Vintage Receiver/Int Amp Recommendation HK/Marantz

PR Audio

Since I like the sound signature of Marantz and HK, plus I already own a Marantz 1060 Int Amp, and an HK 330B Receiver, plus a McIntosh MX-113 Pre that I use with a CJ MV75A Tube Amp. What Marantz, HK, or brand/model with similar sound signature ("warm" or "warm to neutral") receiver or Integrated Amp do you guys recommend?

Notes:

1. It has to be easily found on EBay, Audiogon, or other similar classifieds.

2. Budget is no more than $225.00 without shipping.

3. Vintage look, preferable with wood enclosure.

Please, don't recommend unobtainable or above the suggested budget.

Thanks!

Vintage Receiver - Which Ones?

I asked this on the Solid State forum, but after a couple of days with many views and no answers maybe I'll have better luck here...

With a $200.00 budget I'm looking for a vintage receiver, preferably wood case, for my brother's law office; it will be a gift.

Personally I own an HK 330B, a Marantz 1060, and a tube amp using a Mc MX113 as pre. I enjoy very much the sound signature of all. My father always had Onkyo, Pio, and Yamaha, which never impressed me much. I like the warmer sound of HK, Marantz, and the likes.

An opportunity to buy a Pio SX-850 came along, but from what others AKers have mentioned I am not convinced.

Can you guys recommend a vintage receiver or integrated, preferably receiver, within my budget that has warm or "tubey" soynd? Preferably 30+ WPC and not one of the ones I already have.

Please, no unobtanium. Easily found is my preference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a Sherwood 7100 from the early 70s. It's within your budget, and has a nice warm sound. They also made a 7100a and a 7200. They don't have wood cases, but they are nice.

I just picked up a Pioneer SX-1000tw with a beautiful wood case from 1970 ish.
This was Pioneer's first solid state rig and a damn fine one at that with an honest 50 wpc and very decent specs all the way around.

pioneer-sx-1000TA.jpg

You can probably find them for a bargain, I certainly did. The only issue is the speaker connector plugs. They have those funky modular plugs that convert slot connectors to spade connectors. Luckily my model came with all of them intact and in fine shape.

Other than that you are bound to get dozens of different opinions. This is just one offering.

Good luck.

I was trying to edit my last post, but the computer started freezing on me.

The Sherwood 7100 is known to have a nice warm sound, but it may not meet your wattage requirements. I believe it only has 17wpc. Nice receiver though.

I can consider lower watts if it fits what I'm looking for. As for Pio, I am not convinced they have the sound I'm looking for.

You're looking for early 70s solid state gear, capacitor couple amp system.

Getting something in wood at $200 will be tricky.

The early Pioneers like the SX-1000 (there are a couple versions TW and TD?), the SX-6000, SX-9000, SX-1500TD. All are sort of rare to find. All but the SX-9000 can be bastards to fix. The SX-9000 is fantastic, but is full of problem child transistors and if they are acting up, a restore is a lot of work (they have a LOT of parts inside).

The Pioneer SX-x2x and SX-x3x series are great too.

The early Fisher solid state seem to be getting popular (guessing be the prices I see on ebay). I have a 550T and it sounds wonderful. It may be better than Marantz.

Marantz is good, finding one cheap is tricky.

The Harman Kardon 330 series you mention and the Twin Power ones like the 430 and 730.

The Pioneer SX-850 is a very good unit but it tends to be more neutral in sound.

Subscribe to this place for $25/yr and then you can shop in Bartertown. There are some great deals there.

Last edited:
x2 on the Harman kardon 630/930 twin OPT recievers.Only solid state ive kept
lots of jam to these recievers once they have been recapped and brought up to spec.
Will actually drive 4 ohm speakers,great to look at especially at night lit up and clean,detailed smooth sound.

hunter

I asked this on the Solid State forum, but after a couple of days with many views and no answers maybe I'll have better luck here...

With a $200.00 budget I'm looking for a vintage receiver, preferably wood case, for my brother's law office; it will be a gift.

Personally I own an HK 330B, a Marantz 1060, and a tube amp using a Mc MX113 as pre. I enjoy very much the sound signature of all. My father always had Onkyo, Pio, and Yamaha, which never impressed me much. I like the warmer sound of HK, Marantz, and the likes.

An opportunity to buy a Pio SX-850 came along, but from what others AKers have mentioned I am not convinced.

Can you guys recommend a vintage receiver or integrated, preferably receiver, within my budget that has warm or "tubey" soynd? Preferably 30+ WPC and not one of the ones I already have.

Please, no unobtanium. Easily found is my preference.

Please read the forum rules and guidelines. The first sentence reads:
"This forum is for discussion of leading edge vintage gear, regardless of cost."​

Also, if you have already started a thread on this topic in the SS forum, then please also read the AK rules before posting. Specific Rule #4 states:
"Post in the one best forum for your topic; one thread per topic, no duplicates."​

This thread will be either deleted or merged with the one in the SS forum.

Guys, don't get upset or discuss about the rules, they are there for a reason; just some of us have ADD and don't read much of that. Many times I don't agree with them, but we are not here to discuss that, the moderators are just doing their job. So, back to the topic...

BLHAGSTROM, thanks for taking time to post your recommendations. There are so many Marantz that they can be found at a good price, but HK 430 keeps being suggested by others, so I might try to find one at the correct price. As for wood case, I can build one, so if I cannot find a unit with the wood case it will not be a deal breaker. At the end, since the PIO SX-850 would be a local buy below the stated budget, I might be tempted to get it, worst can happen is that I don't like it's sound and sell it. Let's see, but do appreciate everyone's advice. To recap, my top alternatives are:

+ HK 430/630/730/930
+ Marantz 2230
+ Sherwood 7100 or 7100A
+ Pio SX-850
+ Fisher SS, though would love a 500C

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom