher-end gear sit elsewhere for 6 months or more before selling. And I've sold some pretty high-end gear here. The higher-end something is, the narrower its market niche, no matter where you post it.

Whatever it's like in Barter Town, Master Blaster say Craig's List much worse.

My brother has been in sales all of his life. He says the secret is to quote high and then come down when the customer asks. He claims people like to feel that they are getting some kind of deal, even though they aren't.

I guess it's like those furniture stores that have a going out of business sale every weekend.

Subscription fee is a market barrier. BT should be viewable by all members but post-able only by subscribers. If stuff sells faster, BT will grow as will the number of subscribers.

For me, it has to be something I want that I'd rather not fiddle with.
Since I fiddle with all things tube, it can't be a tube thing.
Other than that, I can't help you.

Subscription fee is a market barrier.

I don't really think that the subscription fee would be much of an issue. If the person can afford and is in the market for the range of items in question, the small fee would make little difference. Granted, if BT was viewable to everyone, the chance of a buyer stepping up for an impulse purchase likely increases.

I think that one factor is that many of us have been around the hobby long enough that we have become accustom to scroes. We don't have a large market looking to pay full or fair price. In my case, I already have enough nice gear. There is definitely room for improvement and when I am ready to replace one item BT will be my first stop. The hobby has been more about the hunt and the opportunity to try different items until I achieved the sound that I am happy with. Now, at this stage, if I had the room, I would be willing to pony up for the better gear to improve some weak spots. Even then, I would want it to be within auditioning distance.

Back
Top Bottom