Finally got my Pioneer Dream System from the early 70's

BillyBatts

ALOHA!
Wanted this Vintage Pioneer system since I was a young teen. I was on a trip to the Midwest last month when I saw one of our fellow members post in BarterTown the Receiver, Dual Turntable and a bonus TEAC R2R that I also had my eye on as a young teen. Jumped on it and picked it up. The Receiver just needed DeOxit and Panel lights. The case is mint as is the front panel as you can see in the pics. The Dual needed a complete "loosening up" in the mechanisms, and some lube, and adjustment. Good to go now, and it looks factory fresh. Pics do not do it justice. It also came with a minty Original Dust Cover. Wow. The TEAC needed a new Capstan Drive Belt and some other small work. All working perfect now and looking great.

I also found in the same town a pair of very nice Pioneer CS-A700's in Walnut with the Lattice Grills that I also lusted for in my youth. These may have had the bass drivers replaced (or just refoamed and recapped), but that is fine, especially for what I paid. They needed a few days of hand polishing and cleaning on the cabinets, but look and sound absolutely spectacular now. And they weigh a ton. Man, Pioneer really made beefy speakers back then.

The only issue is, I needed this equipment like I need a toothache. WHERE to PUT IT? Living room next to the Yamaha Natural Sound system I suppose. Just need to buy an audio cabinet.

Pioneer SX-1000tw, Pioneer CS-A700's, Dual 1215s, TEAC A4010sl

Teenage Dream Fulfilled at an incredibly low cost. It was worth the wait. :)

20150726_162544.jpg

20150726_162508.jpg

20150726_162453.jpg

20150726_162409.jpg

20150726_162328.jpg

Thanks guys.

I remember reading Audiophile or Stereo Review (can't remember which) and seeing the (at the time) big power that Pioneer Receiver put out back then, when most of the stuff I was looking at was 10 or 20 watts. Also, that R2R was so beyond my scope of financial means, it was only a dream.

BTW, the back of the Receiver, for anyone that knows this vintage, has complete PERFECT and IN TACT Old School Pioneer speaker connectors. I was amazed. I was ready to start scrounging for them. No need. Amazingly.

20150726_175217.jpg

Congratulation have a variant of that receiver, the TD model. I cleaned all of the switches and it plays nicely. But it probably needs a little more work ... the L & R channels do not produce the same volume. How is your unit?

It's 100 percent, thanks for asking. No issues anywhere. It had a scratchy volume and balance, but some DeOx cleaned that right up. Very little dust interior, so someone really took care of it. I have a feeling it came out of an estate and was mostly idle and sitting in a clean environment for 30 plus years.

Simply a beautiful classic vintage system.

Thanks again, guys. I appreciate the congrats.

I have to say, I really love the sound of this system. I'm trying to keep an open mind and asking myself, "Is your joy of finally getting your teenage dream system influencing your listening?" - Perhaps.

Whatever the reason, the verdict is that it simply sounds great. I can't even imagine life with this system when I first wanted it 40 years ago. I probably would have been home "sick" from school a lot.... if you know what I mean. ;)

My feeling is that a stereo is for enjoying music on. WHY you enjoy the music on it...that's not really important.

My feeling is that a stereo is for enjoying music on. WHY you enjoy the music on it...that's not really important.

:thmbsp::thmbsp::thmbsp::thmbsp::thmbsp:

Probably one of the wisest posts I have ever read on AK.

Well said, sir. Short, sweet and right on target.

Congrats on finding your dream system :yes: the great thing about audio gear is unlike the girls I lusted after when a teenager the looks and quality do not deteriorate :D

Of course on second thought I don't have the same body I did when I was 18 either :scratch2:

Regards Snow

Congrats on finding your dream system :yes: the great thing about audio gear is unlike the girls I lusted after when a teenager the looks and quality do not deteriorate :D

Of course on second thought I don't have the same body I did when I was 18 either :scratch2:

Regards Snow

:D :thmbsp:

You gentlemen have the wisdom of Saul here on AK. More truer words have probably never been posted with regard to our teen years of Girls and Stereo, Snow. Well said.

I tried for 20 years to keep my young body. It's a loosing battle, but we do what we can to keep it as fit as possible. The Stereo? That's much easier to keep "fit". ;)

Back
Top Bottom