Yamaha CR-640: malfunctioning meters

Benz

Yeah Baby!
... yet another question from me... one day I may have an answer for someone!! :nerd:

Here goes:
- I just finished cleaning and lubing a CR-640 that has dead meters... the Signal Quality needle barely moves and never makes it past 20, and the FM Tuning is dead in its tracks. Both seem somewhat difficult to move with my finger (well not really, but it seems to me there should be no resistance at all). a) could the solution be as simple as just cleaning/de-oxit the "mechanism"? b) is there a proper way to perform a simple test with a multimeter that would help determine the source?

Ok... that was 2 questions I know. ;-)

If you could feed them a very small signal, you could test the movement.

Last edited:
Typical multimeter has a battery in the ohms scale, simply measure the resistance of the meters and see what happens.

Thank you both for the answers - I have ordered some bulbs for it from Dave... I'll attempt to test the meters when I open her up and replace the bulbs. I know the meters don't affect the way this yammy sounds, but it would be nice to get them working. :scratch2:

Be careful if you remove the faceplate to access the meters as they are fixed to the faceplate. The wires have slip-on clips to connect to the meters but sometimes they are really hard to remove.

way old bump .... Benz what did you find out? I have the same issue .. that and a missing speaker selector knob and one of the big flat knob too lol .. but the meters are the issue ..

I found a pair functioning with nice face plate on the bay for 19 bucks shipped so I Jumped at that price but now i want to fix the ones that were not working (assuming the new ones do work!!!) .. if i can fix them and pass a pair onto someone it would be awesome

:)

Merrylander I still have one of the yamaha 840 pre drive darlington packs if you still have a 640 that needs some help i cant be sure they are working but i would for sure send them to you as you have helped me and so many

Back
Top Bottom