I don't think I have enough McIntosh

62caddy

Trust but verify
Subscriber
Just wondering to myself how this all happened.

MAC 1500
MR 78
MR 80
C 30
C 32
MC 240
MC 2505
MC 2125
MC 2125
MC 2155
MX 110
CR 7
CR 7
MQ 101

...not to mention 2 TTs, 2 CD players, a cassette deck, 5 pairs of speakers, and other accessories.

This is a terrible sickness. :drool:

Why yes it is........:yes:

Get more, you can never have enough!!........:thmbsp:

MAC 1500
MR 78
MR 80
C 30
C 32
MC 240
MC 2505
MC 2125
MC 2125
MC 2155
MX 110
CR 7
CR 7
MQ 101

...not to mention 2 TTs, 2 CD players, a cassette deck, 5 pairs of speakers, and other accessories.

Very nice collection you have there. Does all of the gear get used?

I don't see any McIntosh speakers on that list ... or MI units ... or mono blocks ... or BIG stereo amps ...

May be time to visit Audio Classics again ....

Well, if you ever want to prune the herd... I think there are many people here willing to help you!

:)

lol That day will probably be coming soon!

I don't see any McIntosh speakers on that list ... or MI units ... or mono blocks ... or BIG stereo amps ...

May be time to visit Audio Classics again ....

Going up there can prove hazardous to one's wallet! :eek:

Why yes it is........:yes:

At least for the C 32 and MR 78 - those two are on you Kev. :D

Very nice collection you have there. Does all of the gear get used?

For the most part. Can switch between the MC 240 & 2505 in the vintage system with the MX 110 which is down at the moment. I just got another preamp to have as a backup for the MX 110 - plus I'm waiting for the MR 78 from Terry. I hope to have that back in a few weeks.

You "need" some high powered amps!

Probably!

*To tell you the truth, the two 2125s & 2155 in my main rig are more than "amp"le :D. You would be surprised at just how loud 1 watt can be - when 6 speakers are each getting 1 watt. 10 watts? Don't ask.

IMO - the advantage of multiple speakers outweighs he drawbacks. :)

Incidentally, I just had A/C address some meter issues with the 2155. They tested it at 200 wpc @ 1% THD. Not bad for a 30-something amplifier rated at 150 wpc. Rated total of the 3 amplifiers would be 390 wpc - in reality, its probably closer to 500.

MC2125s and MC2155s are great amps. You should try the MC2125s strapped one day. You'll be like - WHOA!

You folks don't want to see my list, but 4 things he's got I've got; the MR-78, MR-80, MX-110, and the MC-240.

I'm not surprised that the 2155 put out those levels of power, just that powerguard tended to limit things to 1/2 percent distortion.

Always liked the 2125, and 2155. The 2125 was a lot of amplifier in a 5 1/4 inch cabinet.

@ 62Caddy, which unit do you find your self listening to, or using the most, and what is it about that unit that separates it from the rest?

I realized that this year I sold a C41, MX119, MC2505, MR71, and the MVP851 is probably next on the block. My only additions were a D100 and MA6500. I'm running a McIntosh deficit, going to have to really come through in 2015 :)

@ 62Caddy, which unit do you find your self listening to, or using the most, and what is it about that unit that separates it from the rest?

That is a good question but difficult to answer because of the variables involved. The main system uses the three largest amplifiers and either an MC 240 or MC 2505 powers the vintage system - plus the speakers are different in the two systems.

However, a few observations I have made:

1. MC 240 and MC 2505 sound surprisingly similar, not to say identical - to my ears at any rate. Sometimes the 2505 seems to have a slight edge in bass extension, more so at higher listening levels. I've A/B'ed them quite a lot with an amplifier switcher and I doubt many souls could positively say which amplifier of the two is running.

2. MC 2125 & 2155 are, for all practical purposes identical sounding amplifiers - except slightly more power of the 2155.

3. Comparing MC 2505 with 2125 - the 2505 seems to have a slightly mellower character. That is not to say highs are lacking in the 2505, they're a tad softer than with the 2125.

4. Despite the considerably less elaborate setup of the vintage system (2 speakers instead of 6) and with tube tuner-preamp (MX110) vs SS preamp, this is a system that could satisfy me forever. Although it doesn't have the outer reaches or earth shaking capacity of the larger system, but for an honest & credible performance, it can't be beat.

5. I have come to the realization that power amplifiers impart far less "signature" on a setup than the preamplifier.

Generally speaking, what I like about McIntosh equipment is its excellent overall tonal balance and musicality. Everything seems to fit just so - as the musicians and engineers intended - if that makes any sense.

Eric

MAC 1500
MR 78
MR 80
C 30
C 32
MC 240
MC 2505
MC 2125
MC 2125
MC 2155
MX 110
CR 7
CR 7
MQ 101

Infectious yes. Sickness? Not in my book. Very impressive.

I recently contracted the same disease and find myself chasing McAmps for an upgrade.

It's like audio Ebola!

It's kevzeps fault. :D

Thanks for the wonderful response. It seems like you have all basis covered with such a diverse array of Mac equipment.

I don't own a Macintosh yet, but am researching and looking forward to making a SS amp purchase in the not to distant future. Need to sell a couple of items first.

I'm leaning towards a more modern amp, like the MC352, MC452 or MC500 because of the Power Guard, Autoformer etc. I plan on using an existing tube preamp I own, and upgrade speakers down the line.

Back
Top Bottom