Do you accept check payment on ebay?

NJguy

I received a message from a ebay buyer wanting to pay via check. He states that i can ship only after the check clears and his rating seems to be pretty good with hundreds of reviews.

Just want to make sure from more experienced sellers. Thanks.

I haven't sold on ebay in a long time, so take my comments in that light.

Sellers with lots of good feedback as sellers are probably Ok. Feedback as buyers doesn't mean much these days because sellers can't leave negatives. Also, accounts get highjacked. You may not be dealing with the ebayer who racked up the feedback.

If he really can't do PayPal, insist on a USPS money order.

Run away.

If he can write a check, he can mosey on down to his post office and purchase a money order.

Because a check (cheque) could clear at your bank and you think it's all OK. Then it bounces when it gets to his bank two weeks later - turns out to be counterfeit!

It's most likely a scam. EVERY SINGLE PERSON using eBay is savvy enough not to need to pay with a check.

As others have mentioned, US Postal money order can be cashed at any post office. Doesn't matter what state it was purchased in. That is the only way to fly, IMO.

OP, it's your choice whether to accept both the check, and the risk of it not being good. You could insist on a money order from USPS.

Since I fired my ISP, I'm using a browser access from my phone. It's not a smart phone. In fact, this phone compared to Jethro Bodine, would to make the latter look like a Rhodes Scholar.

ebay mobile is no longer supported on this browser, along with some other websites. PITA, but I deal with it.

I have had dealings with AK'ers through Barter town, and give them the option of personal check, or USPS money order. Paypal isn't an option for me. For some that may not be ok for them, and that's ok by me. Others are fine with either PC or MO. Personally, I don't mind if they want to delay shipping until either the MO gets cashed, or my PC clears the bank. I know the check's good, and they will also find that true.

You may be dealing with an upstanding, honorable citizen, or you may be dealing with utter bottom dwelling gutter garbage.
I'm not suggesting you should accept a personal check from someone whom you've no previous dealings. If you suggest them sending a USPS money order, along with delaying shipping UNTIL it is verified and cashed, and meet with no teeth-gnashing, woe-is-me...you-don't-trust-me B.S. sob story....it just might be a true-blue John Q. Public.

Ultimately, it's up to you, and do what's in your best interest. If you're not comfortable accepting personal checks, or money orders, then let them know and don't lose any sleep over your decision.

For transparency's sake: I have no affiliation with this sale. Just offering a different perspective.

You can pay with any method you want on eBay. People assume that since Paypal is used so much that it is the only way to go but that isn't true. They push Paypal because they make money on it. They don't make money on checks. I would take a check myself. Just wait until it clears. There should be no problem.

You can pay with any method you want on eBay. People assume that since Paypal is used so much that it is the only way to go but that isn't true. They push Paypal because they make money on it. They don't make money on checks. I would take a check myself. Just wait until it clears. There should be no problem.

Not true. The seller decides which form of payment is accepted. People like Paypal because it's instant (usually) and it makes the printing of shipping labels very easy.

I'd be fine with taking a check. As long as it's for the right amount, and not mysteriously over by $1200, you're probably fine, and you can always wait until it clears.

As long as the cheque clears in your bank before you post the goods,you'll be fine. Also,you'll save on fees and there will be no possibility of comebacks :thmbsp:

Last edited:
As long as the cheque clears in your bank before you post the goods,you'll be fine.

This is not correct. Read response #6. US law (I recognize that laws differ in the UK) requires that checks clear the depositor's bank in a certain number or days (3, I think). They don't, however, say that the funds need to be taken from the check writer's account in that amount of time, which can take much longer. If it bounced, you'd then be out the money, the item, the shipping charges, and bounced check fees.

This is not correct. Read response #6. US law (I recognize that laws differ in the UK) requires that checks clear the depositor's bank in a certain number or days (3, I think). They don't, however, say that the funds need to be taken from the check writer's account in that amount of time, which can take much longer. If it bounced, you'd then be out the money, the item, the shipping charges, and bounced check fees.

Well,if a cheque is paid into your bank account and has cleared,e.g.,it shows up on your bank balance (this can take 3-7 working days depending on bank) then it's cleared and there's no comeback. That's the way it always works over here.
Not so long ago on Ebay,cheques were a very common payment method. Apologies if my info is incorrect for the U.S.

Back
Top Bottom