Upgrade: C28/MC2505 for MA6600?

southp

I've been quite happy with my vintage Mac combo since it came into my possession a few years ago, but it hasn't been without headache. I got the two units (C28 preamp and MC2505 amp) at decent prices, but both required a good cleaning and the amp needed new glass. Recently I've been having problems with the channel selector on the C28, and I'm itching for something hassle-free, with a remote, and more simple (i.e. less wires and shelf space!).

I've been looking at the recent integrated units and I've demoed the MA7000 at a local dealer. It's waaay more amp than I need so I've been doing my research on the MA6600 or MA6900. Neither of which I can find locally.

I mostly listen to vinyl (using the C28 preamp) and digital (from PC directly from an audiophile soundcard - so no need for a DAC). My speakers are B&W 602's.

Any thoughts here on an upgrade from my vintage setup to the MA6600?
Has anyone heard both systems and can make some comments?

Thanks for any help!

Personally, I think any of those units would be a major step up from what you have currently. I love my C28, but they require tons of TLC . . .

I'm sure the MA 6600 will sound great but will it have the vintage look and feel? Isn't the idea of this hobby to keep things pure and simple? It's like a good automatic watch it will always need adjustment and TLC but will a Sony give you the same experience?

I never had a vintage pre, but I went from a C41/MC2505 combo to an MA6500 this spring and don't regret it at all. Less wires, less footprint, same great McIntosh sound quality. In your case, you'll never have to worry about anything going bad, volume pots wearing out, etc.

I agree...the C28 requires quite a bit of TLC and it isn't very convenient when working with multiple sources.

I think you'll like the upgrade and if it were me, I'd do it.

Nothing against vintage components, but technology marches on. I'd go with the MA6600 if I were you.

C-28 has so many issues. I would move on, too as I did many years ago. You have to decide if you want remote balance control which I have enjoyed auditioning and wish I had some times though my controls are with in arms reach. I prefer the graphic controls but miss the ability to adjust the channels separately. If you dub a lot for back up or for the car you might prefer separates with more flexibility. Like having a C-40 and a MC 152, MC 252, 302, etc. I'd keep the 2505 if you have a use for it. I use mine to run my electrostatic as well as my dynamic headphones. Whether Stax, Sennheiser, Koss, or Beyer, it does a fantastic job. It also runs the auxiliary speakers thru ought the house when called upon.

I'm sure the MA 6600 will sound great but will it have the vintage look and feel? Isn't the idea of this hobby to keep things pure and simple? It's like a good automatic watch it will always need adjustment and TLC but will a Sony give you the same experience?

Hi fellow Montrealer and Mac-lover!
I totally see what you're saying but the longer I've been in this hobby, the more I've moved away from the vintage purity and more towards the purity of the sound I was getting.

At the star I had vintage Pioneers, Marantz and HK along with Pionner, JBL and Dynaco speakers. Then when I wanted to go higher end I went with my vintage Mac, which certainly looks beautiful and harkens back to a simpler time. But when it came time to replace the old speakers, I went with something more modern in my B&W's. And then when I wanted to upgrade my TT, I went from a vintage Rega, to a project Lenco, and now back to a brand new Rega.

I'm just at the point where all the tinkering and repairs take away from the enjoyment of sitting and listening and not worrying about whether I'm going to get sound out of the right channel, or if there will be a hum from the turntable next time I turn on the pre-amp.

Back to the vintage look and feel - yes I totally agree. But I think even modern Mac's do a good job at keeping that look. And a good remote control can make me forget about some LED lights!

C-28 has so many issues. I would move on, too as I did many years ago. You have to decide if you want remote balance control which I have enjoyed auditioning and wish I had some times though my controls are with in arms reach. I prefer the graphic controls but miss the ability to adjust the channels separately. If you dub a lot for back up or for the car you might prefer separates with more flexibility. Like having a C-40 and a MC 152, MC 252, 302, etc. I'd keep the 2505 if you have a use for it. I use mine to run my electrostatic as well as my dynamic headphones. Whether Stax, Sennheiser, Koss, or Beyer, it does a fantastic job. It also runs the auxiliary speakers thru ought the house when called upon.

