Did I do something good?

baystatetech

Hi all I think I must have done something good, because the wife allowed me to buy a new (OK new to me) amp. I opted for a MC2255. I have a few questions:
a. I would like to buy a Mcintosh preamp that will match this amp asthetically, and maybe age-wise. I would like to be able to hook up the following inputs.
My CD player
My tuner
My Apple airport express
My Tape deck
All of these are analog (RCA plug) outputs. I would also like the ability to connect two amps. Tone controls or an EQ would be nice as well. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
b. What means do I hook up the speaker wires to the barrier strips? Do I use spade or eyelet terminals on the wires? If so, where can I get these (specific size and source would be great)?
c. My main speakers are Mcintosh SR6s I think these may be 4 Ohm, which taps on the MC2255 should I hook them up to?
Thank you very much for any and all opinions
Frank

C 30, 32, 33, 34 would probably be the McIntosh preamplifiers that would fit your needs because...

they all have the inputs you need,

match the MC 2255 aesthetically,

have front panel input jacks (for a portable source device),

all have 3 sets of output jacks for 3 amplifiers - two sets are switchable from front panel switches; the C 30 has 4 (the 4th is variable via the front panel headphone volume control) and...

all have 5 band EQ plus C Variable loudness control.

(Thank God you didn't specify remote!) :D

In regards to speaker connections, you should use the common (C) & the 4 ohm tap if the speakers are indeed 4 ohm. Treat common as (-) and the 4 as (+). I use the spades that are commonly found on eBay. They are a big help!

HTH

Last edited:
Don't for get the C-37 if you do want a remote, its from the 7000 amp period, but has the best specs of the 16 inch wide units.

Thanks, can anyone shoot me an ebay link to some of those spade terminals, doing a search came up with to many results so I am not sure what will work. I really appreciate the responses.
Frank

Thanks for the suggestions, I am considering a c33 or c32. Also someone on another forum suggested a c41. I am not familiar with that model. Does anyone know anything about that?
Frank
Don't for get the C-37 if you do want a remote, its from the 7000 amp period, but has the best specs of the 16 inch wide units.

I can guess what some will say.....

All these units deserve a complete recap, as well as touching up solder joints etc.

I will yet get to the bottom of why a restored C35 can sound so much better than a stock c38 or c30....

C30 were low production units because they lacked a remote and were discontinued after only two years; now they seem to command ridiculous prices. C31, 33 or 34 are the better deals but I found a nice C30 with fresh glass for $500 from a fellow AKer. Join AK for access to the great and honest deals in the Barter Town section of this site!

C32 used ribbon cable for some of the internal wiring but many have been retrofitted/updated by now.

I just picked up a minty updated C32 from A/C as a stand-in for a tube preamplifier that's in the shop in my vintage system but wound up using it in the main rig - bumping the C30 into the vintage system.

All I can say about the C32 is that I am very impressed with it.

Also the C30 is the only one of that bunch that does not have a built-in "monitor" amp - (12 - 20 watt, depending on model).

Some audiophiles consider the presence of a power amp circuit (albeit small) detrimental to the function of the preamplifier but I have not found that to be the case. YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom