never seen heresy like this

Saw those this morning. Definitely not a factory design, or at least not one I've ever seen.

I'd like to know if/how he modified a Heresy cabinet or if he built his own cabinet and called it a Heresy.

Looks to me like an original Heresy with a custom made front baffle. The woofer appears to be in the original location with, naturally, the tweeter and mid-range drivers mounted to the top of the baffle outside of the cabinet. I can't for the life of me figure out how that would improve the sound? Maybe it was originally built to be soffit mounted in some fashion?

It was likely done to improve the bass response of the Heresy by enlarging the woofer compartment. The question, of course, being did it work?

I thought of that as well. I know some have toyed with venting the cabinet but I don't recall what the results were.

It also lifts the mid and high to ear level when seating, perhaps there is a benefit in that.

I agree that it may have been done to get the tweeter and mid closer to ear level. I like the sound of them on stands but I have found that they have better bass when they stay on the floor. Perhaps this is an attempt to get the best of both. I also agree that it should help bass by increasing the volume. Very interesting.

Last edited:
I agree that it may have been done to get the tweeter and mid closer to ear level. I like the sound of them on stands but I have found that they have better bass when they stay on the floor. Perhaps this is an attempt to get the best of both. I also agree that it should help bass by increasing the volume. Very interesting.

This makes perfect sense to me.

It looks like a Heresy and a Dahlquist mated. Raising the mid and tweeter up is a good thing. Interesting thing to do, would like to know the history of it, basically why?

Yeah, I think it's a little bit of this, a little bit of that. It frees up a tiny bit more volume for the woofers, it raises the mids and highs some, and it makes them look a bit more fancy. It probably helps them a little bit in every dept, but won't be any sort of magic bullet for Klipsch's weak link.

Looks to me like an original Heresy with a custom made front baffle. The woofer appears to be in the original location with, naturally, the tweeter and mid-range drivers mounted to the top of the baffle outside of the cabinet. I can't for the life of me figure out how that would improve the sound? Maybe it was originally built to be soffit mounted in some fashion?

In his extra pictures, he shows the interior. It looks like the baffle holding the woofer does not have a cutout for the midrange nor the tweeter, so he might have done a new full baffle, or reinforced the interior one, closing up the holes.

I can see the advantage to this design in general, getting the directional drivers pointed at the ears; Klipsch sold the slant risers as another way to re-aim them, while keeping the woofer on the floor.

I'm near the seller and sent a message yesterday about the mods and if he had any internal pics of the woofer cabinet. I also asked if he noticed any improvements. Of course, i didn't get a reply. From the pics, it looks well done. I think they'll fetch more than a stock pair.

Just checked my messages. The seller replied. He added more pics. He said he did not have any other info or know anything else about the speakers. Sooooo, maybe he's a flipper and a non-audio guy, or maybe he just randomly acquired them and can't appreciate them for what they are.

Looks like the auction is getting too rich for my blood (for heresy's anyways). Just let a pair slide by for $350...but it would've been a 3hr ride to get em.

One baffle has a crack from bottom of woofer to bottom. Mentioned in ad as 'a two-inch crack that doesn't affect sound.' Was this note in ad from beginning?

The crack wasn't mentioned in the original ad. I wonder if it's a superficial/surface crack or if it's cracked all the way through. Wouldn't be too much work for someone with a bit of woodworking skills to fix. All in all, i like how they look. I'm sure whoever gets them will probably do some kind of work to em (crites crossovers, horn tweeks, etc).

Back
Top Bottom