High Value FM Tuner

Has the value of those gone down that much.:scratch2: if so im going to get one for my collection of sherwood tuners.:smoke:

No, I don't think so. I haven't seen much change in price for the Sherwoods since I bought my first one (in the 1990s). I paid $30 for my S-3000V in good working order and fair cosmetic condition at one of the semiannual NEARC antique radio fleamarkets last year; the Shewoods are still pretty easy to find in the Northeast and sound great; dollar for dollar I don't think you can beat 'em. Most expensive one I have was an S-2000 (mono AM-FM) for which I paid $50 (plus shipping), but that was from eBAY and I did have to replace the very dim magic eye tube in that one.

Sherwood S3000 V 1 by mhardy6647, on Flickr

The S-3000V is my daily driver, BTW.

Of the easier to find tuners in that price range (not in any particular order):

- Sansui TU-717
- Sanyo Plus T55
- Nakamichi 430
- Sansui TU-S9
- Mitsubishi DA-F20
- Yamaha T-2

I'll nominate Nikko Gamma 1.

And, more essentially, fmtunerinfo.com for straight-up info.

Enjoy!

chazix

I would consider the TU-717 medium value, at best... nice looking and good performing, but expensive.

The keen eyed will note that my S-3000V is sitting on top of my TU-717 -- only one of the two is hooked up. Just sayin'...

DSC_8928 by mhardy6647, on Flickr

Got a TU 317 for $130. on the auction site but sniped it like I was waiting for last second. I was not, just fluke I checked the action and threw in a $10 increase with 30 sec to go. Love it. Big smooth tuner knob. Sounds great looks - fab!

Sherwood S-3000V... and keep $100 or more of your budget in your pocket.

Agreed. Got mine for $75 then spent $100 for a custom cherry case.

The Yamaha T-2 usually goes for 3X or 4X the Sherwood and does have some advantages but lacks that special tube warmth.

Attachments

• IMG-20140823-00302.jpg
    IMG-20140823-00302.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 32
I think that if you need high performance reception the T-2 would be a better choice; sound-wise... well, I don't know about "special tube warmth" but on a good strong signal (of good quality) the Sherwoods sound danged good.

for SS I use a Nakamichi ST-7 tuner in my bedroom system with dynaco tube amps which I can recommend as a great tuner,was actually better sounding in my opinion then my revox b-760.
For tubes my fisher FM-100-c is awesome in my main system

Third the motion for a Sherwood S3000 series or if wanting a solid state look forward a S3300. I had a S3000IV and loved it but finally sold it and eventually bought a S3300 and it replaced every other tuner including a McIntosh MR77 and the much sought after Philips 673/6731 as my permanent main system tuner. If you want AM as well there were fm/am versions as well but less common. Sherwood was an engineering company first and foremost and it reflected in their products for years.

The HH Scott 312d or the LT 112 in good order can be had within your budget. And can compete with the best FM tuners ever made, even McIntosh. A worthy buy if you can find one.

Difficult reception recommendation

I'm in a location - northwest side of a mountain and all the radios are southeast of the mountain. I'm looking for suggestions for a tuner in this same price range that performs well with difficult to receive stations.
Thanks,
Mike

I appreciate the suggestions here. I have a Sansui TU-417, it works well and sounds good but the "upgrade" and "tube" curiosities have struck me. I just saw a Sherwood S-3000III (not stereo upgraded) in excellent condition sell on the bidding site, I'm going to keep my eyes open for something of that variety.

Back
Top Bottom