Altec Flamenco 848A

Very, very pretty set of Altecs.

Isn't $1500 somewhat pricey and encroaching on Model 19 territory though?

Very, very pretty set of Altecs.

Isn't $1500 somewhat pricey and encroaching on Model 19 territory though?
Condition is everything, and these are near the top in that respect.

Considering that a pair of Nineteens in similar pristine condition brought over 2500 on ebay back in august, this price is not out of line, IMNSHO.

But good-gosh-almighty they are gaudy! Looks like they were pulled from an old bordello in New Orleans!

Someone should be inclined. :smoke:
California Central Valley is a hard sell.

The Khorns I bought were listed on the local CL for $1800, and the lady only got one call from L.A.. I bought them after they sat there a week and a half for $1000.

The listing says he's the second owner, and will trade for high-end audio equipment. That, and the fact that the photo of them is on a sidewalk or driveway and not in a room, I'd bet he just bought them from the original owner and is flipping them. I could be wrong, but it looks that way to me.

But good-gosh-almighty they are gaudy! Looks like they were pulled from an old bordello in New Orleans!

Boy, this sure sounds familiar. My wife hasn't allowed mine in the living room since we moved into our second house in 1987. Fortunately, I've always maintained a music/media room where they rule.

As for the speakers, they do sound incredible. (The Model 19's were based on these components.) That $1,800. price tag really isn't that unreasonable. On eBay, they do often top that, if in mint condition. Maybe it's a stretch for a local Craigslist. I purchased mine in '77 from the original owner for $500. He bought them new in '68. They were (and still are) mint and came with all manuals as well as period Altec catalogs. These appear to be later in the run, probably '70-'72, due to the location of the Altec badge on the grille and the "Iconic" label on the rear.

If I were in the market for a set today, I would be extremely happy if I picked up a nice set in the $1200 range.

Last edited:
I have over $1000 in my home built pair. If you are lucky enough to find a nice original set for $1200, the cabinets are basically free!:yes:

Not a bad price. I've seen them go for much more.
This particular pair appeared to be in beautiful shape. I'm sure the new owner is delighted about his score.

Back
Top Bottom