Yamaha CR-1020 Sub Connection?

Yamaki

Not For Hire
Subscriber
I recently was lucky enough to acquire a Yamaha CR-1020 in almost pristine condition.

I have it set up in my 2-channel listening room, acting as a pre and tuner for that system.

Attached to it are:

1. Denon DVD5900 CD/DVD/SACD player, via RCA to the "AUX" input.

2. SimAudio Moon MiND 180 digital streamer, via RCA to the Tape 1 "Tape PB" input.

I use a SoundCast "SubCast" wireless subwoofer system to send a signal from a wireless transmitter module attached to an RCA + - to a pre, and the other end has a wireless receiver attached to an RCA + - to the subwoofer. It works pretty well...or at least it did until I boxed up the Parasound pre-amp and put it aside.

Before I hook this up to Tape 2 "Tape PB" I wanted to ask if any of you think putting it on the "Pre Out" would be a better option or it it would even work?

Thanks for any input! (oh, no pun intended... :D)

-Michael

Since tape PB is a fixed level output, This means every time you change the receivers volume you will have to adjust the volume of the sub to keep it balanced. Best to use either the preamp out, or connect to the speaker level input on the sub. You can use "B" speaker's to feed the sub to. It's high impedance has no effect on the amps performance with respect to speaker impedance recommendations.

This should work well for you if you can set the sub's LF cut off bellow where the main speakers leave off. Sometimes overlapping occurs with speakers that go too deep, Resulting in serious boom over that narrow range. This is especially apparent with ported speakers placed close to a corner, since the bass at the port frequencies is already boosted.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input!

I'll use the pre-amp out as the speaker B connections are much smaller than the RCA connectors on the SubCast cable.

Then I will adjust the LF below the main speaker low freq range.

Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom