Mono feature on stereo

Worthy_Wax

Simple question. Does the mono feature on my receivery take away from the quality of the music at all?

It loses the stereo aspect. Depends if you consider that a quality or not. As mentioned, usually it just mixes the two channels together. If its the FM mono / FM stereo selector you're talking about, you may notice less high frequency sound in mono.

Interesting question. In my experience, playing stereo recordings w/ mono switch on = definite loss of sound quality, not only of the stereo separation... it also creates a dull and less present sound. I'm not completely sure how this happens BUT I assume it has to do with the stereo mix not being easily put back together by simply summing L and R.
In playing Mono records with the mono switch OFF... I'm less sure there is a noticeable difference.

Wait....was the question does having the mono function take away SQ, or was it Does using mono take away SQ? In case of the latter, yes. Ruins the intended mix.

I'm having a custom AR XB made for mono. I bought an AT mono cartridge for this purpose. Do I still need to switch my amp to mono, is it necessary?

I'm having a custom AR XB made for mono. I bought an AT mono cartridge for this purpose. Do I still need to switch my amp to mono, is it necessary?

The mono cart will sum channels for you, so you shouldn't have to. Though if it's a dedicated mono setup, you'll probably only play mono LP's on it, right?

I'm genuinely curious: Is there an advantage to having a mono table? If the Mono cart sums to mono, would it matter?

Also you intend to play this through a mono amp and one speaker?

Back
Top Bottom