Pioneer SX-1280 question

acdc7369

I've heard some horror stories about the SX-1980 having power supply issues, unobtainable parts, and in general being a huge pain in the ass to work on. Is the same true of the SX-1280?

Outputs are hard to come by and can be expensive if found. :yes:
If the set works, a good restore will insure the outputs will remain in reliable shape.
There are work-a-rounds.
Then no worse than others.

SX-1x80 series basically use some of the same parts, this was the introduction of Pioneer labeled IC's, which are hard or expensive to find. SX-1x50 series and earlier it was not so and they do not require as many work arounds if certain parts need replacing.
I'd stay away from a sx-1980, they are hugely expensive. So is a 1280 for that matter. Who actually needs that much power? Even so, if I needed a 300W/ch amp, i'd be using a separate for that!!

Which parts in the SX-1980 are hard to obtain. It appears to use similar types of output transistors as my SX-1050 with TO-220 cases.

A SX-1980, or SX-1280 output:

attachment.php

Attachments

• $_35.jpg
    $_35.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 50
Yup that package never really caught on did it :)
Semelab have a 400W transistor in a TO-264.
Sx-1x50 series was the last of TO-3 metal cans for Pioneer, since they were being replaced with cheaper to assemble plastic packages. The TO-3 package is still used by Semelabs, and Onsemi, it is a more reliable package but is dying out.

Back
Top Bottom