Why did these JBL 2440 Compression Drivers go for such a high price ($1125)?

You might wanna check the rules regarding posting ebay links and questions of value.

You're in the wrong forum.

You might wanna check the rules regarding posting ebay links and questions of value.

You're in the wrong forum.

Ah.."Dollars and Cents"?

Posted there now.

Maybe a mod might change it, or close this one.

While youre posting, you got any idea? >> In D&C...

Last edited:
Probably because the original aluminum diaphragms are present. I'm not a JBL expert. But, i can tell you that the original aluminum 'phragmed 2440/2441 are the only large format JBL compression drivers i can stand to listen to for any length of time. They in fact, sound very good if working properly.

Probably because the original aluminum diaphragms are present. I'm not a JBL expert. But, i can tell you that the original aluminum 'phragmed 2440/2441 are the only large format JBL compression drivers i can stand to listen to for any length of time. They in fact, sound very good if working properly.

Maybe, however the ones on ebay at $275 are aluminium as well, so not too sure about that. I find my 2441's a tad harsh, ridiculously powerful and loud also. A warmer amp would probably however fix that to a certain extent.

A few things can make your 2441s sound harsh. CD horns with diffraction slots can sound harsh. Running the large format driver too high will sound harsh because of the inevitable diaphragm breakup, which starts about 8kHz or so for aluminum, higher for beryllium, maybe 11kHz. Last is worn out diaphragms; the aluminum diaphragms don't age well in pro sound applications, so often used ones need replacing. Titanium ages better, but that simply means it starts out sounding bad and keeps right on cruising.

Another factor, when you get into the more desirable/collectible components like these good pairs usually sell for more than twice the sum of singles. Us po' folk have learned to hunt this stuff down as single units and sell as pairs for the best value/profit margin at resale time.

; the aluminum diaphragms don't age well in pro sound applications,
Fact. :yes: Aluminum "work hardens" and over time with hard use the surround becomes less compliant and raises Fs, and causes other audible anomalies.

A few things can make your 2441s sound harsh. CD horns with diffraction slots can sound harsh. Running the large format driver too high will sound harsh because of the inevitable diaphragm breakup, which starts about 8kHz or so for aluminum, higher for beryllium, maybe 11kHz. Last is worn out diaphragms; the aluminum diaphragms don't age well in pro sound applications, so often used ones need replacing. Titanium ages better, but that simply means it starts out sounding bad and keeps right on cruising.

Right..thats interesting. Ive got the 2441's on the top hooked into the crossover from the cab below, I'm guessing that would be somewhere around 8kHz. Having the Hartsfield type lens would increase the harshness youre saying?

coao.jpg

Another factor, when you get into the more desirable/collectible components like these good pairs usually sell for more than twice the sum of singles. Us po' folk have learned to hunt this stuff down as single units and sell as pairs for the best value/profit margin at resale time.

Also interesting, wouldnt have thought it would have worked like that, well not to that extent as shown on the sale I was questioning; was a fair increase.

Right..thats interesting. Ive got the 2441's on the top hooked into the crossover from the cab below, I'm guessing that would be somewhere around 8kHz. Having the Hartsfield type lens would increase the harshness youre saying?

coao.jpg

I doubt the lens, or the exponential horn behind it is the culprit. If you're running the 2441s over 8kHz, that's probably the problem. Generally one uses a small format (1" exit) driver over a couple kHz for hi-fi.

Also interesting, wouldnt have thought it would have worked like that, well not to that extent as shown on the sale I was questioning; was a fair increase.
It's not necessarily a hard and fast rule, but i think it's accurate more times than not.

Consider that typically most buyers are usually stocking for a project, and like myself once they've made the commitment to proceed are willing to spend a bit more money to get a "pair" in hand rather than trying to save a few bucks buying singles at the cost of possibly delaying the completion of said project. We are a "want it now" society.

It's not necessarily a hard and fast rule, but i think it's accurate more times than not.

