Another LED thread? Really?

To get better light dispersion, use either "Straw hat" or flat top LEDs.
These were the second set of LED's I bought. The first had something like a 20 degree viewing angle. These are 360 degree led's from superbrightleds.com. The shape is the same dome shape.

I'm going to have to go about things a little differently with the CR 1040. The group of four bulbs that light the dial have one power source which I measured at 33v. I figure I'll wire up four led's in series with a 1k resistor.

I use warm white LEDs also. I think they look good in place of original bulbs. Not exact, but close. I use them with whatever colored lens or cover was there originally. I've had success with yamaha units, marantz and sansui. I use a pot to get the brightness I like and then measure the resistance and choose a resistor to solder in.

I use warm white LEDs from Cree. 5mm and I usually file the round top down flat and scuff the sides to disperse the light. I've been thinking about getting an orange or yellow magic marker and coloring the scuffed up LED to get it warmer. Closer to an incandescent bulb.

With some units though, I just like to use incandescent replacements.

I use warm white LEDs also. I think they look good in place of original bulbs. Not exact, but close. I use them with whatever colored lens or cover was there originally. I've had success with yamaha units, marantz and sansui. I use a pot to get the brightness I like and then measure the resistance and choose a resistor to solder in.

I use warm white LEDs from Cree. 5mm and I usually file the round top down flat and scuff the sides to disperse the light. I've been thinking about getting an orange or yellow magic marker and coloring the scuffed up LED to get it warmer. Closer to an incandescent bulb.

With some units though, I just like to use incandescent replacements.
I understand what you mean. I just did my CR 1040, and with the cool white it looks kind of light blue even with the green covers. I don't think it looks bad, but I was hoping for a bit more green.

I'll post a couple of pictures after I fix the meter lights. I made a careless mistake and shorted one of the bulbs. Whoops!

Okay, so here it is in all of its too-blue glory. Even with the green covers, this is how it came out.

It's almost a light teal color, which doesn't bother me at all... Even though I WAS hoping for green.

c950f4ac2090d0e24aa278e50c0ccf71.jpg

Okay, so here it is in all of its too-blue glory. Even with the green covers, this is how it came out.

It's almost a light teal color, which doesn't bother me at all... Even though I WAS hoping for green.

Looks darn nice to me, a rather soothing color. Would look great with a Lava Lamp of the same hue.

Ha ha! The plasma swirl light I have is a but darker blue, but I guess the plasma itself is probably a close match.

I was a bit nervous to post a picture since it seems like the general consensus is that Yamaha is better green, but I like to be a little different so it worked out good for me

I guess to try and make this thread somewhat useful, I should answer some of the questions I had.

First off, there ARE 12v LED's out there... Well, LED's with a built-in resistor. They are, I'm guessing, not bright enough.

I started off with some pretty bright LED's, but the dispersion was not good enough. I tried scuffing with no luck. I'm a little skeptical that filing would really do the trick as well.

To me, it's not worth the hassle anyway. Someone here mentioned 360 degree 5mm LED's and I found some online for about a buck and a half each that did the trick.

The CR 820 was pretty straight forward. 5 LED's, each with a 470 ohm 1/4 watt resistor on the + side.

The CR 1040 was a little different. I did 4 LED's in series with a 1k 1/2 watt resistor for the dial, and the other 5 were the same as the 820.

I figured I'd document this for anyone in the future who's searching and comes across it.

Since 4 of the 6 lights in my CR-440 were out, I decided to go with LED's. I put blue in all positions except for the dial pointer, which I used white. I know I'm probably gonna get some grief for not sticking with the light green, but I'm really happy with how it turned out. I looks better and less hot spotted in real life than in the pics.

Attachments

• yam blu.jpg
    yam blu.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 33
  • yam blu 2.jpg
    yam blu 2.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 28
Since 4 of the 6 lights in my CR-440 were out, I decided to go with LED's. I put blue in all positions except for the dial pointer, which I used white. I know I'm probably gonna get some grief for not sticking with the light green, but I'm really happy with how it turned out. I looks better and less hot spotted in real life than in the pics.

:scratch2: Doesn't look like yamaha anymore. No thanks. If it trips your trigger,thats what counts.

I like it. Still greenish, but different than original. Looks good to me.:thmbsp:

I like it. Still greenish, but different than original. Looks good to me.:thmbsp:
Thanks. I am not at all disappointed with how it looks, though I was a little surprised that it didn't come out a little greener.

Like the 840 a few posts up, I like to be different. I just have to say, in my opinion it still looks like a Yamaha to me!

Back
Top Bottom