Cr 800 right channel weak

Things to check. Does aggressively wiggling any of the front panel knobs , buttons or paddle switches do anything sound-wise to the right channel ? With power removed...Look the solder side of the function board over with a magnifying lens and a bright lamp.Look for -
A. Questionable (cold) solder connections.Sometimes slightly wiggling the components topside while observing the solder connections can help locate bad solder connections.
B. Cracked or damaged circuit board traces or the board itself.

Last edited:
Also check the fusistors on the PS board just for good measure- they drift, I just fixed a cr800 two nights ago. One of the 47ohm ones read 130.

Yeah I tried wriggling the front controls to see if contact changed and it didn't, this thing is built like a tank and there is no sloppyness anywhere, I've never seen a receiver so tight. I know Yamaha is known for bad solder joints so I'll have to take some time to check them out.

bktheking, you mentioned fuse resistors before, what do they look like ?

They look like resistors but they have a current associated with them on the board , marked with mA. I'm replacing all the transistors in the pre on mine , it's noisy at idle. Ksc1845's are going in it.

Ended up using ksc1815's- 1000% improvement, hiss and pop at shut off is gone- replace em. There's also 2 220 ohm fusistors on the pre board as well, should be checked for spec- mine were fine.

Back
Top Bottom