Building speakers from KLH Model 6 Crossovers

drayguy

Hi all!

I'm new here. I'm writing because I recently acquired a pair of vintage KLH Model 6 crossovers in which appears to be pristine condition. I'm wondering if it is worth attempting to salvage them and build a pair of functional speakers using them if they are in good working condition. I am not sure as how to test said crossovers, but I would imagine that someone here could enlighten me. I am a relative novice as far as speaker building is concerned, I have only constructed a pair of studio monitors for my own personal use. Thanks for the help. :banana:

Honestly I wouldn't bother unless you had need to replace a bad xover in another six. The magic of the KLH6 is not in the x-overs. And they are designed specifically for the combination of drivers in the cabinet. If you do use them at all you'll want to replace the electrolytic capacitors. IIRC, I think there's two per side.

Testing them is easy enough, just hook them up. I guess if I had them and wanted to use them I would replicate the six to what degree possible..

Honestly I wouldn't bother unless you had need to replace a bad xover in another six. The magic of the KLH6 is not in the x-overs. And they are designed specifically for the combination of drivers in the cabinet. If you do use them at all you'll want to replace the electrolytic capacitors. IIRC, I think there's two per side.

Testing them is easy enough, just hook them up. I guess if I had them and wanted to use them I would replicate the six to what degree possible..
Thanks. Would it be worth rebuilding them if could come across the OG drivers from the sixes on eBay? I see a couple listed right now.

Thanks. Would it be worth rebuilding them if could come across the OG drivers from the sixes on eBay? I see a couple listed right now.

If you want to build cabs then go for it. The crossover will need the caps replaced. They are notorious for going out of spec, and were cheap to begin with. Otherwise, I wouldn't waste my time, and just get a pair of Six's in tact.

Glenn

Ambitious :)
IMO a bit too much like finding a 55 Chevy trans then deciding to 'recreate' the car.

Ambitious :)
IMO a bit too much like finding a 55 Chevy trans then deciding to 'recreate' the car.

I had a fellow lawyer find Packard hood ornament at a flea market and used it to justify finding all the other parts to build a Packard.

Back
Top Bottom