My current C-28 issue is bizarre.
The right channel cuts out, but only when Phone 1 or 2 is selected. It never cuts out when I'm on aux (running from my PC). When it's out, I toggle back and forth on the Mode Selector (mono/stereo/L-R, etc) it can sometimes come back. Or if I switch inputs (tuner, aux, phono, mic, etc) it can come back. This can take 5 minutes of fiddling to get it back. Most often I give up and listen to something off the PC instead.

Worst of all, I just had it in the shop for other issues and a cleaning last year, and now this happens. I have to admit, while it was out of the sytem I switched to a simple Rega Brio-R and I was tempted to just stick with it because it sounded really good and was so simply and reliable!

Sounds like you definitely need a modern unit! I like the fact that the newest Mc components still pay homage to the classics in look and feel.

Well as I see it, you already have a first class amplifier. Why not simply sell the C28 and upgrade your preamplifier to a later, more reliable & flexible model?

In that vein I would suggest C30/32/33/34.

If remote is important, you can always add a CR7 with any of the above.

Otherwise C31/35/37 are remote controlled but do not have the "classic" style of the 30/32/33/34.

Well as I see it, you already have a first class amplifier. Why not simply sell the C28 and upgrade your preamplifier to a later, more reliable & flexible model?

In that vein I would suggest C30/32/33/34.

If remote is important, you can always add a CR7 with any of the above.

Otherwise C31/35/37 are remote controlled but do not have the "classic" style of the 30/32/33/34.

I like this idea. I've been looking at some more modern pre-amps this week. Something like the C41 might do the trick? It's certainly cheaper than going for a 6600.

I've seen people swapping knobs and end caps to match old and new units. This could work with the 2505 I assume?

I like this idea. I've been looking at some more modern pre-amps this week. Something like the C41 might do the trick? It's certainly cheaper than going for a 6600.

I've seen people swapping knobs and end caps to match old and new units. This could work with the 2505 I assume?

Indeed you can.

I believe Moderator Mike Gibson has done this with his MC 2505 - perhaps he'll show a picture of it if he checks in here.

MC 2505 looks astonishingly good with a set of MC 2205 knobs on. Trouble is finding a set! McIntosh was said to be rather stingy about selling knobs for the purpose of "updating" older gear.

May have to pick 'em up piecemeal until you've got all 5...

As for preamplifier to replace your C28, there are many excellent options.

As I have said, if you're not to fussy about having the old school "look" - C 31/35/37 are outstanding!

Last edited:
As 62caddy said, keep the amp. Lose the C28. I had many C28s, and they all failed except the last one (and it didn't fail because I sold it before it could). That is the weak link. You need a real pre to make the 2505 shine, and I am not talking C26, 27, 29, etc.

Save your money and get a tube pre. And also I am not a fan of B&W speakers with that generation of Mc amp. They are too bright. Get some JBLs and a Mc tube pre (the guys on this board have heard me say the same thing for years - sorry guys).

I agree that the C28's are not perfect but they are not as bad as some people say they are.
Mike

They probably aren't that bad, just bad for a McIntosh product in *general*, because we expect such high standards out of their equipment based on past results. It's the same reason the C2500 isn't as sterling (so far) as most of the other modern pres. Hopefully it doesn't become the C28 of the future.

I have a C28 that sounds simply fabulous. But, no different than the car in my avatar - you need to be prepared to get your hands dirty with it once in a while. If that's not your cup of tea, look for another preamp.

When I first owned one I wasn't a huge fan of it either. Of the several I've had experience with over the last twenty years only one of them had an actual failure where it did not work properly. The other four all were somewhat noisy and had volume controls that were off balance but none of them ever failed or hummed or had the phono hum problem I've read about. As my ears became more educated I developed a little respect for them because they didn't do anything offensive.
Mike

Back
Top Bottom