Jim McShane

jgradio

I've been working with a parts kit, purchased from Jim McShane, that I'm using to rebuild my Scott LK72b. This is probably old news to many, but his rebuild kits are excellent. Very good quality parts, very fair prices, very complete, and Jim is extremely knowledgeable and helpful... a combination that is nice to find. He separates the parts by amp stage, which is a nice touch. He seems to be largely known for his expertise with Citation equipment, but he's a good resource for other tube equipment as well if you're trying to find good parts, tubes, or a full restoration. I highly recommend this guy. You can find his website at mcshanedesign.net

He put together a top notch rebuild kit for my McIntosh MC60's. Couldn't be happier.
And for over a year I've been running some output tubes I got from him. Good stuff.

I've used a rebuild kit from Jim for my Fisher 800B and also for my little Magnavox 196 - the parts for that little amp were also top notch, he included parts for a few modifications that he recommended - that little amp is first class now.

Can't recommend Jim highly enough. :yes:

I find his kits thorough as well, but I really wish he would provide, or work with someone to provide instructional videos (for an additional price of course) to accompany the kits.

I think that would really open the doors for a lot more people to give it a shot, and maintain consistency in units rebuilt with his kits.

I got in touch with him a few months back needing a quiet 12AU7 as the preamp I was using had gotten noisy (hiss on both channels regardless of the volume setting). Before Jim sold me the tube needed he worked with me to make sure that was the problem. I also have a quad of KT120s with several hundred hours on them that he provided me with years ago. Jim is a stand up guy and gets my business every time.

Jim has made my MC240, Grommes 20LJ, and Sansui 1000A projects so much easier. As a long time fix it guy and dabbler in tube audio over the years, I really needed someone to just put the parts and tubes together to allow me to just concentrate on learning the circuits and gaining skills in soldering and testing. With that said I may have worn out my welcome a bit. Hopefully not.

Anyway, I have completed none of the projects all the way but not due to Jim's kits at all. The MC240 is recapped and re-tubed and running well. Next step for it is the resistors and final electrical testing and fine tuning. When thats done and it is in peak running condition I will completely disassemble it, repaint the transformers and get the chassis restored. Its a long term piece for me. The MX110 is after that. I am not running any of the units without a power supply rebuild.

The Sansui 1000A is a friends and it was huge bite to swallow and I have yet to convince my buddy to buy new tubes and the rest of the kits Jim has for the power supply, bias, and key resistors so it sits and I won't return it :)

The Grommes was recapped and then needed new output transformers. Jim suggested a source and though I am sure the quality would be outstanding, the $360 USD to get the stock iron rewound was just out the ballpark for me with that unit at this time. I put in Transcendar output transformers and it runs but is going to be completely rebuilt now with new pots, tube sockets, and hook up wire. It is a perfect unit to learn on. Jim was very generous in putting a kit together for it from a schematic I provided. This unit will also be part of my collection, my office unit driving some klipsch heresy II's.

The other units I have on deck are a Bogen AP35, another integrated like the Grommes and a Bogen Challenger CHB50, a 2 x 6l6 mono PA Amp I am going to convert to guitar amp at some point. I need to study a lot more circuits first.

I am now six months into this after finding the MC240 and MX110 locally on CL and its largely due to Jim and the folks on this site providing advice and support. Jim is the easiest person to do business with I have ever met in any capacity.

I have used Jim for every upgrade known to man on my Citation, and also got a rebuild kit from him for my Fisher 400 CX-2.
HE IS A CLASS ACT.
The Fisher Service Manual had a huge error in it, with a wrong value 3 watt resitor.
He patiently helped me track it down, until I was up and running.
Can't say enough good things about him.

HE IS A CLASS ACT...
Can't say enough good things about him.

+1. Have had a number of interactions with Jim as I worked to sort out issues with my Citation II. He was not only helpful but incredibly willing to share his passion and expertise. Highly recommend. :thmbsp:

I had one good experience buying his deuce kit. (highly recommend)
I had one pretty darn bad experience trying to buy tubes from him.

That leaves me sittin on the fence for now. :)

Back
Top Bottom