standalone music server cd ripper?

slimecity

Hi. I am after buying a standalone music server that you can insert ur cds into and it stores them on on it's own hdd. What are the options? Im after not spending more than $1k. Great quality. Ease of use. Does such a thing exist? I dont want to Have to get a computer. Is there any option that could integrate with my oppo bdp93? Help appreciated. I have no idea where to start and want to move on from cds!

I HIGHLY reccomend getting some crappy computer, any wil do.
64 bit is better. I know you said no computers but this can work well on anything cheap.

Download and install Ubuntu Server 12.04
It can be done by cd or usb.

Once done, install something like Clementine or MediaTomb.
They'll stream any media over any network, including remote internet access.

its the best turn key standalone system anywhere.

Fair warning, Linux is known for having a steep learning curve, but only because few people know of its existance, vs windows or mac.

PLUS: all your media is safe from virus and mal/spyware. Those things RARELY prey on linux. its just in the build nature.

EDIT: - The whole thing can cost less than $10 ( thats if you buy blank cds to do the install ). Althoough for premium performance, go buy standard 64 bit tower. The newer ones come with 7.1 capible HD Audio.

Any questions ; Email me or PM. Not an expert, never will be; But I do have over a decade of working w/ linux

Last edited:
I used to have a couple old computers I used as music servers when I had my whole CD collection ripped. Cheap and readily available.

You can get quite creative and quick results, specially on the cheap.

For instance, when I decided to digitize my CDs, I actually opened a case right up and replaced all but one IDE and both SATA (then new) drives with CD ROM drives. They were splayed out on a table. I was able to rip 5 CDs at one time. It made going through 250 disks much easier and 5x quicker.

Be Forewarned: Digitizing media can be very storage consuming. Music is one thing, but video / TV is another thing. For instance, I have a single 320 GB hard drive devoted exclusively to Dr. Who.....

Before you know it, you're running headless computers (no monitors or keybards) just to be mass network storage drives.

VortexBox Appliance, from Small Green Computer.

+1 on the VortexBox suggestion
The software package is available as a free download if you don't want the to buy the ready to go hardware & software appliance. All open source code and the support is very good from the forum

Go to Vortexbox Dot Org

This looks nice. Is it the only one? There must be more, but maybe not at this price range? I have been watching this in the hifi press as asked by OP. I am NOT going to use a computer as a server.

There have been some nice looking innovations in Stereophile, Absolute Sound, What HiFi, and HiFi News (new issue says that Sony is going into digital big time). Naim, Meridian Sooloos, Olive, Sonneteer etc but at a high cost. Waiting and watching.

This looks nice. Is it the only one? There must be more, but maybe not at this price range? I have been watching this in the hifi press as asked by OP. I am NOT going to use a computer as a server.

There have been some nice looking innovations in Stereophile, Absolute Sound, What HiFi, and HiFi News (new issue says that Sony is going into digital big time). Naim, Meridian Sooloos, Olive, Sonneteer etc but at a high cost. Waiting and watching.

From what I've read, it uses the same controller software as the NAD M50 / M52 player/vault. At a much more affordable price.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_745M50/NAD-Masters-Series-M50.html?tp=7046
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_745M52/NAD-Masters-Series-M52.html?tp=254

Probably a better idea / cheaper to use a standalone NAS to contain the files, and a PC to rip them, since the guts of the BlueSound Vault will be outdated in a year or two. Then use the BlueSound Node player attached to your hi-fi.

I'm sticking with Sonos for now, as it's far more mature, with many more streaming partners, and cheaper than the BlueSound.

This NAS is cheap, works perfectly with the Sonos system, and will no doubt work well with the BlueSound devices.
http://www.amazon.com/Personal-Cloud-Storage-Share-Photos/dp/B00439GMJ2

I am NOT going to use a computer as a server.

These are options; However for anyone else reasing this forum, these devices will not leave you protected from hackers looking to harm your data. Their remote accesibilities make them vunerable to anybody who connects them to an internet source.

A linux is the only stable option which serves all the needs of a music and media server, streamer or storage device. Also much cheaper then even one of the drives you listed.

You send me the $1,000 plus shipping you'd pay for the BlueSound and I'll build you something that will NEVER be outdated until they release a quantum bit computer. Heck Even the $125 for the WD drive could be put to the same use.

Last edited:
The Bluesound Vault and other similar devices are computers, with pre-installed software over which you have only limited control. You can certainly get the same thing at a more reasonable price from Small Green Computer (as noted above) or other similar vendors. The primary difference is price and looks.

The Bluesound Vault and other similar devices are computers, with pre-installed software over which you have only limited control. You can certainly get the same thing at a more reasonable price from Small Green Computer (as noted above) or other similar vendors. The primary difference is price and looks.

Dont let the name fool you though. These computers aren't any greener. In fact they contribute to MORE waste and equal or greater than power consumption, as compared to a standard PC. These mini units often use the same power supply conversion ratios as your standard desktop. ( most public libraries have Watt meters on loan for free )

As for that advice; Take it or leave it. But I guarantee you will be garbaging one of these micro AV servers within 36 months. They become quickly outdated and their "standard connection procedures" are quickly outpaced by their assosciative technologies, such as dvd / home theater units become smarter and use more modern methods.

Finally their poor workmanship and sub grade parts often fail or overheat. If one of these devices lasts more than 36 months, buy a lottery ticket. Thats of course if your drive hasn't already been wiped by some 12 year old in singapore having internet fun.

I've been running Vortexbox for about 4 years or so, never had any issues with it. A couple of years ago, I transitioned it from a standalone unit to a virtual machine when I consolidated my VM host and NAS.

The primary difference is price and looks.

And free lifetime support, both via an 800 number with US-based reps, via a forum, and via remote access by the company techs, at least in the case of Sonos (not sure about BlueSound). Free, extremely well though out, remote control apps for smartphones, tablets, and PCs, updated automatically.

Some of us, even geeks like me, who has cross-compiled ndis drivers under CYGWIN to ARM targets, and works with complex IT systems for a living, just want something that can be taken out of the box, plugged in, and works, in 5 minutes, for our music system.

I've been down the FreeNAS route, the Open Source music player route, etc, and really have no interest in returning there. Time is money, and my time is worth far too much to futz around with this stuff these days. Lots of others are of the same mind, I'm sure.

Some of us, even geeks like me, who has cross-compiled ndis drivers under CYGWIN to ARM targets, and works with complex IT systems for a living, just want something that can be taken out of the box, plugged in, and works, in 5 minutes, for our music system.

That seems to be a rather common trend among many IT pros I know myself. They have no desire to mess with things at home, and choose the simple route for the home. For all the Windows and Linux systems they support and administer in the field, most go home to Apple computers.

It's an appliance that has a computer at its core. Just like your dishwasher and microwave oven.

My microwave has crappy imaging (and keeps burning my CDs instead of ripping them).

But I suppose I should have qualified that the music server would be closer to a PC than not (as opposed to an appliance being closer to an appliance than a PC.
Though some people consider the PC to be an appliance.
Then I'm sunk.

670px-Microwave-a-CD-Intro.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom