Altec Lansing 14's Worth a grand?

Dave Bowman

It's a way of life!
I have always wanted these speakers, and have found them locally.
He wants a grand for them, To much? are they worth that kind of cash?

Am I crazy for even thinking about it (It's a lot of bread)

Any advice would be great!

Thanks all!

Dave

What would be the going price?

Dave
If in very good condition, original working drivers, and intact grills, and local : $450-700. I love mine. Give them an audition, perhaps you'll find the price fair to you. Good luck. John

A grand is way to much... They would have to be real nice to give up 7 beans. I also have a pair, very respectable speakers but for that kind of money I would shop around...

I passed on a local pair of M14's last year for $300, for no other reason, than I already have 4-5 pairs of speakers that are to big for my apartment! :tears:
So 1K is way too much for M14, if you ask me.

If I had a grand to spend on Altecs I would be looking for some M19's. Ebay completed auctions are a good indicator of the current market value. You need an account to do the search, but it is free and quick to make one if you don't already have one.

Personally, i couldn't say they're NOT worth 1k without a serious and complete evaluation of them.

I will concede out front that a 1k pr of 14's needs to be with few or no peers, with a known/proven history since new, and essentially flawless in all ways.

In terms of sound quality/performance model 14 is 2nd only to the model 19 where golden era Altecs for the home are concerned.

Within the last 6 months i've seen more than one pair of model 14/9842 monitors in fair to poor condition parted out on ebay for a total sale price of over 800.

What do y'all think a top condition pair of 19's is worth?

Does the consensus here feel that model 14's in the same condition are NOT worth 2/3 the value of model 19's?

I have to try to quote Mr Brennan again, "fellas here toss nickels around like they're manhole covers".

Just my .02........................

One could get a nice pair of 846A Valencias for a thousand smackoleums. That's what I would do if I had that many manhole covers (which would be 20,000 manhole covers, by the bye) in my pocket and interest in exchanging them for a pair of loudspeakers. YMMV, of course.

I have always wanted these speakers, and have found them locally.
We must not forget that BOTH of these factors affect the "value" from the OP's perspective.:yes:

I too have always wanted model 14's. 1k for a pair isn't justified for my budget when i know i can reach the same goal for a lot less by rehabbing/saving a trashed pair if i'm patient and careful. I have to be careful how i toss my manhole covers for risk of leaving one open.:D

But, that's my perspective and it's based largely on the things i know about 14's balanced with my ability to rehab a cheap dilapidated pair into something close to "as new".

Now if the OP had said "i have 1k to spend, i love tubes, and i want a pair of Altecs"................:scratch2:

One could get a nice pair of 846A Valencias for a thousand smackoleums. That's what I would do if I had that many manhole covers (which would be 20,000 manhole covers, by the bye) in my pocket and interest in exchanging them for a pair of loudspeakers. YMMV, of course.
FWIW, my 14s laid my Valencias to waste... Valencias were gone not long after that revelation, as were the Flamencos. As Bowtie said, the 14s are second only to the 19s -- what's that worth to you?

If someone came knocking on my door with $1000, looking to buy my Altecs, he'd walk away unhappy. :)

Last edited:
Well thank you all that chimed in! I think I'll give them a listen, though I am not interested in buying them for that kind of money. I'll see if he is flexable in price before I go down.

Believe it or not, there a a pair of 19's local as well for sale for $1250....the problem.....space! The 14's will fit the room, but the 19's...to big:thumbsdn:

Thanks for all the info all!!

Dave

Believe it or not, there a a pair of 19's local as well for sale for $1250....the problem.....space! The 14's will fit the room, but the 19's...to big:thumbsdn:
Bummer, I'm in the same boat -- not enough room for those. Don't see 19s local very often.

Well thank you all that chimed in! I think I'll give them a listen, though I am not interested in buying them for that kind of money. I'll see if he is flexable in price before I go down.

Thanks for all the info all!!

Dave

A pair Model 19s just sold on Ebay for $1750!!
They are in demand it would seem.

You know you want the 14s, so just go for it!

When is the next time the OP will see a pair of 14's? I would try to talk him down a bit but if you want them and they are in great shape then go for it. I read these D&S posts all the time and it sounds as though vintage speakers rain down on some of you so you can pick and choose. ebay sales have shown that these can go for the price that the op stated. Not all of us stumble upon the great deals. Just because one guy lucked into getting a pair of these for cheap does not mean that is the going rate. Sorry for the rant...

Location for large scarcer items is a big consideration -- 14s don't come 'round this part of the world very often, and shipping is pretty much out of the question. I won't buy anything heavy or expensive anymore if it has to be shipped. Often its worth a premium to be able to go over and pick up the item yourself.

Hey, 3000 posts! :)

Back
Top Bottom