How to remove grills (NS-1000)?

samosui

I've seen in the NS-1000/M user manual that you need to carefully grab 'behind' the grill near the top and pull out and down. And without tearing the grill cloth.

These won't budge. Any tricks? For example, protecting the wood with a short length of thin angle iron and trying to insert a thin spatula-like tool and prying off?

Following the directions, all I am able to produce is grunts, groans, and frustration.

Happy listening (with grills on),
John

I've seen in the NS-1000/M user manual that you need to carefully grab 'behind' the grill near the top and pull out and down. And without tearing the grill cloth.

These won't budge. Any tricks? For example, protecting the wood with a short length of thin angle iron and trying to insert a thin spatula-like tool and prying off?

Following the directions, all I am able to produce is grunts, groans, and frustration.

Happy listening (with grills on),
John

This is when you send them to me for a couple of months...That should give me enough time to figure how to get those grills off.

Pix please ...

They are actually too tight in my opinion. I'm in the opposite situation - I have them off and I've tried some to put them on, but they're more snug than I'd like, so I've never bothered to actually put them on for fear of not being able to get them off easily.

Mine practically fall off on my 1000m's. Never heard of them being too tight.:dunno:

Oh. . .not sure if the OP is talking about 1000's or 1000M's. I was talking about the 1000's where the grill fits into the 'channels'/grooves on the front baffle.

My NS-690 II's use pegs that fit into holes, and on those, on both pairs I have/had, they do practically fall off if you touch them with any force.

Oh. . .not sure if the OP is talking about 1000's or 1000M's. I was talking about the 1000's where the grill fits into the 'channels'/grooves on the front baffle.

My NS-690 II's use pegs that fit into holes, and on those, on both pairs I have/had, they do practically fall off if you touch them with any force.

Checked the other thread from OP. It's the 1000's (not M's) that he has.

Samosui, the AK'er that I got my 1000's from said he applied a layer of polyeurathane on the pair he sold me. Not sure what kind, but I think it was to restore some of the original shine/gloss. One of the pics from the auction showed the finish and I thought it looked a bit non-glossy. Something to think about.

I also started a thread showing the tempered glass tops I put on mine for protection. Only cost about $20.

Finally, just curious, how did you arrange shipping for the pair you got? Must have been nerve-wracking waiting to see if they arrived safely!

To remove the grill, I use a right angle pick. Insert the pick in the small gap at one of the corners, rotate the pick to catch the back surface of the grill, then firmly pull straight out.

http://www.amazon.com/Wilde-Tool-SH...d=1426098103&sr=8-2&keywords=right+angle+pick

On Captouch's pair, I used Minwax satin wipe on Polyurethane. I've done this on two pairs and they came out very nice and seems to be durable. Just follow the instructions on the can.

http://www.amazon.com/Wilde-Tool-SH...d=1426098103&sr=8-2&keywords=right+angle+pick

To remove the grill, I use a right angle pick. Insert the pick in the small gap at one of the corners, rotate the pick to catch the back surface of the grill, then firmly pull straight out.

On Captouch's pair, I used Minwax satin wipe on Polyurethane. I've done this on two pairs and they came out very nice and seems to be durable. Just follow the instructions on the can.

thanhdang63, thanks for the tips. I think I'll order those pics tonight or tomorrow (unless someone chimes in with another idea). I may also do the Polyurethane thing but will have to repair a couple of deep scratches (visible in the auction pics) first. No real rush as they look pretty decent as they are. Some light scratches on the tops but not too bad. I'm just happy they arrived safely.

Cheers,
John

Checked the other thread from OP. It's the 1000's (not M's) that he has.

Samosui, the AK'er that I got my 1000's from said he applied a layer of polyeurathane on the pair he sold me. Not sure what kind, but I think it was to restore some of the original shine/gloss. One of the pics from the auction showed the finish and I thought it looked a bit non-glossy. Something to think about.

I also started a thread showing the tempered glass tops I put on mine for protection. Only cost about $20.

Finally, just curious, how did you arrange shipping for the pair you got? Must have been nerve-wracking waiting to see if they arrived safely!

Although the the seller stated in his ad that he preferred local pick up, he also memtioned that he'd paletize or box the speakers and stands. So after some discussion over the phone, I asked him to find some styrofoam corners to protect the bottom corners and take them to a local FedEx location that I had found. And after calling his local FedEx location to get rates and box sizes.

I felt that each speaker would stand a better chance of arriving intact if they were well padded and placed in a large box than via freight and strapped to a pallet. I was afraid that if the speakers mounted on a pallet had experienced some shock that they may have arrived without apparent damage but with magnets knocked out of place (read about that some time ago here on AK). That would have left me with few choices other than eat the purchase or accuse the seller of selling speakers that were not working properly. And I would not have done that to him.

So, yes, I was quite concerned until they arrived last night and until I plugged them in and heard them play :yes:

Cheers,
John

John,
No need to order the picks. Just pick up a set usually on sale at your local Harbour Freight Tools for a couple of bucks (Item 66836).

tanhdang63, thanks so much for offering advice. It is amazing how easy some tasks are when you use the correct tools. It was a piece of cake using the tool and method you suggested and was effortless.

Following the instructions given in the original Yamaha owners manual may work for some but it surely didn't work for me. And the grilles weren't on that tight either.

Cheers,
John

tanhdang63, thanks so much for offering advice. It is amazing how easy some tasks are when you use the correct tools. It was a piece of cake using the tool and method you suggested and was effortless.

Following the instructions given in the original Yamaha owners manual may work for some but it surely didn't work for me. And the grilles weren't on that tight either.

Cheers,
John

Glad you did it John. R we gonna get some pix now?

Glad you did it John. R we gonna get some pix now?

They're currently in my home office/toy room. It was a real @&#$! getting one of the speakers onto the hanger/stand by myself since you have to line up two thin and narrow metal tabs (that are part of a bracket screwed into the back of the speaker) with their respective narrow slots that are on the supporting horizontal structure of the stands. And all while squatting and holding up the 86 pound speaker from the front and blindly trying align and hang. Pure stupidity I admit it. So I got some help for the second one. I've included some pictures of the stands from the internet.

Cheers,
John

Attachments

• IMG_0826.JPG
    IMG_0826.JPG
    105.5 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0831.JPG
    IMG_0831.JPG
    117.1 KB · Views: 39
  • Stands1.jpg
    Stands1.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 36
  • Stands4.jpg
    Stands4.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 34
question about posting pics

On a side note, how does one attach photos so that they are in the body of the post as opposed to thumbnails at the bottom that you have to click on to expand?

Back
Top Bottom