Consider that typically most buyers are usually stocking for a project, and like myself once they've made the commitment to proceed are willing to spend a bit more money to get a "pair" in hand rather than trying to save a few bucks buying singles at the cost of possibly delaying the completion of said project. We are a "want it now" society.

This is true. From what I can see, the (several) 2440's on ebay for $275 seem to be the same as the 2 that sold for $1125. Does that seem a little strange, or have I missed something in the detail? Thanks again for input.

Old man fate always gets a hand in ebay sales. Sometimes i think we have to chalk up some of what we see to coincidence or planetary alignment.

In the case of that $1125 pair, it could have just been a matter of two(or more) motivated bidders with the means to compete hard, vying for the same pair of drivers.

OTOH, i think a clean pair of good working 2440/2441 should fetch something beginning in the 600-700 range with the sky being the limit for exceptional examples. But, that's just my .02...................

Does that seem a little strange, or have I missed something in the detail?
I missed something, the location.

Mount Tremper is just west of Woodstock, NY, just over the mountains from the town of Bethel and site of the '69 music festival. There are several large private studios, and residential studios belonging to stars from all genres of music spread all over here in the catskills, but that area has a more dense concentration of them. It's possible that the bidders might know something about the origin of these drivers that we don't, perhaps a history/pedigree that enhances their value.

Check out Kate's Lazy Meadow(Kate Pierson from the B-52's): http://www.lazymeadow.com/

I missed something, the location.

Mount Tremper is just west of Woodstock, NY, just over the mountains from the town of Bethel and site of the '69 music festival. There are several large private studios, and residential studios belonging to stars from all genres of music spread all over here in the catskills, but that area has a more dense concentration of them. It's possible that the bidders might know something about the origin of these drivers that we don't, perhaps a history/pedigree that enhances their value.

Check out Kate's Lazy Meadow(Kate Pierson from the B-52's): http://www.lazymeadow.com/

The plot thickens :scratch2:

Interesting love shack she's got there.

JBL 2440s w/Auminum VC's. Interesting..

These came with Aluminum VCs, I always thought they were phenolic from the get-go.
I've enjoyed mine using both materials and lean toward the Aluminum. Seems they simply sound a little tighter than the resin VCs.
Other than weighing 23 lbs. per CD and a damn pain to deal with, I've yet to hear anything (properly applied) that sounds better (for the investment.)
IMO, most of the difference has to do with todays front-end equipment compared with the stuff built back when the 2440s first came to the marketplace (Dynaco, etc., etc..)
But if it's any consolation, I keep a pair of phenolic VCs handy for the sake of argument.
I'd like to hear the titanium VCs one day.. and if someone has a pair they want to loan out, let me know. I'm ready to give em' a spin.

Ps. I'd bet most anyone would be hard pressed to tell them apart. pc

Sometimes a bidder will put in a really high proxy bid at the last minute to win the item no matter what. (with no intention to really pay that amount). If you happen to get two people that do that, the final price can be really high.

Since eBay has such lax payment enforcement, there's relatively little risk to the buyer to back out when this happens.

I agree 100 percent to spending whatever it takes when you see what you want and need for that next project.
I'm listening to some jbl 's I built a few years back.
They are set up with a fisher 500c in a new listening room, my son moved out.
They really have a sound stage, I haven't heard before.
So off to the Bay for the next speaker project, crossovers and mid range driver's.

No wonder reading through this thread, prices seemed very low, 2013-2015. Try and find Clean matching 2440's/375's with the Good smooth surround aluminum diafraghms for $700.
Yes a 375/2440, 376/2441 can be harsh and shouty, If unhardened and not played in a PA atmosphere, they will just play what you put into them. and really expose any Poor front end components . That includes, Out of Spec SS amps and Receivers, cheap CD players, cheap tuners, worn out cartridges. totally Not forgiving.
Given proper Xovers, cut them off at 7K and not too many drivers made can beat their quality and ease of reproducing mids 500-7K. Possibly a nice pair of 288's

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom